Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sherrodhouse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    What did the Packer's do to help Sherrod in that game? He is coming in cold to play against an outstanding defensive line from the SB champions.

I didn't see a RB or TE on that side to help chip the end.
    They didn't seem to roll coverage to his side to help.
    The play-calling didn't look like it was adjusted much.

I'm not making excuses for poor play, but just about any backup tackle in the league would have struggled in that situation.
    This was my biggest beef about the Sherrod situation Thursday night. They put a grass green guy out there one on one against some of the best bull rushers in the league and expected him to excel? This is what drives me crazy. Our coaches don't seem to put our players in the best positions to succeed. They try to put square pegs into round holes.

BTW, I wasn't comparing Sherrod to Cliffy - I just wondered how Cliffy would have done in that situation with as few regular season snaps under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    This was my biggest beef about the Sherrod situation Thursday night. They put a grass green guy out there one on one against some of the best bull rushers in the league and expected him to excel? This is what drives me crazy. Our coaches don't seem to put our players in the best positions to succeed. They try to put square pegs into round holes.

BTW, I wasn't comparing Sherrod to Cliffy - I just wondered how Cliffy would have done in that situation with as few regular season snaps under his belt.
    You do remember that Sherrod played almost his entire rookie season, don't you? They even tried to give him the starting job by having him alternate series with Newhouse one game late in the season, and afterward they said Newhouse would continue as the starter.

Sherrod isn't a green as grass rookie. He has more experience than you give him credit for. After practicing half of last season, having a full off season and playing more snaps than any other lineman in preseason, I can't even give him a lot of leeway for rust anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    You do remember that Sherrod played almost his entire rookie season, don't you? They even tried to give him the starting job by having him alternate series with Newhouse one game late in the season, and afterward they said Newhouse would continue as the starter.

Sherrod isn't a green as grass rookie. He has more experience than you give him credit for. After practicing half of last season, having a full off season and playing more snaps than any other lineman in preseason, I can't even give him a lot of leeway for rust anymore.
    In Sherrod's rookie season (2011) he played in 5 games until he broke his leg. I wouldn't categorize that as playing his entire rookie season. In 2013 he played in 7 games. So in 3 seasons he has played in a total of 12 games with an entire season lost in between. If you want to nit-pick, okay, he isn't a rookie but that doesn't mean he isn't green.

In Sherrod's rookie season (2011) he played in 5 games until he broke his leg. I wouldn't categorize that as playing his entire rookie season. In 2013 he played in 7 games. So in 3 seasons he has played in a total of 12 games with an entire season lost in between. If you want to nit-pick, okay, he isn't a rookie but that doesn't mean he isn't green.
    Nit pick? My gosh, he had 20 weeks of practice with the Packers his rookie season. He had 8 or 9 more weeks of practice last year. That was 7 months of practices before this off season even began, and you talk as if he is a rookie. He had a full veterans off season program this year (not the hit-and-miss rookie program) and extensive playing time this preseason, more than anyone else and more than rookies typically get. He has a heck of a lot more experience now than Bakhtiari had last year, and even a lot more than Newhouse had when he was first thrown into the starting lineup.

He needs to become a player. His excuses are worn out.

Sherrod was hurt in week 15. He missed two weeks of the season. How much more did he need before you would count his rookie season as a season played for the Packers?

Rookies who don't play a lot but practice all year are not expected to play like rookies the next year. It is when they are supposed to make the big jump. This should be Sherrod's year to make the jump.

Are you giving Datone Jones the same leniency this year. Do you have no expectations for him simply because he didn't play much last year? Or, do you expect him to step up his game because he has had a year with the team already?
    Last edited by Patler; 09-07-2014 at 01:32 AM.

The TE spent a lot of time to Sherrod's side in the second half. Perhaps not before the safety though. McCarthy doesn't like to do it until forced.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The TE spent a lot of time to Sherrod's side in the second half. Perhaps not before the safety though. McCarthy doesn't like to do it until forced.
    poor Sherrod, even his daddy is jumpin ship

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    poor Sherrod, even his daddy is jumpin ship
    4 pressures, 1 the coaches said was a bad protection call. Not giving up hope, but improvement has to happen faster or he isn't going to get to keep getting more reps and he absolutely needs more reps.

Putting a TE on the side can cause confusion. On one play I watched, the TE chipped the DE way inside and Sherrod moved to cover him. On the way he ran into Lang who was tangling with a guy trying to get outside. Might have been a stunt.

But having the TE make that hit made the player move faster and caused greater O disruption that the stunt alone.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

could mean anything, all we know for sure is Bulaga has a knee

If you ask me, and nobody did, I think Sherrod just doesn't have the feet to play. Ex-Badger Groy is on Chicago's practice squad. I expect he could do better, he's moves very well. Or Jeremy Vujnovich from the Packer practice squad.

I think Sherrod looks worse than Newhouse and it is time to cut losses.

Obviously I know close to nothing compared to the Packer decision makers. But could some pride be involved in a reluctance to cut a former first round pick?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    If you ask me, and nobody did, I think Sherrod just doesn't have the feet to play. Ex-Badger Groy is on Chicago's practice squad. I expect he could do better, he's moves very well. Or Jeremy Vujnovich from the Packer practice squad.

I think Sherrod looks worse than Newhouse and it is time to cut losses.

Obviously I know close to nothing compared to the Packer decision makers. But could some pride be involved in a reluctance to cut a former first round pick?
    I have gathered from reading some of your posts here that you were a wrestler. I come from the state of Iowa, so I know a little about that sport. When you wrestled, did you ever have a match where you were up against a faster, superior athlete, and you lost your good technique because you panicked?

I am curious to see if Sherrod's issues are technique-based. We know he has not played meaningful snaps in a long time. Just because his leg is now healed well enough to be playing again, doesn't mean there is not a good bit of rust to shake off. Time to see how he responds, and whether he gets better with his technique and how that translates to his performance. The next test will be a challenge as well. The Jets have some monsters on the D-line.

Since the Packers are in a spot (again) with depth being challenged, here's hoping that Sherrod's issues are mental (correctable technique for him to process pre-snap) and not physical (having lost it physically because of the injury).
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    you lost your good technique because you panicked?
    Sherrod has the yips! It's a WI epidemic.

What you suggest is possible, but keep in mind that Sherry got yippy against St. Louis's 2nd string and practice squad.

I have two more Al Bundy-like wrestling stories that I've already worn out. I beat Tim Krumrie in wrestling in high school. When I was a heavyweight in college, the athletic director was Otto Graham, and he tried to get me to play football.

Since then, I've been pretty occupied at the shoe store.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 09-07-2014 at 02:26 PM.

If you ask me, and nobody did, I think Sherrod just doesn't have the feet to play. Obviously I know close to nothing compared to the Packer decision makers.
    thats my take on him as well. he doesn't have the feet or speed to handle the speed/edge rushers. he looks just fine against mauler types, but it seems like he can be beat every time by the speed guys.

unfortunately, theres a lot of speed rushers in the NFL right now

and i don't know lineman, but i'm not thinking that is something that can just be "fixed"

maybe he should be a guard?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    thats my take on him as well. he doesn't have the feet or speed to handle the speed/edge rushers. he looks just fine against mauler types, but it seems like he can be beat every time by the speed guys.

unfortunately, theres a lot of speed rushers in the NFL right now

and i don't know lineman, but i'm not thinking that is something that can just be "fixed"

maybe he should be a guard?
    ??

His worst two plays in the preseason were getting run over by bull rushers and that just about happened in his rookie season. His feet and arm/hands (reach not punch) were his strength. In two road games (Rams and Seahawks) it looks like his feet or speed have left him.

He can still lock a guy up if he gets him in anything but a bull rush, but the problem now is that he isn't getting to them.

When he went into the games his rookie year, he had a couple of wary snaps where he lost his guy on his first step. But he adjusted and looked solid.

He has not adjusted on the road yet.

McGinn seems to think that Sherrod is slower post-injury than he was before. If that's the case, it's doubtful he can be a reliable tackle. He's stronger than he used to be. His best shot might be at Guard.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

McGinn's assessment of Sherrod after his rookie season:

"He needs a ton of technique work along with greater urgency in his approach. He's still a long way away. Grade: F."

McGinn's assessment of Sherrod after his rookie season:
    That seems overly harsh. I didn't see F play from him even in the rookie year. But I did not watch him in practice.

That seems overly harsh. I didn't see F play from him even in the rookie year. But I did not watch him in practice.
    I don't know, it seems to me that a guy who couldn't outplay Newhouse probable earned the "F".

I don't know, it seems to me that a guy who couldn't outplay Newhouse probable earned the "F".
    I have always wondered about that. He was clearly a better pass blocker on the right side than Newhouse and neither was a lights out run blocker. That would have been during his snaps after injuries struck others.

His practices must not have been good. However, I don't remember most of his end of game snaps at Left Tackle he got during the competition with Newhouse. Those might have looked worse.

However, I don't remember most of his end of game snaps at Left Tackle he got during the competition with Newhouse. Those might have looked worse.
    I remember completely falling of the Sherrod bandwagon (if I was ever on it) when he split time at LT with Newhouse against Oakland. I didn't remember the details, other than he had played a lot, until a reread an article now. He played the entire second half and a series in the first half. Newhouse had been struggling and inconsistent, it was almost the end of the season, and I hoped the physically big 1st round draft choice would show he had the talent to be given the chance. MM and Newhouse both said the two tackles had split time in practice for several weeks, and both knew that a "competition" was coming in a game. Both knew (or expected) it would be against Oakland. When all was said and done, MM basically said the next week that the competition was over, and they would stick with Newhouse the rest of the year.

That was why I have been surprised when some have recalled Sherrod being better at the end of the season. He was given a golden opportunity and couldn't take advantage. So, he improved but was still worse than Newhouse???????