Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Battles

Training Camp Battles

Quarterback

Lock to start: Aaron Rodgers (pretty sure about this one)

In a perfect world, Tolzien would show enough that the Packers could just keep him and Rodgers. After what happened last year though, they will probably keep Flynn. Tolzien needs to show he can eventually be more than a #3 to make the team.

Runningback

Lock to start: Eddie Lacy

This may be the team's most settled position. James Starks and DuJuan Harris are excellent depth when healthy. John Kuhn should continue to be a fixture until someone can match his pass blocking excellence. Rajion Neal is an interesting guy but there may not be room for him.

Wide Receiver

Locks to start: Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb

Jarrett Boykin and Davante Adams should bet most of the reps at the #3 and #4 positions. That leaves Jared Abbrederis, Kevin Dorsey, Allex Gillett, Chris Harper, Jeff Janis and Myles White to fight for probably 2 spots. Myles White might be the fastest. Abbrederis' return abilities might give him an edge. The others are the type of physical receivers the Packers like. Great competition here.

Tight End

Locks to start: None

This may be the team's most unsettled position. Quarless is the only guy with much experience, but he is just marginal as a starter. Richard Rodgers was the talk of the OTA's, and seems to have a lot of natural pass catching ability. As does Brandon Bostick. Lyerla has a ton of talent, but we all know about the baggage. Ryan Taylor has been primarily a special teams player. He needs to show more. probably battling for 4 spots here.

Offensive Line

Locks to start: Josh Sitton, T. J. Lang

At Center, J.C. Tretter starts camp as the starter and will be battled by Corey Linsley and PS holdover Garth Gerhart. At LT Bakhtiari is the starter and will be battled by Derek Sherrod. AT RT it's Bulaga and Barclay. If Bulaga stays healthy and wins the job, Barclay may back up at G/T. Probably keeping 8-9 here.

Defensive Line

Lock to start: B. J. Raji

In base it's expected that Datone Jones will be at one DE. The other could be a combination of Mike Neal, Mike Daniels, Josh Boyd and Khyri Thornton. Letroy Guion and Boyd will probably battle for backup NT reps. In Nickel, Daniels should be a fixture, with a rotation of other guys at the other DT position. With the DL in flux, there's a lot to sort out here. Probably keeping 7-8 here.

Inside Linebacker

Lock to start: A.J. Hawk

Not a ton of drama here. Sam Barrington and Jamari Lattimore will try to push Brad Jones. Maybe Jake Doughty will make some noise.

Outside linebacker

Lock to start: Clay Matthews.

Julius Peppers and Nick Perry will be battling to start opposite Matthews. Mike Neal will get reps here and on the DL. Andy Mulumba could be in the mix too, although UDFA OLB's haven't fared too well in their 2nd season here. Carl Bradford and Adrian Hubbard could also be in the mix. Nate Palmer needs to improve to have a chance. Pretty good depth here when healthy.

Cornerback

Locks to start: Sam Shields, Tramon Williams

If fully recovered, Casey Hayward should have the inside track on the nickel position. If he doesn't win the starting Safety position, Micah Hyde could see time here as well. Demetri Goodson is an intriguing prospect/project. Jumal Rolle could be in the mix. And let's not forget Jarrett Bush!

Safety

Lock to start: Morgan Burnett

Looks like Ha Ha and Hyde will battle for time opposite Burnett. Richardson is an intriguing physical specimen who could be a factor if he improves in coverage. Could there be room for Jim Leonhard?

Special Teams

Same old same old (which isn't bad)
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Quarterback

Lock to start: Aaron Rodgers (pretty sure about this one)

In a perfect world, Tolzien would show enough that the Packers could just keep him and Rodgers. After what happened last year though, they will probably keep Flynn. Tolzien needs to show he can eventually be more than a #3 to make the team. After an entire offseason in MM's QB school Tolzien should be much better than he showed last year. He is the better athlete so the QB backup battle will be one of the better ones this summer.

Runningback

Lock to start: Eddie Lacy

This may be the team's most settled position. James Starks and DuJuan Harris are excellent depth when healthy. John Kuhn should continue to be a fixture until someone can match his pass blocking excellence. Rajion Neal is an interesting guy but there may not be room for him. Neal might be a good candidate for the PS.

Wide Receiver

Locks to start: Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb

Jarrett Boykin and Davante Adams should bet most of the reps at the #3 and #4 positions. That leaves Jared Abbrederis, Kevin Dorsey, Allex Gillett, Chris Harper, Jeff Janis and Myles White to fight for probably 2 spots. Myles White might be the fastest. Abbrederis' return abilities might give him an edge. The others are the type of physical receivers the Packers like. Great competition here.

Tight End

Locks to start: None

This may be the team's most unsettled position. Quarless is the only guy with much experience, but he is just marginal as a starter. Richard Rodgers was the talk of the OTA's, and seems to have a lot of natural pass catching ability. As does Brandon Bostick. Lyerla has a ton of talent, but we all know about the baggage. Ryan Taylor has been primarily a special teams player. He needs to show more. probably battling for 4 spots here.

Offensive Line

Locks to start: Josh Sitton, T. J. Lang

At Center, J.C. Tretter starts camp as the starter and will be battled by Corey Linsley and PS holdover Garth Gerhart. At LT Bakhtiari is the starter and will be battled by Derek Sherrod. AT RT it's Bulaga and Barclay. If Bulaga stays healthy and wins the job, Barclay may back up at G/T. Probably keeping 8-9 here. Unless he is injured again - god forbid - Bulaga is the starter at RT. Tretter will most likely win the center spot. LT might be the most intriguing if Sherrod plays like a first round pick this summer.

Defensive Line

Lock to start: B. J. Raji

In base it's expected that Datone Jones will be at one DE. The other could be a combination of Mike Neal, Mike Daniels, Josh Boyd and Khyri Thornton. Letroy Guion and Boyd will probably battle for backup NT reps. In Nickel, Daniels should be a fixture, with a rotation of other guys at the other DT position. With the DL in flux, there's a lot to sort out here. Probably keeping 7-8 here. Jones most likely is the other starter.

Inside Linebacker

Lock to start: A.J. Hawk

Not a ton of drama here. Sam Barrington and Jamari Lattimore will try to push Brad Jones. Maybe Jake Doughty will make some noise.

Outside linebacker

Lock to start: Clay Matthews.

Julius Peppers and Nick Perry will be battling to start opposite Matthews. Mike Neal will get reps here and on the DL. Andy Mulumba could be in the mix too, although UDFA OLB's haven't fared too well in their 2nd season here. Carl Bradford and Adrian Hubbard could also be in the mix. Nate Palmer needs to improve to have a chance. Pretty good depth here when healthy.

Cornerback

Locks to start: Sam Shields, Tramon Williams

If fully recovered, Casey Hayward should have the inside track on the nickel position. If he doesn't win the starting Safety position, Micah Hyde could see time here as well. Demetri Goodson is an intriguing prospect/project. Jumal Rolle could be in the mix. And let's not forget Jarrett Bush!

Safety

Lock to start: Morgan Burnett

Looks like Ha Ha and Hyde will battle for time opposite Burnett. Richardson is an intriguing physical specimen who could be a factor if he improves in coverage. Could there be room for Jim Leonhard? I have my doubts there is interest in Leonard. We have an opening on the TC roster and Leonard is still unemployed.

Special Teams

Same old same old (which isn't bad)

I notice no mention of Peppers wrt the DL. You don't envision him getting any reps at DE, strictly OLB?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Tolzien is not a better athlete than Flynn, they are both average. I see Flynn winning the backup job unless an injury occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I notice no mention of Peppers wrt the DL. You don't envision him getting any reps at DE, strictly OLB?
    I forgot to mention Peppers on the DL. However, the Packers are going to want to watch his snap count, so if he is getting significant snaps at OLB, he may not be on the line much. How they choose to utilize Peppers will be an ongoing story.

Excellent Post, Joe - your own work or copied somewhere? Most of it is pretty straight forward. a few things might be a little bit debatable, though.

Raji a lock to start, and Daniels not a lock? I hope they do some experimenting in the preseason with a base D of no fatties. I notice you left out Jerel Worthy. I'd rather see him or Boyd at NT than Raji. I doubt Guion sticks.

I'm really rooting for Tolzien to make Flynn unnecessary, but good call on that being a very visible battle.

I'm expecting Carl Bradford to get a good look at ILB and maybe beat out both Brad Jones and Lattimore.

I think Quarless is a lock or close to it at TE, and he will shine as a starter. This should be the most interesting camp battle. Behind Quarless, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them find a way to keep all five you mentioned and Stoneburner too. Of the six, I see Bostick as the most likely not to stick - assuming nothing goes wrong in a non-football way with Lyerla. I wonder how each of them will pan out on special teams.

I never liked Richardson or Banjo at Safety. Leonhard would be nice to have if he has anything left. Hyde may not be the only Corner getting reps at Safety.

Other than that, you seem to be spot on. I'll mention a long shot, though: Linsley maybe saving a roster spot by taking over as Long Snapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I see Flynn winning the backup job unless an injury occurs.
    I agree, but then the question is, do you even bother to keep a third QB like Tolzien (or anyone else)? Someone on the PS, sure, but do you waste a spot on the 53 man roster for a guy you don't ever even want to have active on game days, let alone play? I think not.

Flynn could and should be the current Doug Pederson; content backing up Rodgers, making a million or so a year, for the next 5 or 6 years until the Packers begin looking for Rodgers successor. Flynn is not going to have a career as a starter, but he can have a long career as a backup in GB, if he wants it.

I think WR is going to be very interesting. Adams will be expected to show potential, of course. I read several reports that said Harper was looking very good, until he got Packer leg (hamstring strain). Janis is very intriguing because of the size/speed combination, and dominating performances at a lower level. Each of the others has something that makes him more interesting than a run of the mill camp body. It is so interesting, that I could see a Boykin starting the season as the #3 receiver, or not making the team.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'll mention a long shot, though: Linsley maybe saving a roster spot by taking over as Long Snapper.
    This is one I have wondered about since the draft, when it was mentioned that he is a very good long snapper. Most of the year end team reviews mentioned that Goode had a mediocre performance in 2013. If he doesn't look solid in TC, it could open the door for Linsley.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I think WR is going to be very interesting. Adams will be expected to show potential, of course. I read several reports that said Harper was looking very good, until he got Packer leg (hamstring strain). Janis is very intriguing because of the size/speed combination, and dominating performances at a lower level. Each of the others has something that makes him more interesting than a run of the mill camp body. It is so interesting, that I could see a Boykin starting the season as the #3 receiver, or not making the team.
    All I can say is...Myles White, Myles White, Myles White!!! He'll make believers out of you all yet lol

Seriously, I can't believe how little thought he is given, considering he finished the year (I think?) on the 53. It does certainly seem like he's an afterthought.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    All I can say is...Myles White, Myles White, Myles White!!! He'll make believers out of you all yet lol

Seriously, I can't believe how little thought he is given, considering he finished the year (I think?) on the 53. It does certainly seem like he's an afterthought.
    He has a 1% chance of making the roster.

I think we'll keep 6 WRs...

Nelson
    Cobb
    Boykin
    Adams
    Abby
    Janis

sorry joe, but i do not see raji as a lock to start

he's fighting this year for a football life imo

Raji is a lock to start at NT.

Raji is a lock to start at NT.
    i don't know, i can't see how a guy who could be out of the league by this time next year as a lock to start anything

i would hope we can find some serious competition for him. it obvious his fat ass needs some kind of a push from somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i don't know, i can't see how a guy who could be out of the league by this time next year as a lock to start anything

i would hope we can find some serious competition for him. it obvious his fat ass needs some kind of a push from somewhere
    I highly doubt Raji could be out of the league next year...maybe not with the Packers though.

The best he could get was a 1 year contract. That may be exactly the kind of kick in the ass he needed.

I highly doubt Raji could be out of the league next year...maybe not with the Packers though.
    no other team offered him a deal but us

no one but us wanted him this year

IF he has anotherf year this year like his last 2 or 3, then he might get some team to sign him to a small one year deal to take a look, but it wouldn't shock me if he isn't on a team by the start of the regular season next year

no other team offered him a deal but us

no one but us wanted him this year

IF he has anotherf year this year like his last 2 or 3, then he might get some team to sign him to a small one year deal to take a look, but it wouldn't shock me if he isn't on a team by the start of the regular season next year
    Raji has said he had other offers. Whether that is true we may never know.

But if he isn't the starter, then the offseason plans will get dumped overboard quickly. I don't think they intended Guion or Boyd to start at Nose.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Raji has said he had other offers. Whether that is true we may never know.

But if he isn't the starter, then the offseason plans will get dumped overboard quickly. I don't think they intended Guion or Boyd to start at Nose.
    What would those plans be? Raji would seem to be the only true NT on the roster unless Pennel makes the team. That's why I think Raji is a lock to start at NT unless they go out and sign someone like Pickett.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    What would those plans be? Raji would seem to be the only true NT on the roster unless Pennel makes the team. That's why I think Raji is a lock to start at NT unless they go out and sign someone like Pickett.
    I meant the plans to have Raji start at Nose, backed up by new players. If he doesn't make the roster, then he will have had a catastrophic camp.

I don't buy that they chased him with money for 2 years because they believe that some version of red's theory is likely.

If he does get dumped, then they will go after Pickett or someone similar.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.