The Packers will make a solid offer to Cobb, which he will accept if he wants to stay in GB or reject if his objective is to get the top dollar possible. If he stays, people will see it as a "team-friendly" contract, but it won't be an insult, much like Nelson's contract. If GB signs Cobb to a deal as big as or bigger than Nelson's, I will expect to see Nelson's "sweetened" in a year or two if he is healthy and producing. They did that with Driver a couple times.

I don't think the situation with Cobb is very similar to GJ's. When Jennings deal was up, they had Nelson, Cobb and Jones under contract as proven receivers. Boykin looked interesting at least, and they still had Finley for another year. I felt all along the chance of him leaving was good, because he gave the impression of wanting a max contract, and didn't seem to care if he stayed in GB or not.

When Shields contract was up, there was great uncertainty about Williams and Hayward. They needed to sign Shields because he was the only proven CB who they knew to be healthy.

For Cobb, some of it might depend on what they think of Adams by the end of the year. Do they think he is ready to be a full-time starter? If the answer is "yes", there is no urgency to sign Cobb, especially if they still like Boykin in spite of his disappearance this year, and/or if they feel positively about Janis. Abbredaris brings nothing more to the table than the promise he had last year, and maybe less because of the ACL to get past.

My take? I think both sides will want to get a deal done, so it will happen. It could be a "three year special" like the Packers often seem to come up with. That might have appeal for Cobb, too, getting another bite of the apple as he enters the prime years age-wise for an NFL player.