Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jordy Nelson signs extension.

Jordy Nelson signs extension.

JORDY NELSON SIGNS 4 YEAR EXTENSION FOR 39 MILLION!!!

According to Ian Rapaport

Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty · 10m
    First look at Reported Nelson contract, agent n reports will say extension averages $9.76 mil ($39 mil for 4 new yrs) but in reality ...

Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty · 7m
    ... Have to count this yr too. If '14 base stays same I think it's about $3 mil so he has new 5 yr deal worth 42 mil, or avg of $8.4 mil with only $14.2M guaranteed

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Great move
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Nelson was the one I was worried about losing. There is no way TT is not going to sign Cobb. So assuming we lock up Cobb, then Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Abbredris, Rodgers, and Janis are are locked up for the next four seasons. Can you imagine if the rookies turn out to be solid players? For the next four seasons all your main pass catchers will be locked up and thats not including Boykin or anyone else you pick up along the way. Now that Nelson is locked up I'm very excited about the potential of the receiving group going forward.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

He has always been a great pro and top-notch player for Green Bay. He deserves it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Great signing of a great player. Early reports that he got more than a quarter ($11.5M) up front, but not worried about that, he's the last guy I see going south after a big contract.

Now get'er done with Cobb. Hopefully he'll come a little cheaper, team should be able to with his injury history and although he's lit it up when healthy, he hasn't put up consistently big numbers because of his injuries.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-jordy-nelson/
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty · 10m
    First look at Reported Nelson contract, agent n reports will say extension averages $9.76 mil ($39 mil for 4 new yrs) but in reality ...

Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty · 7m
    ... Have to count this yr too. If '14 base stays same I think it's about $3 mil so he has new 5 yr deal worth 42 mil, or avg of $8.4 mil with only $14.2M guaranteed
    seems pretty reasonable. I like it.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Agree that getting Nelson re-upped was critical. With Cobb, be interesting to see how they handle it. Do they let him play through the season and see how he stays healthy? Also have to consider how the newly drafted WRs perform. That would give TT added leverage if they were up against the cap.

Want Cobb re-signed, but not at a Jennings-like contract
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Great move

Getting jordy at 8.4 a year is a bargain

Now go give cobb the same offer. I bet he would take a 4 year, 39 million extension. Giveing him an average cap number of just under 8 million a year

Getting both jordy and cobb locked up long term for 16.5 million total a year would be damn fine imo

Paul Imig ‏@Paulimig 48m
    Jordy Nelson: "I don’t like the word ‘worth’ … Don’t think any of us are worth this money. But it’s your value & the business we’re part of"

@ESPNStatsInfo: Only 4 players with 3,000+ Rec Yds & 30+ Rec TD over last 3 seasons: C.Johnson, D.Bryant, J.Graham and Jordy Nelson.

Jordy and Rodgers have developed a tremendous rapport. Very fair contract for both sides IMO. Jordy has earned every penny...and while he could probably get more on the open market, he would go somewhere with a less talented QB and never be able to make the impact he does in Green Bay. With the Packers, he will remain a threat for years to come.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I didn't think he would get $10 mil per, but the post about the rapidly rising cap (starting next year) made me think $10 mil per might be the new low level #1 veteran receiver price. So a 4 year deal at less than $10/yr would have made me happy.

That it could be 5 years at less than $9mi/year is just a credit to Nelson and Thompson/Ball. I hope Jordy's family gets coupons for game day refreshments or something.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Good move. Jordy is worth that IMO.
    With all the rookie-contract WRs on the roster, they can probably afford to sign Cobb and not have a disproportionate amount of the cap spent on WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    Agree that getting Nelson re-upped was critical.
    I don't think signing Nelson was critical. I am happy this happened (especially at $42.5M over 5 yrs), but I think many GMs would have save money for something else. Considering the Pack has the best QB in the game, an emerging 23-yr old WR playmaker, a decent #3 in Boykinhecatch, 3 new draft picks including a 2nd rounder, and a couple other holdover potentials--the Pack could have survived Jordy's departure following our upcoming Super Bowl victory. Rodgers is the main reason the Pack could have thrived even without Jordy. He makes these receivers better. Still, I am delighted Jordy got his kwan. Clearly TT does not want to feel the same regret Wolf felt by not surrounding his MVP QB with more talent at WR. In the last couple of years TT has offered $11M/yr (?) to Jennings, drafted a lot of WR talent, and now locked up Jordy. Rodgers must be ecstatic! It is a great move, but was not critical on my opinion.

I'm reasonably happy about this. The only $14.2 million guaranteed is a good thing just in case he gets injured or fades in performance, and if he stays good, we have him for the rest of his effective career. I agree, signing him wasn't super critical, but it is a positive thing. As for Cobb, ditto on the not super critical. I see Cobb as less sturdy and more likely to fade in performance - as young as he is, I already see some slippage. Sign him if the price is right, but don't go overboard.

WR meeting room chatter slightly less murky now.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 5h
    RT @SageRosenfels18: Nelson gets $10M a year. Rodgers told me 5 years ago, even with Driver, Jennings etc, that he was his favorite WR.

smh!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 7h
    McCarthy informed by Thompson during middle of practice about Nelson extension.

Well, that's good news for McC in the middle of the practice.

I wonder if Greg Jennings has any feelings about all this, or if he's happy to be trying to catch a few passes from CassWater this year?

I think the signing is good, in part because it also reinforces the idea that the team is fair with its own. There is a very slight psychological benefit for guys like Cobb and others coming up on second contracts. Very slight, but still it's good for morale.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack