Thread: R.I.P. - Bob Suter

R.I.P. - Bob Suter

I know it's not football, Bob was all about hockey, but this one has hit me rather hard. I have known Bob for 30 years.

Just 57 years old. Way, way to young. So unexpected.

Member of the 1980 Olympic team, brother of Gary who played in the NHL for many, many years, father of Ryan who is starting his 10th year in the NHL. He meant so much to so many youth hockey players. His life was all about promoting and improving the sport. Apparently suffered a heart attack at the hockey rink he managed.

Hockey is really going to miss you, Bob.

Its just about as fitting as could be that he was at the rink.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I had breakfast with Bob not too long ago in Middleton. I bumped into him all the time at the post office and around town.

My favorite part about Bob was he thought of himself as an ordinary guy. He didn't expect anything extra because he had won a Gold Medal. You would go out for drinks with Bob and he would wait in line to get served by the bartender.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Blog Entries
    Lord, Bob Suter is still a young scrappy kid in my mind's eye.

Too bad, way too bad.
    Last edited by KYPack; 09-10-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I had breakfast with Bob not too long ago in Middleton. I bumped into him all the time at the post office and around town.

My favorite part about Bob was he thought of himself as an ordinary guy. He didn't expect anything extra because he had won a Gold Medal. You would go out for drinks with Bob and he would wait in line to get served by the bartender.
    You almost couldn't even force him to talk about his playing days. If anyone asked, he would say "That was a long time ago." then he would start talking about some local kids in the Capitols program, or some local kid that was playing in college. He has been that way since I first met him..

Some of the comments coming from his teammates are so fitting. Bob was not very big, but as tough as they came, and was always the first guy there to defend a teammate. I read an article this morning with an interview he did years ago. He was asked for his most satisfying moment at the Olympics. You might think he would say the gold medal game, or the win over the USSR, or something like that. His answer? It was when Herb Brooks told him to go take care of the Czech player that was trying to intimidate Mark Johnson. Defending a teammate was his most satisfying moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post

That will be a good memory for you about Bob.

A lesson for us all. For years I had dealings with Bob routinely, but in recent years not so much because my involvement in hockey has diminished. But I would often stop at Cap Ice and visit with Bob when I was in Madison. Haven't done so in a couple months, and week before last I was in Middleton and intended to stop in and see him. I got busy and it got later in the day than I expected, so I didn't go but told myself I would next time I was up there.

Take the opportunities you can to stay connected with your family and friends. You never no when the last one will be.

So Dan is probably eating at a place that rhymes with Cupboard that I know well and Patler is driving circles around my house.

The internet is getting really crowded.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wow...so sorry to hear. RIP.
    C.H.U.D.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...090914aab.html

Some nice remembrances by people at UW. What a great hockey family. His brother Gary was a great player who I got to see play against the Blackhawks when he was with Calgary. He later played for the Blackhawks. Bob's son Ryan is currently one of the top defensemen in the NHL. Just like his dad, he's tough as nails.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I went to Bob's visitation last night. It was scheduled to be from 3:00 to 7:00. We got there at about 3:15, and the line was already so long we did not get to the family until about 6:00. When we left, the line was much, much longer than when we got there. I have no idea how long it lasted into the night, nor how they handled it.

The visitation last night and funeral this morning are at the Alliant Center Exposition Hall. Last night the cars spilled over into the adjacent lot for the Coliseum.

It was an interesting dynamic within the crowd. The line in the lobby area was quiet and somewhat somber. From there they had a serpentine line in the Exhibit Hall that passed along displays of photos of Bobs career and life. As the multiple line segments moved past one another in opposite directions, you naturally saw many, many people. Lots of people seeing others they had not seen in years. Hugs and handshakes were the norm. It was somewhat lighthearted, with everyone saddened by what brought us together, but happy to see people we may have lost touch with. Personally, I caught up with dozens of people I haven't seen for years, but had been very involved long ago.

Sprinkled among us, shuffling along the line with us all, were guys who reached the upper echelons of hockey in the US, including retired NHL veterans who played with Bob or his brothers or were coached by Bob during his long coaching career. There were also young boys and girls in line who are still working to get to those levels. It was a vivid reminder of how much Bob did and was still doing for hockey over his 40 year adult life.

Then there was of course the final segment of the line which was hushed and teary as we engaged the family members and viewed Bob one last time. I admit to losing my typical stoic facade when I reached his boys, who I have known since they were first learning to skate.

As is typical at most visitations/wakes the range of emotions went from overwhelming sadness to laughter and levity.

Quite an amazing life and legacy.

Thanks for the writeup Patler.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I went to Bob's visitation last night. It was scheduled to be from 3:00 to 7:00. We got there at about 3:15, and the line was already so long we did not get to the family until about 6:00. When we left, the line was much, much longer than when we got there. I have no idea how long it lasted into the night, nor how they handled it.

The visitation last night and funeral this morning are at the Alliant Center Exposition Hall. Last night the cars spilled over into the adjacent lot for the Coliseum.

It was an interesting dynamic within the crowd. The line in the lobby area was quiet and somewhat somber. From there they had a serpentine line in the Exhibit Hall that passed along displays of photos of Bobs career and life. As the multiple line segments moved past one another in opposite directions, you naturally saw many, many people. Lots of people seeing others they had not seen in years. Hugs and handshakes were the norm. It was somewhat lighthearted, with everyone saddened by what brought us together, but happy to see people we may have lost touch with. Personally, I caught up with dozens of people I haven't seen for years, but had been very involved long ago.

Sprinkled among us, shuffling along the line with us all, were guys who reached the upper echelons of hockey in the US, including retired NHL veterans who played with Bob or his brothers or were coached by Bob during his long coaching career. There were also young boys and girls in line who are still working to get to those levels. It was a vivid reminder of how much Bob did and was still doing for hockey over his 40 year adult life.

Then there was of course the final segment of the line which was hushed and teary as we engaged the family members and viewed Bob one last time. I admit to losing my typical stoic facade when I reached his boys, who I have known since they were first learning to skate.

As is typical at most visitations/wakes the range of emotions went from overwhelming sadness to laughter and levity.
    Thanks for the update. I am out of town in Duluth for an inline marathon. I wish I would have been there.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

The MoI was the pinnacle of the Olympics for me (I was 12). Suter and the rest of those lads will always remain Giants in my eyes. I am saddened that my children will likely never see a David and Goliath story like that.

God, but that was amazing. 34years later it still brings a tear to my eye.

And thanks for the report, Patler. Wise as always.