Thread: Will Cobb earn the big contract many are expecting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cobbs not going anywhere. I was worried about losing Nelson, not Cobb. I think TT will extend him mid season after he proves he recovered from injury but before he reaches 1200+ yards. He will likely sign a 3 year extension averaging 7 million a year. Added to the last half of his rookie deal it will be worth about 6 million/year. In a few years he'll still only be 27 yo and if he puts together back to back dominate seasons and stays healthy he'll get the 10 million + type deal.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
    Cobbs not going anywhere. I was worried about losing Nelson, not Cobb. I think TT will extend him mid season after he proves he recovered from injury but before he reaches 1200+ yards. He will likely sign a 3 year extension averaging 7 million a year. Added to the last half of his rookie deal it will be worth about 6 million/year. In a few years he'll still only be 27 yo and if he puts together back to back dominate seasons and stays healthy he'll get the 10 million + type deal.
    If you are Cobb, and you reach midseason healthy and on course for a second big season to go with the one you had in 2012, would you sign a 3 year contract averaging $7 million, or take your chances on the second half of the season and shoot for a big money, longer term contract in the off season, perhaps with significant guaranteed money? I think I would take my chances getting to the off season. Even if the second half doesn't go as well, absent a devastating injury, the 3/$7M likely will still be there in the off season.

Another factor not being discussed is Arron Rodgers. This is big leverage for the packers. If I was in Cobbs position I would take 1 or 2 million less/year to stay in GB and play with Rodgers in the prime of his career. I would consider it a long term investment as Rodgers will make me look better and will line me up for another big pay day at only 27 years old.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!