Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
So, you rooted for Clay Matthews, Jr. before rooting for CM3. Interesting, I didn't know that. Did you ever see a game at old Municipal Stadium? So, when the Packers beat the Ravens last year; was that doubly sweet for you?
I did, though I thought Chip Banks was better for a year or two Clay III's Dad didn't look like a pass rusher in 3-4 right away and I think he played 4-3 prior to Schottenheimer getting hired.

I don't really resent the Ravens, thought that leaving the team history behind was a pretty solid compromise. Bob Irsay made Art Modell look like a cherub.

Modell was in a bad position but some of it was of his own making. In trying to upgrade his position and the stadium, he got involved in the Board that ran Municipal Stadium (yes, I attended games there). That Board was a poor investment and from that point forward, Modell sought to make himself whole financially. That made negotiations problematic.

Now whether this was legit or he was playing one side of the equation against the other is the subject of a lot of debate. I think he still had a hand in the Stadium Board when the final nail went into the coffin. What is beyond debate is that when the Indians got a deal to build Jacobs Field, he found his position worse.

If he still owned a percentage, he stood to lose an important client, more money and had no momentum to get the football only stadium off the board. But even if he had divested himself of the Stadium deal, he was in a worse position coming in second to the Indians when it came time to get public money. It also became a very public pissing match.