Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
The trend has been down since Vincent Jackson's deal. Even overpaying Mike Wallace got him nowhere near the previous top deals (Fitzgerald, etc.).

That plus very good rookie contributions (no more waiting 3 years) and a decent draft class seem to point to a depressed market. It has not fallen like RB yet and so predicting it is a dicey business. But it is quite stagnant.

You are right that the one group doing better are the slot guys. Like I said, with an increased cap coming, there is no guarantee his market will be flat.
One of the things that's been learned I think is that it's easy to grossly overpay for receiving talent when you don't have the guy you need to throw it to them. With Rodgers in the mix for the next 8 years or whatever it is, I think aggressively investing in talent at the skill positions around him become good decisions. If we had someone cued up right behind Cobb that projected with confidence to replace his touches (like we did with Cobb when Jennings was in his last year) then that too changes things a bit but I don't see that here at all at this point.