Thread: MIKE DANIELS..........OUR LEADER ON DEFENSE ??...nice article

Blog Entries

MIKE DANIELS..........OUR LEADER ON DEFENSE ??...nice article

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    LIKE THIS CLIP

"If something has to be said, I'm going to say it," Daniels said after a minicamp practice. "If somebody has a problem with it, we're grown men. We play a violent game. We get paid to be violent. So why not? If you deck somebody in the locker room because you have a disagreement, there's not going to be any sensitivity training.

"It's a barbaric sport. So that's how you're going to have to approach it. I'm tired of getting our face punched in by other teams. I'm not used to that."
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    I CAN SEE WHAT IT APPEARED IMPORTANT TO GET THIS GUY LOCKED UP

So teammates hear Daniels. They must play with a mean streak. Because, no, they don't want to risk a backhand.

"Yeah, I mean, he's probably going to do it," second-year linebacker Andy Mulumba said. "I don't see myself fighting that guy. He's pretty strong. I know his strength. I'm willing to do whatever he tells me to do."
    Daniels is the right voice to force a real attitude adjustment

Its nice to hear but talk is cheap. Play your assignments.

If he was willing to knock people on their butt who abandoned gap control, I would feel better.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Talking intensity, physicality, toughness, whatever is one thing. But, threatening your teammates who don't meet your standards is a bit childish.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Talking intensity, physicality, toughness, whatever is one thing. But, threatening your teammates who don't meet your standards is a bit childish.
    That was my thought exactly. These guys are professionals getting paid a lot of money. Maybe someone needs to talk to them about their attitude or their play, but how does physically intimidating or assaulting your teammate help the team in the long run?
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Lmao at ya'll taking what he said too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    That was my thought exactly. These guys are professionals getting paid a lot of money. Maybe someone needs to talk to them about their attitude or their play, but how does physically intimidating or assaulting your teammate help the team in the long run?
    By setting a certain tone that the Packer D hasn't had in the last few years. I don't see what he says in the article as intimidation at all. What remains to be seen is whether the needed fix for the D is attitude or talent or both.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    By setting a certain tone that the Packer D hasn't had in the last few years. I don't see what he says in the article as intimidation at all. What remains to be seen is whether the needed fix for the D is attitude or talent or both.
    I have no problem with setting a tone. I am sure Ray Lewis in Baltimore set a tone. I don't remember him ever making that kind of comment.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    They are kids. Truth is they respond better to a fired up guy who is talking that game then a coach who threatens to cut them if they lose their gap. I did at that age. Defenses need to be chippy. They need the attitude. Its important.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    They are kids. Truth is they respond better to a fired up guy who is talking that game then a coach who threatens to cut them if they lose their gap. I did at that age. Defenses need to be chippy. They need the attitude. Its important.
    I'd say its more individual than that. Some don't play well when chippy. They get distracted from the task at hand.

I think that attitude, especially the kind demonstrated theatrically for others and the cameras, is a net negative.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I have no problem with setting a tone. I am sure Ray Lewis in Baltimore set a tone. I don't remember him ever making that kind of comment.
    I guess everything depends on the result, and sometimes even then there is a fine line between the kind of aggressive defense you want to see and the kind that commits dumb penalties and gets distracted talking sh** with the opponents. Johnny Jolly was a good example of a guy who could fall on either side of that thin line on any given day. I haven't seen Daniels out of control on the field like Jolly sometimes was before his suspension, and as long as he can be productive I think he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Its nice to hear but talk is cheap. Play your assignments.

If he was willing to knock people on their butt who abandoned gap control, I would feel better.
    I think that's what he's talking about. Getting in the face of people who aren't doing their jobs.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I think every defense needs a nasty fellow to set an example for the rest of the team.

Every defense needs a Wayne Simmons. For Daniels, as long as there's bite in his bark, and he's slightly crazy, this could be okay.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Brock Lesnar was high-school, juco, and NCAA heavyweight amateur wrestling champ with a record of 139-5. He was a WWE and future UFC heavyweight champ. He also couldn't make it out of the Vikings' preseason camp (despite having their best-selling jersey that summer).

Being mean and aggressive and focused on 1-on-1s makes for some awesome preseason copy, but it doesn't guarantee our D will get off the field on third-and-medium.

Oh, if winning football were only about being angry ENOUGH.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
    Brock Lesnar was high-school, juco, and NCAA heavyweight amateur wrestling champ with a record of 139-5. He was a WWE and future UFC heavyweight champ. He also couldn't make it out of the Vikings' preseason camp (despite having their best-selling jersey that summer).

Being mean and aggressive and focused on 1-on-1s makes for some awesome preseason copy, but it doesn't guarantee our D will get off the field on third-and-medium.

Oh, if winning football were only about being angry ENOUGH.
    If Brock had worked through a season on the practice squad he likely would have become a very good player. Nothing guarantees success on D, but I have noticed the best ones play with an edge/swagger.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.