Thread: Position Series in the JSO - Linebackers

Position Series in the JSO - Linebackers

Okay, Bob McGinn has done it again. After an offseason of criticism of the defense, based in part on the persistent idea that Dom Capers's defense requires veterans to truly make it work, McGinn analyzes the inebacker position in the JSO and concludes that . . . the linebackers are too old.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...268750761.html

So, to recap: Capers's defense doesn't work in this Packer draft-and-develop scheme because Capers's 3-4 requires wily veterans with a thorough NFL understanding of the nuances of the defense. However, Ted Thompson has let this linebacker group slip because he's counting on wily veterans.

As McGinn writes, "Age isn't a problem on the Green Bay Packers' roster except at linebacker, where general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy are betting that advancing years won't equate as they usually do to more injuries."

This team has two problems: one, they're too young. Two, they're too old.

Does this defense deserve criticism? Yes, of course. But how about some intelligent analysis leading to thoughtful criticism?

Oh, wait. I'm talking about corporate media in 2014. What am I thinking?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Wasn't McGinn's point about the age/veterans specific to the secondary ......and safety position ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

If you mean as far as running Capers's defense, no, I don't think so. In fact, I think it would highlight the linebackers more than other groups.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Hey Fritz, McGinn would find things re: Drew Barrymore to complain about.

He's gotta come up with some kind of stupid opinion to push papers and drum up controversy. Outside of Peppers and Hawk, who is 'old'? They can plug Perry or Neal in to spell Peppers, and there are quite a few posters here who'd like to see Hawk replaced. Matthews and Jones are in their prime and the rest are younguns.

It's much ado about nothing...just an angle for a story.

TT definitely needed to do more to address LB - especially ILB, but we're stuck with what we got.

I like Mulumba, hopefully Bradford can play inside - and more hopefully Matthews stays healthy. If Matthews goes down, we're in big trouble on defense - which is nothing new, we've been pretty bad for quite a while now. We had that small 1-2 year window when we made the run to the SB, but the years before that and after were pretty dismal defensively.
    wist

Once Mosley and Shazier were gone I don't think there was an ILB who was going to step in and beat out Hawk/Jones, so while I'm not thrilled about it I get it. Don't know if there's a FA vet ILB who would be available.

As for OLB's, I think getting Peppers pushes everyone else down the chain a bit, which essentially makes the depth better. Perry/Neal may never be healthy, but between them can probably cobble together 16 games of depth. Bradford is a rookie, Palmer on the bubble and Mulumba will likely be improved. Matthews will miss about 4 games to injuries, but overall the OLB group is better compared to last year.

They do need to do something about the ILBs -- maybe Jones will stay healthy and bounce back. I thought they'd at least try Bradford inside but I think they will keep him at OLB this year...so we can probably end that talk for now.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Hey Fritz, McGinn would find things re: Drew Barrymore to complain about.
    Well ya, he would have the same criticism as the Packer linebackers: too old.

(Drew Barrymore on right.) She looks fine.

But she's not the sex kitten that you obsessively jacked-off to 20 years ago.