Thread: How Did You Become a Packer Fan?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Browns fan until they moved. Was going to set the whole thing aside, seemed the only rational answer.

But while each and every other Packer fan was tired of Favre's missteps and slow uptake (at least until the second half of 1994) I thought he was going to be Terry Bradshaw. So I stuck around.
    So, you rooted for Clay Matthews, Jr. before rooting for CM3. Interesting, I didn't know that. Did you ever see a game at old Municipal Stadium? So, when the Packers beat the Ravens last year; was that doubly sweet for you?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    So, you rooted for Clay Matthews, Jr. before rooting for CM3. Interesting, I didn't know that. Did you ever see a game at old Municipal Stadium? So, when the Packers beat the Ravens last year; was that doubly sweet for you?
    I did, though I thought Chip Banks was better for a year or two Clay III's Dad didn't look like a pass rusher in 3-4 right away and I think he played 4-3 prior to Schottenheimer getting hired.

I don't really resent the Ravens, thought that leaving the team history behind was a pretty solid compromise. Bob Irsay made Art Modell look like a cherub.

Modell was in a bad position but some of it was of his own making. In trying to upgrade his position and the stadium, he got involved in the Board that ran Municipal Stadium (yes, I attended games there). That Board was a poor investment and from that point forward, Modell sought to make himself whole financially. That made negotiations problematic.

Now whether this was legit or he was playing one side of the equation against the other is the subject of a lot of debate. I think he still had a hand in the Stadium Board when the final nail went into the coffin. What is beyond debate is that when the Indians got a deal to build Jacobs Field, he found his position worse.

If he still owned a percentage, he stood to lose an important client, more money and had no momentum to get the football only stadium off the board. But even if he had divested himself of the Stadium deal, he was in a worse position coming in second to the Indians when it came time to get public money. It also became a very public pissing match.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I remember pre-Lombardi days - I was about 7 years old and listening to the Packers on the radio - Tobin Rote at QB, Breezy Reid, Fred Cone, Bobby Dillon, Billy Howton, Bill Forrester, Dave Hanner before he was called "Hawg", etc. About the second year I was a fan, Madison got its CBS TV station, and I could actually SEE the Packers. Before that, the only games we could get were the Bears on the Rockford channel. Those were dark days, but I had the privilege of being in high school and college during the great years leading up to and including the first two Super Bowls.