View Poll Results: Was the Richard Rodgers Pick Inspired or Panicked?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Inspired. Last of the physical specimens, possible big upside due to changing role during college.

10 66.67%
  • Panicked. Faced with Finley's demise, someone had to come in and help Quarless. Hello Someone.

5 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Richard Rodgers: You Make The Call!

Richard Rodgers: You Make The Call!

Everyone had an opinion. Last of the big, athletic TEs to come off the board in 2014. Either it was genius or a colossal reach.

Time to put your reputation on the line.

Feast or Famine with Richard Rodgers?

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Inspired. I say this based on an extensive review of one day of camp, the fact that he got #1 team snaps and hasn't been hurt yet. What more could you ask?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Well, no one at the time or before the draft was calling him "one of the physical specimens" at the time. It was only after the gloom and panic kicked in that we just drafted a guy who did nothing in college that people started saying "all is not lost, although he never showed it in college, he might have some talent"

I tink it was a bit of a panic pick that might pay off. The real target was the giant TE from iowa

If TT knew this kid had tons of talent, and there was no panic involved, then TT shower he isa talent guru, because no one else in the world saw it

I would say Rodgers has a good chance to beat out Quarless, who has been nothing special the last few years. I have a feeling McCarthy is going to rotate all these tight ends and we aren't going to have a true number one this year. Lyerla can be a game changer if he can stick around and show he is committed.

Rodgers has exceeded my expectations so far, but it's still early. Ideally, I want to see Quarless phased out slowly if these young TEs can show their worth. Anyone know how Rodgers blocking has been?

If his performance up to now isn't a fluke, it was either inspired or dumb luck. I didn't think we really needed a TE, at least not that early. I would have been comfortable with Quarless, Taylor, Bostick, and Stoneburner, but getting Rodgers and Lyerla can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Well, no one at the time or before the draft was calling him "one of the physical specimens" at the time. It was only after the gloom and panic kicked in that we just drafted a guy who did nothing in college that people started saying "all is not lost, although he never showed it in college, he might have some talent"

I tink it was a bit of a panic pick that might pay off. The real target was the giant TE from iowa

If TT knew this kid had tons of talent, and there was no panic involved, then TT shower he isa talent guru, because no one else in the world saw it
    You could be right but didn't one of his defenders say he was essentially the last TE on the board with major college exp. and the measurables?

I thought everyone after him were much bigger question marks, including Lyerla.

No one really knew about him before the draft but the more you researched him the more you liked. I think TT found a steal with this guy and I believe that his team only winning a single game, changing positions to WR, having to drop weight, and having a true freshman QB as a starter all hurt his draft stock but he'll be a better pro then college player.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You could be right but didn't one of his defenders say he was essentially the last TE on the board with major college exp. and the measurables?

I thought everyone after him were much bigger question marks, including Lyerla.
    Correct, and I believe the next tight end selected after him was a full 2 rounds later or something like that
    Go PACK

I am comparing this pick to Collins and Finley. Once the fan panic wears off, TT looks like a genius (again).
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Correct, and I believe the next tight end selected after him was a full 2 rounds later or something like that
    Ravens picked a TE right after us but after their pick there was a huge gap between the next TE selected.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I think this is going to turn out to be a fantastic pick.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Yes, I don't recall a lot of folks exactly thrilled with this choice in the 3rd by TT.

Blog Entries
    The Power of KoolAide
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I am pretty sure we had some more posters calling it a reach than the 2 who have weighed in so far.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I really didn't know about the guy. As far as when he was taken, no biggie to me. If he turns out to be a good player then I'm happy.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am pretty sure we had some more posters calling it a reach than the 2 who have weighed in so far.

Many called it a reach; at least I'm sticking to my guns on my vote )))
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I'll answer this poll in 3 years.

i don't read everything but what i have read is all positive. think he's a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I'll answer this poll in 3 years.
    Sometimes I think the internet isn't for you Zool.