Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Plus, they aren't going to put a JAG on that list. They'll save that for a star player.
    Might be Tretter's home, eh?

I wonder what the rotation will be at ILB without Brad Jones - obviously Lattimore and Barrington with Hawk, but beyond that, do we finally see Bradford there? Or a lot more of Hubbard (I think he played ILB last week), maybe the wet dream of us posters, Sean Richardson playing there?

Barrington, as he was in the previous two games, looks to be the #1 sub. Lattimore after him.

If an OLB moves, he will go to the end of the end of the depth chart. Offseason prep is 80% over.

Richardson isn't going to see ILB this year unless a boulder falls on the first string defense in its entirety.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/new-p...272512451.html

The Packers' 3-4 is more of a "flat" scheme but Guion believes his "attack-and-react" style will translate to nose tackle.
    I have not seen Dunne refer to the Packer and Caper Defense in this way. I wonder if this is Guion's terminology for it. We might be overestimating the penetrating part of the change. Might simply be more consistent one gap.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Barrington, as he was in the previous two games, looks to be the #1 sub. Lattimore after him.

If an OLB moves, he will go to the end of the end of the depth chart. Offseason prep is 80% over.

Richardson isn't going to see ILB this year unless a boulder falls on the first string defense in its entirety.
    I'm not so sure that Barrington has moved ahead of Lattimore. I read somewhere that seemed to indicate Lattimore would be the top backup. I think Lattimore rebounded with a better game. He can cover. I think he was a little lax in the first two games, and I criticized him for it. I would think Lattimore would be the guy to replace Jones and Barrington would be the guy to replace Hawk.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Tyler Dunne
    @TyDunne
    First cuts announced: CB Antonio Dennard, WR Chris Harper, LB Korey Jones, FB Ina Liaina, QB Chase Rettig and WR Gerrard Sheppard.
    Harper the first casualty among the WRs - thought I remembered some here having high hopes for him. Looks like that's not going to happen, the former 4th round pick can't seem to put it together. I wonder if he gets another chance somewhere.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I wonder if the players the Packers cut now either are 1) not eligible for the practice squad based on service time (Harper) or 2) the team's indication that these players were not candidates for the practice squad.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I wonder if the players the Packers cut now either are 1) not eligible for the practice squad based on service time (Harper) or 2) the team's indication that these players were not candidates for the practice squad.
    Actually, I think Harper is eligible under the new rules.

I read an article this week that said many teams use the first cut for players they would like on their PS. Few teams want to mess with waiver claims now with the next cutdown next weekend.

Thornton isn't going anywhere. I think he's shown more in the games than the group think amongst the writers.
    After watching him closely in this last game, Thornton was pretty awful. I thought Boyd played well. Pennel was solid, but had some shaky moments. Nobody else stood out among the young DTs.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Harper should be PS eligible. (edit: the Urinal scented is saying he is http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/272495891.html)

He'll have an accrued season towards FA, but he has to be on the game day roster 9 times for it to count wrt practice squad for it to affect his eligibility. Even if he was (I doubt it but didn't check) the new rules allow there to be up to two players who do have an accrued season on the PS.

I'm not sure he's in the conversation though. He didn't even make it past the first cuts, in the past the TT seems to sign a couple of bubble players to the PS, and brings in a couple late cuts from other teams.
    Last edited by Guiness; 08-25-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I'm not so sure that Barrington has moved ahead of Lattimore. I read somewhere that seemed to indicate Lattimore would be the top backup. I think Lattimore rebounded with a better game. He can cover. I think he was a little lax in the first two games, and I criticized him for it. I would think Lattimore would be the guy to replace Jones and Barrington would be the guy to replace Hawk.
    Then they are trying to up Barrington's profile because he has gone in first in both the last two games. Could be to get tape against better players, but usually that means they want to see how he projects.

But as we have seen before, the Packers do stick with known commodities at times when there is not a clear winner.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Like Colt, those players passed through waivers. I'm pretty sure you can put a player directly on IR as part of the cut down to 65, not just after that point. Even if they could reach a settlement for say 8 weeks, with the 6 week delay after that, at best he could practice the last 2 weeks plus playoffs on the PS, and would be somewhat more likely to end up on some other team's PS.
    Nope. They don't all pass through waivers. Now, I've seen the vested veteran rules, and they clearly make sense. But the Jets rookie has been reported specifically as not going through waivers before heading to IR. I don't know what to make of it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...jured-reserve/
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Nope. They don't all pass through waivers. Now, I've seen the vested veteran rules, and they clearly make sense. But the Jets rookie has been reported specifically as not going through waivers before heading to IR. I don't know what to make of it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...jured-reserve/
    OK, I'm officially confused now if the article is correct.
    It was reported immediately by some that the Packers wanted to put Lyerla on IR, but that he had to clear waivers first.
    I don't understand why they have delayed putting Barclay and Abbredaris on IR, two players they clearly do not want to lose in waivers. Both are headed to surgery if not already operated on. Why the delay?

A lot of people do not really understand the rules with respect to preseason injured reserve. That isn't limited to the amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Guion might be staying on the NFI list until week 6. If the cavalry is needed on the DL by then he can be activated or else he can be cut or stashed on the IR.
    He is practicing today so maybe his presence will soften the blow of losing Raji.

Maybe its only preventative.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 4m
    Here's Linsley. Has some type of brace around his arm.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 57m
    Letroy Guion's first training camp practice. At 6-4, he's taller than everyone else on the D-Line. pic.twitter.com/pBTPg2SV9P

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Then they are trying to up Barrington's profile because he has gone in first in both the last two games. Could be to get tape against better players, but usually that means they want to see how he projects.

But as we have seen before, the Packers do stick with known commodities at times when there is not a clear winner.
    Are you sure because it seems to me that they come in at the same time. JSO indicated today that Lattimore is the first option in base and Barrington in dime. Perhaps with Jones out, the first play was dime, so Barrington would come in first. You would think Lattimore would be better in coverage, but he's had his problems this preseason.

Are you sure because it seems to me that they come in at the same time. JSO indicated today that Lattimore is the first option in base and Barrington in dime. Perhaps with Jones out, the first play was dime, so Barrington would come in first. You would think Lattimore would be better in coverage, but he's had his problems this preseason.
    Its possible, though I am certain Barrngton went in first when BJones went out versus the Raiders, unless Lattimore went in for a snap or two and then came out for some reason. It could have been nickel, but cannot have been dime because both he and Hawk were out there.

In Rams game, I might have missed some Lattimore snaps, my memory is not as specific about when the subs went in.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
    #Packers DNPs:
    R.Neal
    Goodson
    Thomas
    B.Jones
    Barclay
    Tiller
    Tretter
    Abbrederis
    Bostick
    Raji

Twitter highlights:

-Guion practiced in full, including some half line drill.
    -Sitton was at center, including half line drill as one of the backups (not sure about Lang)
    -Lattimore was in red zone D with #1, but it was an odd mix. According to Twitter, neither Shields nor Tramontana were out there, it was all safeties including Bush.
    -Just to confuse the issue, both Bradford and Palmer got snaps at ILB.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
    Hello, Letroy Guion. Blows up the O-Line in half line (the back-ups) to take down Perkins for a 5-yard loss. The guy is fresh.

#savior