Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Teams In Division News 2014

Other Teams In Division News 2014

Scott Studwell is stepping down as Director of College Scouting for the Vikings. He is 59 and so this may be voluntary, but I have generally held this guy in high regard. Vikings had some good drafts under him.

I don't think he had final say during most of his tenure, so its hard to judge, but I would say they have some big shoes to fill.

Bonus in the PFT article, two toned Vikings jerseys.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ting-director/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

In further news... the Bears still suck.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Does anybody know if Brian Xander is still with the Lions? I think he gets mentioned as getting lots of credit for updating their drating/tracking system, and for last year's draft. But I thought I heard he moved on. Not sure.

Lions' fans are bitter. They finally get a good draft choice - Ebron - and all they do is complain bitterly. The leos also traded up for Van noy, and drafted their next kicker, but I don't know what else to make of their draft picks.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Does anybody know if Brian Xander is still with the Lions? I think he gets mentioned as getting lots of credit for updating their drating/tracking system, and for last year's draft. But I thought I heard he moved on. Not sure.

Lions' fans are bitter. They finally get a good draft choice - Ebron - and all they do is complain bitterly. The leos also traded up for Van noy, and drafted their next kicker, but I don't know what else to make of their draft picks.
    His wiki has him still with the team.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I've picked up some chatter about the Lions thinking about moving Megatron due to his onerous salary. Maybe they think of Ebron as part of the replacement solution -- a gigantor for Fatford to heave the rock at.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracke...team-input:det

The LIONS needed to draft heavy on "D". I didn't analyze their draft but if they selected BPA that shouldn't have hurt them.

In fact their draft was graded "inferior" to all other NFCN teams. You'd have to do some analysis to determine the accuracy of that grade.

They picked a sub 5.0 Graded CB (4.9) and a kicker graded @ 4.8.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Pretty sure Xanders is still there.

I can't imagine them moving Megatron. I'd move Suh or Stafford before I'd move him. Ebron is a decent pick, maybe a little high at 10 -- unless you think he's Vernon Davis -- but not a big reach IMO, and Van Noy in R2 isn't bad.
    Detroit does seem to be in win-now mode, which is curious because they need a lot of luck to make any noise in the playoffs. Their future cap situation is not great. I think Lions fans would be bitter regardless of who they drafted, that franchise has a sad history.

In my perfect little dream world, the McCaskeys hire Millen as GM, the Vikings hire Mike Sherman to coach and GM, and Mr. Ford hires Vinny Cerrato.

Studwell leaving is noteworthy, I think he's decent. Spielman is still GM and he's all over the place with good picks and bad. If Bridgewater doesn't pan out he's done though. They'll be in reloading mode this year, and next year the urgency will be there since Peterson will be aging, Zimmer will be in Year 2, and everyone assumes Teddy will be starting by then.

Everything is relative, run pMC. I'd say the bar is set somewhat lower for them to consider it 'winning'. If they play over .500 ball and make the playoffs, that's a shinning gold star for that franchise. Win a playoff game and it's a season for the ages!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

The Bears are getting to work signing their draft choices. They're starting with the easier ones, those selected at the bottom of the draft and have signed two of their 7th round choices already. I tend to think this is a good thing, none of the waiting around to see what the other teams do, and none of the silliness of those 'letters of intent' or whatever the documents the rookies can sign that say they'll get the same contract as they would've, even if they're hurt during OTAs and minicamps.
    --

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I thought that rookie contracts were pretty much slotted at this point?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

FAIRLEY OUT OF OTAS AFTER UNDISCLOSED “PROCEDURE”

They are putting scare quote tattoos on his legs.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I've picked up some chatter about the Lions thinking about moving Megatron due to his onerous salary. Maybe they think of Ebron as part of the replacement solution -- a gigantor for Fatford to heave the rock at.

Lots of folks think the queens hit a home run moving back into the 1st to get Bridgewater. What is your consensus on this pick for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Lots of folks think the queens hit a home run moving back into the 1st to get Bridgewater. What is your consensus on this pick for them?
    Well, anything that would improve the Vikings QB situation is bad. I'm hoping he turns out like another great Louisville QB - Brian Brohm.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Norv is a weird fit there. Commentators keep saying Bridgewater is a great fit for Norv, but he isn't a classic drop back 6' 4" rocket arm like Rivers or Aikman. They do have Peterson, so that element stays the same for Norv.

Its going to be interesting to see what their passing offense will look like. On the surface, its looks like an odd match to me.

Lions defend Suh for not being at OTAs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-his-no-shows/

Is it a Woodson situation (veteran accommodation), tantrum, message about his contract/renogiation or is it just Suh being Suh?

Two years ago, I blasted Pete Carroll for continually playing up Russell Wilson's chances of starting as a rookie. My bad, though I think that credit should go to the defense for keeping the team afloat for half the season.

Now we have news of the opposite approach.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 11m
    Pettine believes rookies start at bottom MT @AlbertBreer In CLE, Hoyer getting 1st team reps with Browns O. Thingpen, 2nd, Manziel is 3rd.

If that continues, could be just as dumb. Not sure if they have the defense to pull that off, though it is a good one.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    He may have to be. There's rumors that AP may get traded after this season. If it's another stinker season as Cassel tanks and Bridgewater has to learn on the job, AP's contract (14.4M), age, and injury history (3 surgeries in 3 yrs) starts looking worse and worse. Add in that Norv Turner likes to use a 2 back system and I just don't think the Vikes can justify paying him what they do, even if he still is the best RB in the game. So that is going to put a lot of pressure on Bridgewater to be the man.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

IIRC reports were that the Browns really like Hoyer, so I'm not surprised he's running with the 1's. I'd have expected Manziel to be #2 though. Pettine is either making Manziel put in the work and earn it, which I'm ok with, or he's dumb and inflexible. I guess we'll find out.

They gave up a 4th, which isn't bad (although I don't like anything that gives Seattle picks at this point). Moves into the end of the first round were widely predicted, as a bit of an insurance policy - it allows teams to lock that player in for a 5th year, so that was a smart thing by the Vikings brass.

As far as whether or not Bridgewater was a good pick? No strong opinion. AP should keep the pressure off him and give him a good chance to develop. The reports on him were so mixed, and his eventual huge fall told us all that the people who mattered never thought as highly of him as Kipper and the boys did.
    --