View Poll Results: What's Peppers gonna contribute?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • One cornerstone of defense.

11 34.38%
  • Decent player, takes most snaps.

16 50.00%
  • Dissappointing. Younger guys take snaps and are just as productive

3 9.38%
  • other

2 6.25%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whither Julius Peppers?

Whither Julius Peppers?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...269139391.html

I think the chances of a giant, 34-year-old defensive end making transition to stand-up linebacker are less than 50-50. Ya, he's athletic, but raw power was big part of his defensive line play.

Peppers is the big mystery heading into 2014.

I think he has the athleticism to cover. The question is whether he can explode out of a 2 point stance on the pass rush,. Even if he struggles at OLB, he can still contribute as a pass rusher on the line.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I think he'll be just fine but maybe not the cornerstone of the defense. Julius will open up plays for others (especially for Clay).

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    I think he surprises many people, including himself.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    A 34 year old freak is still a freak
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...268750761.html

This article was mostly favorable towards Peppers, but the one negative note caught my eye:
    Still, three scouts within the NFC North unanimously voted Peppers the worst right end in the division last year.
    He must have slipped significantly.
    Then I'm thinking, "If 6'7" was an asset for playing linebacker, you'd see 6'7" linebackers. Probably he is more of a lineman."

I'm glad they picked-up Peppers, somehow it's likely to make the team a little better. I do think he could end up being more of a situational player - and we'll have to see exactly what he's got. On other hand, there's some chance he was born to play this position all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...268750761.html

This article was mostly favorable towards Peppers, but the one negative note caught my eye:

He must have slipped significantly.
    Then I'm thinking, "If 6'7" was an asset for playing linebacker, you'd see 6'7" linebackers. Probably he is more of a lineman."

I'm glad they picked-up Peppers, somehow it's likely to make the team a little better. I do think he could end up being more of a situational player - and we'll have to see exactly what he's got. On other hand, there's some chance he was born to play this position all along.

Ted Hendricks.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Ya, Ted Hendricks was the man. Was he exception that proves the rule?

Different era, different defense, but Hendricks played at around 220, Peppers is 285.

Tim Harris - 6'6" 260

I think San Fran moved him to defensive end, probably he was lighter at linebacker

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Peppers is gonna be fine, he has that Latina honey to keep him motivated. I know that won't make sense to a polesmoker like HH but the rest of you know what I'm talking about.

I think JP is motivated...by the sweet Latina babe, and the fact he wants a SB pretty bad.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Peppers is gonna be fine, he has that Latina honey to keep him motivated. I know that won't make sense to a polesmoker like HH but the rest of you know what I'm talking about.
    He'll have her whether he plays well or not, she will be around as long as the money is. I am not as optimistic about him doing well as others. But it has nothing to do with his ability, I have no faith in Capers to use peppers properly.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If dude stinks it up he might get cut and not be as well paid so I think he has motivation. Fresh, ok maybe just new, tang makes all of us feel brand new right? Isn't that why you old crackas hookup with young seƱoritas (preferably with small hands according to Tex and Wist) from other countries? To feel like a stud again?

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    I think JP is motivated...by the sweet Latina babe, and the fact he wants a SB pretty bad.
    He made the right choice going to Green Bay, then.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

ill go,with the second option. Hes getting paid less than Jordy Nelson. I trust Thompsons views on what players are worth, i have a good idea what jordy does. I think he'll be a really good player, not quite as good as jordy. So we have another good defender who will make big plays. We needed it.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

if he stays healthy, I think he'll be more impactful than Neal/Perry. While there were some legitimate complaints about him in "meaningless" regular season games, he did always find a way to make at least one impactful play come crunch time.

In a down year he racked up 7 sacks. If we can get 7-8 from him, 6-7 from Neal, and 5-6 from Perry I'll be happy. He won't be an every down player, but I think he can be effective picking his spots.
    Go PACK

Despite the upfront $$, he'll wind up being a situational player. Not what he used to be by any stretch, but still useful if put in the right situations and packages.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    if he stays healthy, I think he'll be more impactful than Neal/Perry. While there were some legitimate complaints about him in "meaningless" regular season games, he did always find a way to make at least one impactful play come crunch time.
    He had a very impactful play against the Packers in 2013 that gave us a TD. The strip sack of ARod that no one picked up until Boykin did and ran it into the end zone.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Junius Coston was resigned?