Thread: Legendary sports reporter retires, nobody notices

Legendary sports reporter retires, nobody notices

http://www.packersnews.com/columns/mike-vandermause/

Mike Vandermause retired as a Packer columnist after about three decades. Can you remember anything he ever wrote?

When Cliff Christl left it was like the Favre retirement. I expect when Bob McGinn leaves there will be some moans at least.

I think the job of a good sports writer is to be a bit controversial, otherwise nobody comes to their funeral.

Hey Blue Dog. How's it hanging?
    C.H.U.D.

Maybe he can replace Cleft Crusty here since Cleft apparently finally had that heart attack he was destined for.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kinda like when Harlan quits here. Nobody gives a shit.

He has had some good writers in his Packers section. As a columnist, he makes a great editor and recruiter.

He went the way of Chris Jenkins the former AP reporter, who now works for Marquette. Applesauce is headed to the PR game in the private sector I believe.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Kinda like when Harlan quits here. Nobody gives a shit.
    See, now that's unnecessary, it hurts my feelings.

"You always hurt the one you love." So true.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Hey Blue Dog. How's it hanging?
    They aren't scraping on the shower floor yet, but close.

Could be all about circulation too. Yeah, the Press Gazette is the "hometown" paper, but the JS really is the "big" newspaper in this state.

The P-G is morphing into a lousy paper.

"Legendary sports reporter...."???????

Vanderwhatnow?

He's the editor and I find it admirable that he reported rather than caused waves or sought attention.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    He's the editor and I find it admirable that he reported rather than caused waves or sought attention.
    Well, he also was a packer columnist for many years. I think sports writers should find interesting angles that generate controversy. Waves and attention are a good sign. Now if they're trying too hard to be controversial, making ridiculous speculations, well that's a job badly done. But I think writers like McGinn and Wilde support their arguments well, and they are right often enough to maintain their press cards.

Vandermause is moving-on to become a communications director at a church. Who knew that churches needed communications directors!? I thought Jesus pretty much sold Himself. I always liked Vandermause's columns actually, they were smart enough, just rather safe. Maybe he'll use his sports background and discover his creative side at that church: bobble-head Sundays, new uniforms for the clergy, "the wave" after good sermons.

ps. In sports, I don't differentiate much between columns and feature stories.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 07-29-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Well, he also was a packer columnist for many years. I think sports writers should find interesting angles that generate controversy. Waves and attention are a good sign. Now if they're trying too hard to be controversial, making ridiculous speculations, well that's a job badly done. But I think writers like McGinn and Wilde support their arguments well, and they are right often enough to maintain their press cards.

Vandermause is moving-on to become a communications director at a church. Who knew that churches needed communications directors!? I thought Jesus pretty much sold Himself. I always liked Vandermause's columns actually, they were smart enough, just rather safe. Maybe he'll use his sports background and discover his creative side at that church: bobble-head Sundays, new uniforms for the clergy, "the wave" after good sermons.

ps. In sports, I don't differentiate much between columns and feature stories.
    Well, I should have should PR for a non-profit.

Isn't a Minister the Director of Communications for a Church?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

You guys must have been lulled to sleep by his subdued delivery - b/c the guy said a lot of things that I agreed with, and to you homers, I am the devil.

In all honesty, the guy was kind of slippery in how he delivered the shiv... wouldn't scream and shout, he'd leave that for Tom Pippines, but he'd throw out some pretty tough criticism at the coaching staff - he was very critical of Capers.

Since my POV is swept under the rug most of the time, it is always nice to hear commentators that won't hit the prerecorded positivity button when we all know what we saw was a mess. If I found myself agreeing with Vandermause most of the time - then you guys must not have been listening to what he was saying. Sure, he did his share of positivity pieces, but in his post-game comments on Packer Blitz, he usually called a spade a spade.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    You guys must have been lulled to sleep by his subdued delivery - b/c the guy said a lot of things that I agreed with, and to you homers, I am the devil.

In all honesty, the guy was kind of slippery in how he delivered the shiv... wouldn't scream and shout, he'd leave that for Tom Pippines, but he'd throw out some pretty tough criticism at the coaching staff - he was very critical of Capers.

Since my POV is swept under the rug most of the time, it is always nice to hear commentators that won't hit the prerecorded positivity button when we all know what we saw was a mess. If I found myself agreeing with Vandermause most of the time - then you guys must not have been listening to what he was saying. Sure, he did his share of positivity pieces, but in his post-game comments on Packer Blitz, he usually called a spade a spade.
    The last article of his I read he was touting how good Capers did and even said he deserved a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

Since my POV is swept under the rug most of the time,
    JFC guy, the sky isn't falling and you're not a misunderstood genius screaming at the wind.
    Last edited by Zool; 07-30-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    In an old Packer tradition, Vandermause has decided NOT to retire and will be soldiering on this season.