Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Will Cobb earn the big contract many are expecting?

I think the Packers are thinner now at receiver than any year since 2008, especially if you include TE in the picture. And the effectiveness of the passing attack depends on their ability to spread defenses out and expose their weak points. Boykin has been inconsistent, and I haven't yet seen from Adams the kind of flash that Jennings showed in his first year. Adams might turn out to be a really good one, but he looks like he still needs to grow into the position. Behind Nelson, Cobb and Adams the Packers have a bunch of unknowns. I wouldn't be surprise to see GB overpay (at least by their standards) for Cobb given the lack of proven receivers behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I think the Packers are thinner now at receiver than any year since 2008, especially if you include TE in the picture. And the effectiveness of the passing attack depends on their ability to spread defenses out and expose their weak points. Boykin has been inconsistent, and I haven't yet seen from Adams the kind of flash that Jennings showed in his first year. Adams might turn out to be a really good one, but he looks like he still needs to grow into the position. Behind Nelson, Cobb and Adams the Packers have a bunch of unknowns. I wouldn't be surprise to see GB overpay (at least by their standards) for Cobb given the lack of proven receivers behind him.
    I agree that the WR group is a bit thin. When three of the top 5 leave in two years it is bound to thin things out a bit because their replacements are unknown

It is difficult to compare Adams and Jennings, they are quite different. But statistically their rookie years are not far apart:

Jennings as a rookie had - 45/632/3TDs
    Adams is on pace to have - 43/458/5TDs

and Jennings did it as mostly a starter, because the Packers had Driver and not much else. Ferguson played only 4 games, Koren Robinson played a month before being suspended the rest of the year, the TE was Bubba Franks and beyond that they had guys like Carlyle Holiday and Ruvell Martin.

Adams won't be another Greg Jennings, but he could be another James Jones, or better. That is probably a more suitable replacement for Cobb than a Jennings-type would be anyway.

But I hope they keep Cobb.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Whoa...Ferguson, Robinson, Martin....that should be incentive enough right there to resign Cobb.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I believe Cobb is someone who understands the value of a great QB more than most WRs, since he played the position in college. He has witnessed the utter disappearance of Greg Jennings after he left Green Bay. He has witnessed how Donald Driver has made himself an icon in the community by staying with the Packers and not venturing out for the biggest deal available. He has witnessed how a connection to one QB has made Jordy Nelson an elite WR in the game.

The salary cap situation for Green Bay was far different when Jennings went to Minnesota. The cap was flat and we had several franchise players to get signed long term. Today, the cap is starting to swell again from new TV deals and the key players to the franchise are under contract already. The end of Finley's career basically ensured that Cobb will remain a Packer IMO. Thompson is not going to let Cobb walk...and Cobb seems smart enough to grasp his best chance at earning another hefty payday in 4-5 years is to stay with Green Bay.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I agree that the WR group is a bit thin. When three of the top 5 leave in two years it is bound to thin things out a bit because their replacements are unknown

It is difficult to compare Adams and Jennings, they are quite different. But statistically their rookie years are not far apart:

Jennings as a rookie had - 45/632/3TDs
    Adams is on pace to have - 43/458/5TDs

and Jennings did it as mostly a starter, because the Packers had Driver and not much else. Ferguson played only 4 games, Koren Robinson played a month before being suspended the rest of the year, the TE was Bubba Franks and beyond that they had guys like Carlyle Holiday and Ruvell Martin.

Adams won't be another Greg Jennings, but he could be another James Jones, or better. That is probably a more suitable replacement for Cobb than a Jennings-type would be anyway.

But I hope they keep Cobb.
    Patler, ever since the Packers drafted Adams, I've told my family and friends he's the next Jordy Nelson. He's big, deceptively quick and can catch anything in the vicinity. They also both caught over 120 balls their last year in college. Jordy I think 122 and Adams in the 130s? I don't know, its always been my go to comparison. What do you think of that comparison?
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Patler, ever since the Packers drafted Adams, I've told my family and friends he's the next Jordy Nelson. He's big, deceptively quick and can catch anything in the vicinity. They also both caught over 120 balls their last year in college. Jordy I think 122 and Adams in the 130s? I don't know, its always been my go to comparison. What do you think of that comparison?
    From what little I have seen so far with the Packers, I don't know if Adams has the down field ability that Nelson has. That's why I think of him more like Jones, a guy who might break some runs, but will be more effective running the short and intermediate routes. But, time will tell. I don't remember much about how Nelson looked as a rookie.

Adams is his own player. James jones, physically, is a decent comparison. Instincts, hands, natural talent..... Adams is more like Jennings or Cobb. He knows how to play. I think he's going to be a hell of a player.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

To me, he has a similar style to Larry Fitzgerald. I don't think he'll be that good, but in that mold, the instincts and hands and strength..
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I think he may be slightly more athletic than Jones...but the comparison there works. Adams needs 2 years to develop. He played against poor competition in college, and the jump to the NFL will be a large learning curve. His ceiling is dependent on his work ethic. If he puts in the time this offseason, he will lay the foundation to make an even larger jump after his 2nd season. He is the perfect physical compliment to Cobb and Nelson...where one is best in space and the other is best as a deep threat.

If the Packers retain Cobb, they potentially will have the NFL's best trio of WRs for awhile.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Blog Entries
    Not a huge fan of the Jones comparison; I think Adams runs much better routes and has a level of skills that will get developed way above James Jones.
    Adams will be a better WR
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Anyone know where Cobb lives? Print this out and slip it under his door.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...derss-success/
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Cobb (slot) is a different receiver than Adams (outside), so it's hard to compare what Cobb is to what Adams may be. It's unlikely that Adams will ever be the slot receiver that Cobb is.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Cobb (slot) is a different receiver than Adams (outside), so it's hard to compare what Cobb is to what Adams may be. It's unlikely that Adams will ever be the slot receiver that Cobb is.
    Wasn't it McGinn who wrote an article at the start of the year, expressing the opinion that Adams might be best-suited to the slot, and might turn out to be the reason the Packers would not bring back Cobb? I think it was in the article where he discussed that Cobb seemed to be most productive on broken plays and not very productive running the actual slot-receiver routes.

Rat Starter
    I think it was in the article where he discussed that Cobb seemed to be most productive on broken plays and not very productive running the actual slot-receiver routes.
    That is accurate.

Cobb has had trouble separating b/c he's not the great route runner that Jennings was. How great was Jennings? Check this out:

Wasn't it McGinn who wrote an article at the start of the year, expressing the opinion that Adams might be best-suited to the slot, and might turn out to be the reason the Packers would not bring back Cobb? I think it was in the article where he discussed that Cobb seemed to be most productive on broken plays and not very productive running the actual slot-receiver routes.
    I agree with him about Cobb. But I don't see slot as the main position for Adams. Not yet anyway.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think Cobb is the most underrated football player in the country, and I hope he is healthy for next Saturday's game against the Badgers. I just love that guy.