Thread: Lions and Suh stop negotiations

Lions and Suh stop negotiations

The Lions announced there will be no more negotiations with Suh until after the season ends

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...end-of-season/

This means they are going get a ridiculous $22M+ cap charge for his this season.

from another thread
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    There is no reason for Suh to renegotiate. He's due $20million and wont be cut. AND if he finishes the year with the Lions, his franchise tag number for 2015 would be like $24 million. The Lions have absolutely no leverage. They can either cut him, give him a gargantuan payday, or trade him to a team that will.

There really is no reason for him to spread that money out over a new contract. That money, at least in part, is compensation for his play over the last few years. The Lions act like they're trying to be reasonable, but in truth, they are trying to use the same money to pay a guy twice. Very dirty.
    And in their infinite wisdom, Calvin Johnson has a $20M+ hit next year.

I'd guess this all means Suh is gone from the Lions next year. If they wait until after the season, when the injury risk is gone, he won't be 'getting his money early', so there's no reason for him to give a hometown discount. They effectively have a 1 in 32 chance of keeping him.

What a bunch of idiots over there. They have probably the top player at the lowest (non-kicker) paid position in the league, allowing them to keep him as long as he is effective, and they manage to piss it away in a fit of stupidity.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Good news out of Detoilet!
    C.H.U.D.

I'm pretty thrilled by this. He's a top-3 DT and he'll be leaving a rival (almost certainly).

*bad joke alert*

Maybe the thread title should be "Lions and Suh Stomp Negotiations*

*end alert*

Seriously though, they'll end up paying for it if Fairley doesn't develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    *bad joke alert*

Maybe the thread title should be "Lions and Suh Stomp Negotiations*

*end alert*

Seriously though, they'll end up paying for it if Fairley doesn't develop.
    I'm sure they're regretting the moves they made with him already. But, they keep doing similar thing, as I mentioned with the Johnson contract!

I doubt they're counting on much out of Fairley, and even if he does play well this season, he hits the open market as a UFA right along with Suh!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

They already declined their 5th year option for Fairley, so whether or not they can keep him is as uncertain as with Suh. For the Lions, losing one or both might be a good thing.

I would be very surprised if both Suh and Fairley are on the Lions roster next season. Suh leaving would free up a LOT of cap room for the Lions to sign other players that could boost their defense...so I'm not too celebratory.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I would be very surprised if both Suh and Fairley are on the Lions roster next season. Suh leaving would free up a LOT of cap room for the Lions to sign other players that could boost their defense...so I'm not too celebratory.
    Part of me feels that way as well. However, their DL is the best part of their defense so if Suh and Fairley both leave, their DL isn't looking so good and thus their defense gets even worse.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Lets see if their youn 'talent' (CB Slay) is as impressive without Suh and Fairly speeding up the seconds in the middle of the DL.