Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Day Before First Practice, 5 Players On Injured List

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    So what do you think GB needs to do to fix it?
    If I knew, I would be on staff. The idea about this defense and vets versus young players came to the forefront last year in a couple of articles.

I believe that Capers is more static than his reputation, though he does gamble on blitzing. So dreaming up a new D scheme isn't going to happen.

I think a lot of this goes back to Belichick's comments about switching back to a 4-3 from the hybrid. There is less teaching time, just as many injuries (maybe more with concussion protocol) and the salary cap takes vets away. So they can do less advanced tweaks and are looking to limit the amount of installations. So they run a 4-3 as base rather than a 3-4.

I think the confusion this offseason about less volume more player groups points in a similar direction. Less tweaks, more alignments with specific personnel. Its a giveaway to some degree by watching substitution patterns. So they need to put better players on field in best position to maximize chance to win individual battles.

wist has a point about the 3-3 nickel. It would help from an installation standpoint (less for young D lineman to learn). I just don't think they can run it without pulling Matthews out of the pass rush.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

So you are all happy with the status quo on defense? Like I said, doing the same thing and expecting different results doesn't seem to be working. Yes a total house cleaning would be extreme. But just wait until years from now when they have no Rodgers and it's plain to see they didn't capitalize on the window. For Kool-aid drinkers I am always surprised that some of you don't expect more of this team. Do I expect a Superbowl win every year, no. But there is no reason this team shouldn't have went deep into the playoffs the last few years.
    I am extremely disappointed in the performance of the Packers the last three seasons. Going into 2011, this looked like a team that had it all and was young to boot. I expected SB appearances not every year, but certainly every few, maybe a back-to-back as some other teams had. However, it is what it is, and after a season is done I don't see a need to whine and complain about it. I simply start discussing what can happen the next season. Many things have contributed to the rapid decline of the defense, most being personnel related. Their five top difference makers from 2010 all disappeared or regressed in impact significantly (Woodson, Collins, Raji, Williams and Matthews). Each was a special performer in 2010, and their decline in impact began immediately in 2011 with the loss of Collins and the declines by Williams and Woodson. Raji disappeared and Matthews can't stay on the field. That's a lot to fix, and so far none of the attempts have worked, due to both injury and disappointing performances.

I hope it bottomed out in 2013. There will be a significant turnover on D this year. Compared to 2013, 2 of the primary DL, at least 1 LB, the 3rd CB and 1 starting safety will be different. That's 5 of 12 positions. There could be another 1 or 2 as well. They don't need to change the defensive scheme as much as they need to find the players to play it well. You can win a lot of different ways,
    Last edited by Patler; 07-29-2014 at 06:22 AM.

So what do you think GB needs to do to fix it?
    First stay healthy. Remember that Clay and Hayward weren't on the field against SF. Neither was Perry or Neal shortly after gametime (was shields out as well by halftime). That is a lot of 1st and 2nd round talent on the sidelines. Jolly was also a key cog who wasn't available at that point. I hate using injury as an excuse, but ffs, at some point you can't just say "next man up". Our safeties were the weak point of the team, but those worthless fuckers managed to stay healthy.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

As a point of reference, and a mental exercise, we should list the D that was on the field when we needed that final stop to beat SF. Anyone care to start.

Mathews, Neal and Shields were out.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Mulumba, Bush, TWill, Burnett,
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    As a point of reference, and a mental exercise, we should list the D that was on the field when we needed that final stop to beat SF. Anyone care to start.
    From the video of CK's 11 yard run,
    Bush, Hyde, Richardson, T.Will, Burnett and House
    Hawk, Mulumba and Perry
    Daniels and D. Jones

All are clear except House, but I'm pretty sure about him.

From the play by play, the following players also made tackles on SF's final drive
    B. Jones
    Raji
    M. Jennings (sweet god...if anyone says anything bad about Bush ever again, I'll just answer with "Jennings")
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

First stay healthy. Remember that Clay and Hayward weren't on the field against SF. Neither was Perry or Neal shortly after gametime (was shields out as well by halftime). That is a lot of 1st and 2nd round talent on the sidelines. Jolly was also a key cog who wasn't available at that point. I hate using injury as an excuse, but ffs, at some point you can't just say "next man up". Our safeties were the weak point of the team, but those worthless fuckers managed to stay healthy.
    Yes, I don't know why some folks talk down the fact of who we had out there against SF. After a while you run out of hale bodies. It was just sad to watch Mulumba limp after Kaepernick on that last drive. From what I'm hearing from TC the safeties we have now will be a major upgrade over that clown Jennings.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    From the video of CK's 11 yard run,
    Bush, Hyde, Richardson, T.Will, Burnett and House
    Hawk, Mulumba and Perry
    Daniels and D. Jones

All are clear except House, but I'm pretty sure about him.

From the play by play, the following players also made tackles on SF's final drive
    B. Jones
    Raji
    M. Jennings (sweet god...if anyone says anything bad about Bush ever again, I'll just answer with "Jennings")

LOL re: Doc Jennings vs. J.Bush.

Looking over those names, you would not call that a championship defense -- or even a strong playoff contender defense.
    3 rookies (D.Jones, Mulumba, Hyde), one player a few games removed from the PUP (Richardson), Mulumba and Perry with bad wheels, etc.

no...just...no.

House was definitely the sub for Shields when he was declared out.

So basically our 2 best defensive players by my estimation (shields and Mathews) were out the entire and most of the game.

So basically our 2 best defensive players by my estimation (shields and Mathews) were out the entire and most of the game.
    Shields was out before the game. Neal tweaked his Knee very early.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Shields was out before the game. Neal tweaked his Knee very early.
    Wrong: Shields hurt 2nd play of Defense.

GameBook:

Defense
    LDE 90 B.Raji NT 79 R.Pickett RDE 76 M.Daniels
    LOLB 96 M.Neal BLB 50 A.Hawk MLB 59 B.Jones ROLB 55 A.Mulumba
    LCB 38 T.Williams RCB 37 S.Shields
    SS 42 M.Burnett FS 43 M.Jennings

Mulumba got the start over Perry because of the foot injury. Perry went in when Neal got hurt.

Shields was reported injured in the Game Blog at 3:46 PM. Neal is reported hurt at 3:53 PM.
    Last edited by pbmax; 07-29-2014 at 03:36 PM.

All of which should not cause us to forget that the defense played pretty well in that game. It was the offense that really fell short.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    All of which should not cause us to forget that the defense played pretty well in that game. It was the offense that really fell short.
    Exactly. The underreported story of 2014 is how the offense needs to bounce back.

Exactly. The underreported story of 2014 is how the offense needs to bounce back.
    Specifically how they need to improve in the red zone. With just over 6 minutes left, down 20-17, Packers had a 1st and goal at the SF 9. They had to settle for a 24 yard field goal to tie the game. Packers scored TD's 50.72 pct of the time in the red zone. That was 26th in the NFL. While those numbers are likely affected by Rodgers' absence, red zone efficiency wasn't great before he got hurt.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I'm hoping the OL improves...you'd think it almost has to, with Bulaga & Sherrod back and Newhouse gone. There were times when Lacy made that line look good by squeezing 3 yards out of a play that would've been no gain with Alex Green. A full offseason for Tolzien and signing Flynnsanity should improve the QB depth behind Rodgers, and I think they move on without Finley and get by at TE. Keeping Aaron Rodgers healthy and upright makes them the team to beat in the NFCN.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I'm hoping the OL improves...you'd think it almost has to, with Bulaga & Sherrod back and Newhouse gone. There were times when Lacy made that line look good by squeezing 3 yards out of a play that would've been no gain with Alex Green. A full offseason for Tolzien and signing Flynnsanity should improve the QB depth behind Rodgers, and I think they move on without Finley and get by at TE. Keeping Aaron Rodgers healthy and upright makes them the team to beat in the NFCN.
    Pass blocking must be better. When I was re-reading Game Stories for the playoff loss to the 49ers (to find when Neal and Shields were injured), each article mentioned how Rodgers got the team on the board after escaping a sure sack and finding Cobb on 4th and 2 to setup their first touchdown. Its indicative of how much of the year went against strong D lines.

Turns out Jerel Worthy had back surgery in the spring. He thinks he'll be back soon. He needs to be. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/269257471.html
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen