View Poll Results: What's Peppers gonna contribute?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • One cornerstone of defense.

11 34.38%
  • Decent player, takes most snaps.

16 50.00%
  • Dissappointing. Younger guys take snaps and are just as productive

3 9.38%
  • other

2 6.25%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whither Julius Peppers?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...268750761.html

This article was mostly favorable towards Peppers, but the one negative note caught my eye:

He must have slipped significantly.
    Then I'm thinking, "If 6'7" was an asset for playing linebacker, you'd see 6'7" linebackers. Probably he is more of a lineman."

I'm glad they picked-up Peppers, somehow it's likely to make the team a little better. I do think he could end up being more of a situational player - and we'll have to see exactly what he's got. On other hand, there's some chance he was born to play this position all along.
    Of course Peppers isn't an DE for us this year.

Peppers' numbers slipped last year, but he still led them in sacks, and led their D-Linemen in tackles. The Bears defense was atrocious last year. It can be tough when you're the only guy on a defense capable of making impact plays. You draw a lot of attention.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I don't think he'll be All-Pro, but I think he will garner enough respect from some teams to draw attention away from Matthews. Peppers made two almost-big plays in Week 17, and his snap count for a 33yo DE was probably on the high side last year.

I don't think there are a lot of 6'7" defensive players, so I don't know if there's enough of a sample size to say he can or can't play a LB/DE hybrid role. If they don't ask him to do anything too wacky with pass coverage he's I think he's athletic enough. Whether he can rush as well standing up or not is a good question.

I think he'll be ok-to-good for GB. If he can stay healthy and platoon with Perry/Neal at elephant so he doesn't wear down, he'll be fine. He can still play.

i have no idea at all what his contribution is going to be like. it's a total mystery. will have to see it. hoping for the best.

Peppers will have a pro bowl caliber season...book it!

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    If dude stinks it up he might get cut and not be as well paid so I think he has motivation. Fresh, ok maybe just new, tang makes all of us feel brand new right? Isn't that why you old crackas hookup with young seƱoritas (preferably with small hands according to Tex and Wist) from other countries? To feel like a stud again?
    Da man hands?? Major turn off

wist

I'm higher on Peppers now than when we signed him... mainly b/c Pickett and Jolly aren't going to be back.

Pickett and Jolly not being back means that Capers can't play the "jumbo 2-4"... that should mean more base and 3-3 looks - Peppers himself makes the 2-4 look more like a 3-3. I still prefer to have 3 guys with their hand on the ground, but Peppers is a rare talent, so he should make us better up front regardless of how Capers manages to screw it up.
    wist

I just hope he has two great games against the shithole team he came from. That alone will make the acquisition worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I just hope he has two great games against the shithole team he came from. That alone will make the acquisition worth the money.
    And it will be fun to watch Bahk stone Allen in two games again this year.

I'm changing my vote

Blog Entries
    you should u negative nanny ))
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

So is he a cornerstone, or a decent player? I'd say pretty close to cornerstone because his stellar play has made it possible to move Matthews inside without sacrificing an outside pass rush.

All I know is we need more pictures of his girlfriend.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    So is he a cornerstone, or a decent player? I'd say pretty close to cornerstone because his stellar play has made it possible to move Matthews inside without sacrificing an outside pass rush.
    no shit, Sherlock

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    All I know is we need more pictures of his girlfriend.

nipple slip!

Finally got one right.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Yum!
    C.H.U.D.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I was thrilled when TT signed Peppers. He's all I thought he would be and more. In fact, signing Peppers reminds me of the Packers signing Reggie White. White was 32 when he was signed and 34 or so when the Packers won the Superbowl in 96. White was the heart and soul of the Packers then and I really believe Peppers has the chance to be the same on this Packers team. Besides his excellent play on the field, he's become a team leader. You can tell from his comments that Tramon Williams admires and respects him. All the veteran players do. He's a great influence on the younger guys as well and is responsible -- along with Rodgers -- for the Packers' surging confidence of late.

Reggie White was my favorite Packer of his era. He had the ability and the will to make the biggest plays when they were most needed. He could put the entire team on his back and carry them.

Peppers could easily become my favorite of this era, not only for his play but for his role as a respected team leader.

White's signing lead to a Super Bowl win for the Packers. I hope Peppers' signing has the same result.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    A 34 year old freak is still a freak
    NAILED IT!!!!
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!