Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I'm a little confused about what this means, and why the Packers would do it this way. It could mean, of course, that they are done with him.

What's the advantage of an injury settlement? Should be less money than a full year's salary, and they can re-sign him after a period of time, saving the 'designated for return' tag.

Am I getting this right?
    Maybe he gets pee essed.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax
    Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 12s
    Well then RT @TomPelissero #Packers waived Colt Lyerla with an injury settlement after all.

Maybe he isn't done.

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 2m
    Reasoning for #Packers waiving Lyerla: if they IR'd him, that'd mean another full year without playing football. This way he has a chance.
    But this means not until Week 7 for the Packers, right? IF they still want him.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Just the same as getting PUP'd but without the practice window.

It sounds to me like they are done with Lyerla. He can't return to the team until 6 weeks after the injury settlement, which would be Week 14. However he can sign with any team or practice squad after Week 8 besides us.

If we really wanted him, I believe we would have kept him on IR. It's always possible he didn't want to be on IR and requested the settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    It sounds to me like they are done with Lyerla. He can't return to the team until 6 weeks after the injury settlement, which would be Week 14. However he can sign with any team or practice squad after Week 8 besides us.

If we really wanted him, I believe we would have kept him on IR. It's always possible he didn't want to be on IR and requested the settlement.
    Does signing an injury settlement automatically mean out until week 8?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Does signing an injury settlement automatically mean out until week 8?
    We gave him an 8 week injury settlement. 8 weeks plus the 6 weeks equals 14 weeks for the Packers. Any other team may sign him after the 8 weeks.

A lot of tea leaf reading going on here. It's all speculation, of course.

But based on what TT has said (which he never tips his hand, so it's pointless to "translate" what he says) and what the agent has said (again, could have an ulterior motive), GB remains interested in Colt, but likely only if the next four months go well when Colt is independent.

I get the impression through the few agent tweets I read that both Colt and the agent are grateful for the Packers to take a chance on him, have a good relationship with the Packers, and both are more interested in getting Colt back to the Packers later than to another team.

Of course, it's all speculation, of course.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I think we will still be paying him for 8 more weeks. If we put him on permanent IR he couldn't play this season but because he is injured they just can't just cut him outright, right? If this is what the thinking is they may have decided he should be playing/practicing instead of sitting in meetings. Now in a few weeks we could add him to the PS so he can get the coaching he desperately needs. Or maybe another team will sign him once his knee heals. IMO Ted and company thought this was the best thing for the player. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I think we will still be paying him for 8 more weeks. If we put him on permanent IR he couldn't play this season but because he is injured they just can't just cut him outright, right? If this is what the thinking is they may have decided he should be playing/practicing instead of sitting in meetings. Now in a few weeks we could add him to the PS so he can get the coaching he desperately needs. Or maybe another team will sign him once his knee heals. IMO Ted and company thought this was the best thing for the player. Kudos.
    He was the 7th TE on the depth chart. It's business, not personal.

Leave the gun, take the cannoli. (Fixed - too much multi-tasking).
    Last edited by Teamcheez1; 08-26-2014 at 05:16 PM.

He was the 7th TE on the depth chart. It's business, not personal.

Take the gun, leave the cannoli.
    It's leave the gun, take the cannoli.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

On Tuesday, the Packers placed the following six players on injured reserve:

WR Jared Abbrederis (knee),
    G/T Don Barclay (knee)
    RB Rajion Neal (knee)
    DL B.J. Raji (biceps)
    LB Joe Thomas (knee)
    G Andrew Tiller (calf).

We are now at 75 players.

On Tuesday, the Packers placed the following six players on injured reserve:

WR Jared Abbrederis (knee),
    G/T Don Barclay (knee)
    RB Rajion Neal (knee)
    DL B.J. Raji (biceps)
    LB Joe Thomas (knee)
    G Andrew Tiller (calf).

We are now at 75 players.
    Six to IR. I wonder what the league average (to IR) is?

Lyerla is done in GB methinks. It was probably Lyerla that wanted out. He probably just really wants to try and play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Lyerla is done in GB methinks. It was probably Lyerla that wanted out. He probably just really wants to try and play this year.

TT said this at the presser:
    On if he wants Colt Lyerla back... I don't know. Reached an injury settlement with Colt and he's a free agent. We'll see.
    Which is TT speak for "No, he's not good enough". The comments about possibly switching Colt to FB makes it sound like they had some serious issues with him at TE, most likely given the reports of drops it is his hands.

I doubt Colt pushed for the settlement. 8 weeks on IR is $150K for him. TT probably said if he forces the full year on IR, TT will put word out and Colt won't even get a sniff from any team in the future.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    TT said this at the presser:

Which is TT speak for "No, he's not good enough". The comments about possibly switching Colt to FB makes it sound like they had some serious issues with him at TE, most likely given the reports of drops it is his hands.

I doubt Colt pushed for the settlement. 8 weeks on IR is $150K for him. TT probably said if he forces the full year on IR, TT will put word out and Colt won't even get a sniff from any team in the future.
    I really doubt that's the way things work, but I don't really have a better explanation either. It will be a damn shame if Lyerla catches on with some other team and becomes a decent player - that we could have had for a mere additional $150,000.

I could also see a bad end for the player here too. Instead of being in a healthy and controlled environment with the Packers, he is out there on his own, a history of drug abuse, and $150,000 to feed his habit.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I really doubt that's the way things work, but I don't really have a better explanation either. It will be a damn shame if Lyerla catches on with some other team and becomes a decent player - that we could have had for a mere additional $150,000.

I could also see a bad end for the player here too. Instead of being in a healthy and controlled environment with the Packers, he is out there on his own, a history of drug abuse, and $150,000 to feed his habit.
    I may well be overstating the pressure TT put on Colt and his agent to take the settlement. I really think that TT is done with Colt, first with putting him through wavers instead of straight to IR, then the settlement and finally his comment, it all adds up to not being interested in keeping Colt. Sure, this could be a big mistake and the guy could wind up being a good one. That happens, but this is a business and if you don't see a future for a player, get rid of him as soon and as cheaply as possible. TT decided that the rights to Colt were not worth an additional $150K.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I may well be overstating the pressure TT put on Colt and his agent to take the settlement. I really think that TT is done with Colt, first with putting him through wavers instead of straight to IR, then the settlement and finally his comment, it all adds up to not being interested in keeping Colt. Sure, this could be a big mistake and the guy could wind up being a good one. That happens, but this is a business and if you don't see a future for a player, get rid of him as soon and as cheaply as possible. TT decided that the rights to Colt were not worth an additional $150K.
    I think you are misreading the comments. Lyerla will be/is a free agent. TT isn't going to send out a signal to other teams that he wants him back eventually...not fair to the packers or the player to do that. He simply stated a fact. Free agent. We will reassess later if he isn't already with another team.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Bummer about Rajion Neal. I was hoping to see him as one of the annual surprise undrafted FAs.

Thomas and Neal are definite stashes. Have to think Tiller, too.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Thomas and Neal are definite stashes. Have to think Tiller, too.
    Most of the practice squad comes from other teams.

Or maybe not. But a lot do.