Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How Did You Become a Packer Fan?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Birther. Grew up in Burlington, WI.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Being from Canada, I was introduced to the Packers relatively late in life! In the space of a few years, I made two trips to Wisconsin to install some equipment, on to Sargento cheese in Plymouth, another to a window manufacturer in Wasau. Both times was during football season, and the love for the team was infectious!

I was in Plymouth on 'Bear' week-end, and went to a little restaurant...there was a sign on the door that said "We reserve the right not to serve immigrants and FIBs". I asked the waitress, a girl that was maybe all of 18, what an FIB was. She answered with a straight face, no indication she was kidding at all! I though it was hilarious.

My first football love was the Edmonton Eskimos, during their amazing run of five straight Grey Cups led by Warren Moon.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I got interested when they drafted Russ Letlow.

Tomah

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Former hockey prodigy?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Raised in Waukesha County in the shadow of St. Vincent of Lombardi. Now reside in St. Charles, IL, just up the river from Batavia & Aurora.

Small world Packer fan story involving the picture of the little girl at training camp last week who is holding DuJuan Harris' hand while he carries her little pink bike with training wheels - turns out she is the 3 year old daughter of a bartender who works at a golf club in St. Charles I belong to. He was bursting with excitement when he showed me the photo and told me the story over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    First Packer draft pick ever. Curly should have traded up and drafted Joe Stydahar.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I was born and raised in Tilden Township. Some were Packers, some were Lions, and a few were Bears.

My parents just raised me right, even though I was born during the lean years.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Grew up in Madison. After watching SB XII I was tempted by fate to become a Cowboys fan, but was soon set straight by those Packer teams of the early 80s, with Lynn Dickey, James Lofton, Paul Coffman and a whole lot of nothing on defense.

Parents both grew up in the Dells with my dad's side having tickets to the Milwaukee games. Think I went to my first game when I was 6 or 7.

Interesting to see all the ties to the western suburbs. I was born and raised in Rockford myself, but have been in Warrenville/Naperville for a few years now since moving here for my wife.
    Go PACK

I was born in a log cabin at route 1, Curtiss, Wi. listened to the pack on the radio,"Rote back to pass, it's incomplete, Rote back to pass, it's incomplete, Rote back to pass, incomplete, McGee in to punt." The owner of our local cheese factory had a block of tickets that nobody wanted in December so got to see some games. The good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by deake View Post
    I was born in a log cabin at route 1, Curtiss, Wi. listened to the pack on the radio,"Rote back to pass, it's incomplete, Rote back to pass, it's incomplete, Rote back to pass, incomplete, McGee in to punt." The owner of our local cheese factory had a block of tickets that nobody wanted in December so got to see some games. The good old days.
    My brother and I used to own about a hundred acres for hunting between Curtiss and Owen. Hung out at Whitey's a bit.

Ever been in Herman's Bar in Curtiss? That was my dad's place.

Quote Originally Posted by deake View Post
    Ever been in Herman's Bar in Curtiss? That was my dad's place.
    Can't say for sure, but chances are pretty good. We used to hit several local taverns. All nice places with good folks.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    My parents moved from Illinois to Wisconsin shortly after I was born but neither was interested in sports enough to have much of an affiliation with the Bears or any other team. I was introduced to pro football playing Madden with the neighbor girl who was a Cowboys fan for some reason, so I wanted to be one too. This didn't last for two reasons: First, watching the cowboys at Thanksgiving I learned that my grandpa was a fan of "The Chicago Bears and any team that played the Dallas Cowboys" and I didn't want to betray my grandpa. Second reason was my elementary school which insentivized being a Packer fan through the organized wearing of their apparel during weeks of rivalry games, and the canceling of school the day after playoff games. By the time we played the Cowboys in the 1995 NFCC I was cheering for the Green, Gold, and no school.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    My parents moved from Illinois to Wisconsin shortly after I was born but neither was interested in sports enough to have much of an affiliation with the Bears or any other team. I was introduced to pro football playing Madden with the neighbor girl who was a Cowboys fan for some reason, so I wanted to be one too. This didn't last for two reasons: First, watching the cowboys at Thanksgiving I learned that my grandpa was a fan of "The Chicago Bears and any team that played the Dallas Cowboys" and I didn't want to betray my grandpa. Second reason was my elementary school which insentivized being a Packer fan through the organized wearing of their apparel during weeks of rivalry games, and the canceling of school the day after playoff games. By the time we played the Cowboys in the 1995 NFCC I was cheering for the Green, Gold, and no school.
    Were you ever able to influence your Mom or Dad to root for the Pack?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Born, Bred, Raised, Dead
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

ZOMBIE!

Birth. Born and raised in Monroe, Wisconsin. The home of the Cheesemakers and the 'Swiss Cheese Capitol of the World'!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Birth. Born and raised in Monroe, Wisconsin. The home of the Cheesemakers and the 'Swiss Cheese Capitol of the World'!
    Make that cheese! Make that cheese!
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston