Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How Did You Become a Packer Fan?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar

How Did You Become a Packer Fan?

I was born in Janesville, WI in 1966 toward the tail-end of the Lombardi dynasty. I grew up surrounded by relatives who had the pleasure of living through that time in Packers history, and would tell stories of what it was like.

My earliest memory of anything Packers was 1975, which was during a very tough stretch in team history. It was Bart Starr's first year as a head coach, and the team had just survived the Dan Devine era, which started with promise and ended in misery. http://www.packershistory.net/1975PACKERS.html

The first game that I recall is being at my Uncle Bill's house near Fort Atkinson, WI at a family gathering. October 19, 1975 the now down-trodden Packers defeated the undefeated Dallas Cowboys in Texas Stadium 19-17. That was a happy day at Uncle Bill's house for sure, and I was a fan for life, but more dark times lay ahead for us Packer fans, with glimmers of hope in two different parts of the 1980's.

While I have toured Lambeau Field and the Packers HOF twice, the only time I attended a game was a loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the dismal 2005 season.

I now live near Raleigh, NC and my 10 year son started following the Packers in 2010 when they won the Super Bowl. I told him about how different our experiences were starting out as Packer fans, and how fortunate he was to start following the team at such a great time in franchise history.

I'd love to hear from all the Packerrats as to how they got started as Packer fans, perhaps your first game memory, etc.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 08-03-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Birth

Born and grew up in Aurora, Illinois, about 40 miles west of Chicago. So why not a Bears fan? A number of reasons. My dad grew up in Chicago, but was a Chicago Cardinals fan. He didn't like Halas. He had great respect for Lombardi, so when the Cardinals left Chicago about the same time Lombardi came to Green Bay, he and we quite naturally became Packer fans. In addition, we were one of those Chicago-area families who would escape to Northern Wisconsin (Eagle River) every chance we got, and always thought it was cool there was an NFL team in the northern part of Wisconsin. I moved to Wausau in 1996, and I and 2 brothers have Gold Package season tickets. They still live in Illinois, and make the trek to Green Bay twice a year for the Gold package regular season games.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Born and grew up in Aurora, Illinois, about 40 miles west of Chicago. So why not a Bears fan? A number of reasons. My dad grew up in Chicago, but was a Chicago Cardinals fan. He didn't like Halas. He had great respect for Lombardi, so when the Cardinals left Chicago about the same time Lombardi came to Green Bay, he and we quite naturally became Packer fans. In addition, we were one of those Chicago-area families who would escape to Northern Wisconsin (Eagle River) every chance we got, and always thought it was cool there was an NFL team in the northern part of Wisconsin. I moved to Wausau in 1996, and I and 2 brothers have Gold Package season tickets. They still live in Illinois, and make the trek to Green Bay twice a year for the Gold package regular season games.
    You're from aurora? I use to live in batavia

Did i already know this?

And my dads side of the family is from mosinee. Go figure

I was a birther. Never knew anyting but being a packer fan

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

Did i already know this?

Yeah, I was never anything but a Packer fan either. Credit my dad for that. Do they still show Packer games at Little Red Schoolhouse Pizza on Route 31 in North Aurora?

I have no idea, i havent been back there in over 10 years

And u never went to the little red school house, even though it was a short walk away. I lived across from mooseheart

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    it was stamped on my birth certificate and on my forehead, but only lately, with receding hairline does the head shot show up.

I was born in a little log cabin in northern Wisconsin where I divided my time between rail splitting and cherry tree chopping. I had to walk 20 miles to the nearest tavern, where I quickly became a fan of the black-and-grey. (We did not have color TV)

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I was born in a little log cabin in northern Wisconsin where I divided my time between rail splitting and cherry tree chopping. I had to walk 20 miles to the nearest tavern, where I quickly became a fan of the black-and-grey. (We did not have color TV)
    Bullshit. Nobody in Wisconsin lives 20 miles from the nearest tavern.

Born and raised in Wausau. Started to watch the Packers with my dad in the mid 70's. I remember how emotional he would get during games and how many interesting curse words I learned at a young age. In retrospect, it's amazing that I became a Packer fan after watching him go through so much torture week after week. But I guess that's just what we did in Wisconsin . Coincidentally, my HS football team, DC Everest, had the same colors as the Packers, except for green helmets. I always thought that was pretty cool.

I live in St. Paul now but could never see switching teams. I'm just not sure how people are able to do that. When I think of cheering for the vikings I just feel dirty. Yuck!

Apparently, Sam Shields was born a Packer fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Bullshit. Nobody in Wisconsin lives 20 miles from the nearest tavern.
    LOL boy do you have that right maybe 1 mile

<--- Birth.

Browns fan until they moved. Was going to set the whole thing aside, seemed the only rational answer.

But while each and every other Packer fan was tired of Favre's missteps and slow uptake (at least until the second half of 1994) I thought he was going to be Terry Bradshaw. So I stuck around.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Browns fan until they moved. Was going to set the whole thing aside, seemed the only rational answer.

But while each and every other Packer fan was tired of Favre's missteps and slow uptake (at least until the second half of 1994) I thought he was going to be Terry Bradshaw. So I stuck around.
    So, you rooted for Clay Matthews, Jr. before rooting for CM3. Interesting, I didn't know that. Did you ever see a game at old Municipal Stadium? So, when the Packers beat the Ravens last year; was that doubly sweet for you?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    So, you rooted for Clay Matthews, Jr. before rooting for CM3. Interesting, I didn't know that. Did you ever see a game at old Municipal Stadium? So, when the Packers beat the Ravens last year; was that doubly sweet for you?
    I did, though I thought Chip Banks was better for a year or two Clay III's Dad didn't look like a pass rusher in 3-4 right away and I think he played 4-3 prior to Schottenheimer getting hired.

I don't really resent the Ravens, thought that leaving the team history behind was a pretty solid compromise. Bob Irsay made Art Modell look like a cherub.

Modell was in a bad position but some of it was of his own making. In trying to upgrade his position and the stadium, he got involved in the Board that ran Municipal Stadium (yes, I attended games there). That Board was a poor investment and from that point forward, Modell sought to make himself whole financially. That made negotiations problematic.

Now whether this was legit or he was playing one side of the equation against the other is the subject of a lot of debate. I think he still had a hand in the Stadium Board when the final nail went into the coffin. What is beyond debate is that when the Indians got a deal to build Jacobs Field, he found his position worse.

If he still owned a percentage, he stood to lose an important client, more money and had no momentum to get the football only stadium off the board. But even if he had divested himself of the Stadium deal, he was in a worse position coming in second to the Indians when it came time to get public money. It also became a very public pissing match.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I was born in Janesville, WI in 1966 toward the tail-end of the Lombardi dynasty. I grew up surrounded by relatives who had the pleasure of living through that time in Packers history, and would tell stories of what it was like.

My earliest memory of anything Packers was 1975, which was during a very tough stretch in team history. It was Bart Starr's first year as a head coach, and the team had just survived the Dan Devine era, which started with promise and ended in misery. http://www.packershistory.net/1975PACKERS.html

The first game that I recall is being at my Uncle Bill's house near Fort Atkinson, WI at a family gathering. October 19, 1975 the now down-trodden Packers defeated the undefeated Dallas Cowboys in Texas Stadium 19-17. That was a happy day at Uncle Bill's house for sure, and I was a fan for life, but more dark times lay ahead for us Packer fans, with glimmers of hope in two different parts of the 1980's.

While I have toured Lambeau Field and the Packers HOF twice, the only time I attended a game was a loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the dismal 2005 season.

I now live near Raleigh, NC and my 10 year son started following the Packers in 2010 when they won the Super Bowl. I told him about how different our experiences were starting out as Packer fans, and how fortunate he was to start following the team at such a great time in franchise history.

I'd love to hear from all the Packerrats as to how they got started as Packer fans, perhaps your first game memory, etc.

No shit? Janesville? I graduated from high school there in June 1965. Your weren't born in March of '66, were you? Your mother wasn't named ........... no it can't be ......... never mind.

I remember pre-Lombardi days - I was about 7 years old and listening to the Packers on the radio - Tobin Rote at QB, Breezy Reid, Fred Cone, Bobby Dillon, Billy Howton, Bill Forrester, Dave Hanner before he was called "Hawg", etc. About the second year I was a fan, Madison got its CBS TV station, and I could actually SEE the Packers. Before that, the only games we could get were the Bears on the Rockford channel. Those were dark days, but I had the privilege of being in high school and college during the great years leading up to and including the first two Super Bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    No shit? Janesville? I graduated from high school there in June 1965. Your weren't born in March of '66, were you? Your mother wasn't named ........... no it can't be ......... never mind.
    Dad?! Nah, my Mom and Dad graduated from Fort Atkinson High School together in 1954, and by the time I came along, they already had 3 of their 5 kids and we were living in Edgerton. Long shot question, but I had an Uncle (Marvin Hauser) who taught in the Janesville school system. I can't recall if he was at Craig or not. Did you possibly know him? Great guy, now passed on. He was a tremendous Packer backer.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

Did i already know this?

Marmion grad here. You?