Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherrodhouse

Sherrodhouse

Bill Scott said on the Mike Lucas Show today that he expects Sherrod won't make the roster. His thinking is that Sherrod's feet are just too slow to play NFL tackle. Unfixable problem. Scott said if Sherrod makes roster, Thompson will keep working on finding a replacement.

That's two packer journalists who have had pretty dire assessments. Jason Wilde and Bill Scott are not bomb throwers.

I know this topic has been beaten to death already, but I thought I saw the horse move a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Bill Scott said on the Mike Lucas Show today that he expects Sherrod won't make the roster. His thinking is that Sherrod's feet are just too slow to play NFL tackle. Unfixable problem. Scott said if Sherrod makes roster, Thompson will keep working on finding a replacement.

That's two packer journalists who have had pretty dire assessments. Jason Wilde and Bill Scott are not bomb throwers.

I know this topic has been beaten to death already, but I thought I saw the horse move a little.
    This is getting dumb (reporters, not Harlan).

Bill Scott is famous for having not attended any Packer practices in years and is regularly derided for his pronouncements based on reading the paper.

Wilde is strictly a storyline guy. Last week Sherrod was fine. This week he must be replaced. He keeps no stats and talks to few people outside of the Packers except players and agents. I get the concern and the subject is not a manufactured controversy, but people need to let this play out. Thompson isn't going to trade a draft pick for a backup tackle and anyone off the street will be worse, even if a vet. Ask the Steelers and Big Ben how replacement level tackles play in the NFL.

In Tennessee on a wet track, people were encouraged by Sherrod's performance on a poor surface, feeling that if he could perform in poor conditions he must really trust his leg.

Now on a fast track with 3 bad plays, he is clearly gimpy and slow, doesn't trust his leg and can no longer be a Tackle. This is Column A and Column B reporting, taking two quite possibly unrelated facts, finding causation and declaring the end of a career.

Against KC before the injury, Sherrod was very much able to catch the very quick rushers that were coming at him. He had some kind of odd, short and narrow setup in St. Louis that served him poorly. They have to correct, adjust and let him get better. When McCarthy said the kid needs reps, he didn't mean an entire offseason of no mistakes.

He meant he has to learn it step by step again.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Be more worried about the Rubber Ducky comet:

michel @quark1972
    comet #67P/ #Churyumov-Gerasimenko on the ground.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This is getting dumb (reporters, not Harlan).
    Oh, I'll own a little stupidity for creating a new thread. But I expect Sherrod will be this year's controversy, at least for a while, so it deserves a neighborhood watch program.

Sherrod did look slow. You think it might be a gimpy leg on the mend. I'm lighting two candles tonight, one for Bakhtiari, the other for Bulaga.

Who exactly do they think will make the team at OT? If Bakh or Bulaga get hurt, the Packers will be without 2 of their top 3 OT's. There probably isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't have issues if that happened to them. If Sherrod has to start and he struggles, they will find ways to give him help. The Packers went 23-6 in 2011-2012 with Marshall Newhouse at LT. They'll be okay if Sherrod has to play.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Lol these vuys are clowns. Not going to make the roster? Who'll back up Bulaga and Bakhtiari? The ghost of Gillingham??

So far Newhouse has been the better player. I'm not so sure they'll be fine with Sherrod on the field.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    So far Newhouse has been the better player. I'm not so sure they'll be fine with Sherrod on the field.
    Well, Newhouse has had more of an opportunity to play since his missed block on Tamba Hali resulted in Sherrod's shattered leg.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

If you have one weak link in the O Line, you can usually cover it with scheme or positioning or whatever. When Sherrod messed up, he was probably the best or at least highest regarded of the second teamers, so he wasn't gonna get any covering up. Furthermore, part of that messing up was against the Rams first team DEs. At very least, he should be an adequate backup. I'm still rooting for him to outplay Bakhtiari and start, although after last week, that seems less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Who exactly do they think will make the team at OT? If Bakh or Bulaga get hurt, the Packers will be without 2 of their top 3 OT's. There probably isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't have issues if that happened to them. If Sherrod has to start and he struggles, they will find ways to give him help. The Packers went 23-6 in 2011-2012 with Marshall Newhouse at LT. They'll be okay if Sherrod has to play.
    This.

The Rams game is being shown this morning on the NFLN so I am going to watch it again and make it a point to check out all of Sherrod's play to see if he was as dreadful as some are saying. I remember he messed up when he first went in but I want to see if his play improved the longer he was in.

Um, yea. Won't make the roster. Got it.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    This.

The Rams game is being shown this morning on the NFLN so I am going to watch it again and make it a point to check out all of Sherrod's play to see if he was as dreadful as some are saying. I remember he messed up when he first went in but I want to see if his play improved the longer he was in.
    Rats. I was wrong, NFLN is not showing the Packer game this morning. They are showing the Steeler/Bills game. Their website lied to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Um, yea. Won't make the roster. Got it.
    Are you suggesting that Jeremy Vujnovich or John Fullington are not ready to be the #3 tackle??

Seriously, though, I wonder what might have happened with Sherrod if Barclay hadn't been hurt. Some reports have said Lane Taylor has been decent at guard. I could have seen the Packers going with 8 OL including Barclay, Taylor and Linsley.

I'm trying to remember if the Packers ever brought-in a serviceable offensive tackle during training camp or in-season.

Rootie Tootie Robbins comes to mind, not sure. I remember there was an aging vet for San Fran that was brought in briefly.
    Probably a trade for a guy better than Sherrod is a long shot.

edit: I think the San Fran guy's name was "Wallace"
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 08-19-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Newhouse started for the Bengals last week because regular starter was hurt. Wonder how he looked.

Hey, perhaps a trade for Newhouse!?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Rats. I was wrong, NFLN is not showing the Packer game this morning. They are showing the Steeler/Bills game. Their website lied to me.
    I think it's on sometime on Wednesday - at least that's what my DVR told me. It could be lying too.

It could be worse, we could have Barbre. Eagles fans and reporters were so high on him and weren't worried at all that he'd have to play the first four games for suspended Lane Johnson. I guess they saw the true Barbre this past week and now everyone's scared.

YA know, I can't find any instance where the Packer got an offensive tackle after training camp opened. I think they tried-out Steve Wallace from San Fran but didn't sign him. Bruce Wilkerson was signed before training camp, ended up playing in 1996 Super Bowl.

Maybe they signed some guy off waivers sometime but I don't remember.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    YA know, I can't find any instance where the Packer got an offensive tackle after training camp opened. I think they tried-out Steve Wallace from San Fran but didn't sign him. Bruce Wilkerson was signed before training camp, ended up playing in 1996 Super Bowl.

Maybe they signed some guy off waivers sometime but I don't remember.
    2009, mebbe?

The Barbre experiment at RT blew up in everybodies face, so they brought back old war horse Mark Tauscher to finish out the year.

Taush had been out since hurting his knee in 2008.

He got the position stabilized and the Pack made the play-offs, only to lose to AZ in that crazy final game.

nm