Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Sherrodhouse

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    thats my take on him as well. he doesn't have the feet or speed to handle the speed/edge rushers. he looks just fine against mauler types, but it seems like he can be beat every time by the speed guys.

unfortunately, theres a lot of speed rushers in the NFL right now

and i don't know lineman, but i'm not thinking that is something that can just be "fixed"

maybe he should be a guard?
    ??

His worst two plays in the preseason were getting run over by bull rushers and that just about happened in his rookie season. His feet and arm/hands (reach not punch) were his strength. In two road games (Rams and Seahawks) it looks like his feet or speed have left him.

He can still lock a guy up if he gets him in anything but a bull rush, but the problem now is that he isn't getting to them.

When he went into the games his rookie year, he had a couple of wary snaps where he lost his guy on his first step. But he adjusted and looked solid.

He has not adjusted on the road yet.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

McGinn's assessment of Sherrod after his rookie season:

"He needs a ton of technique work along with greater urgency in his approach. He's still a long way away. Grade: F."

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Sherrod didn't play enough his rookie year to get an F. He should have gotten an Incomplete.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    McGinn's assessment of Sherrod after his rookie season:
    That seems overly harsh. I didn't see F play from him even in the rookie year. But I did not watch him in practice.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Sherrod didn't play enough his rookie year to get an F. He should have gotten an Incomplete.
    He played roughly two games worth of snaps.
    I've never understood the point of McGinn giving as many incompletes as he does. Sure, if a guy ir injured, or plays behind an established veteran. But if he isn't good enough to play and contribute, especially when he is a first or second round pick and plays a position that has needs, that tells a lot and justifies a grade, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That seems overly harsh. I didn't see F play from him even in the rookie year. But I did not watch him in practice.
    I don't know, it seems to me that a guy who couldn't outplay Newhouse probable earned the "F".

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I don't know, it seems to me that a guy who couldn't outplay Newhouse probable earned the "F".
    I have always wondered about that. He was clearly a better pass blocker on the right side than Newhouse and neither was a lights out run blocker. That would have been during his snaps after injuries struck others.

His practices must not have been good. However, I don't remember most of his end of game snaps at Left Tackle he got during the competition with Newhouse. Those might have looked worse.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    However, I don't remember most of his end of game snaps at Left Tackle he got during the competition with Newhouse. Those might have looked worse.
    I remember completely falling of the Sherrod bandwagon (if I was ever on it) when he split time at LT with Newhouse against Oakland. I didn't remember the details, other than he had played a lot, until a reread an article now. He played the entire second half and a series in the first half. Newhouse had been struggling and inconsistent, it was almost the end of the season, and I hoped the physically big 1st round draft choice would show he had the talent to be given the chance. MM and Newhouse both said the two tackles had split time in practice for several weeks, and both knew that a "competition" was coming in a game. Both knew (or expected) it would be against Oakland. When all was said and done, MM basically said the next week that the competition was over, and they would stick with Newhouse the rest of the year.

That was why I have been surprised when some have recalled Sherrod being better at the end of the season. He was given a golden opportunity and couldn't take advantage. So, he improved but was still worse than Newhouse???????

I just don't remember that game. I remember him with the two injury fill-ins in the middle of the season. And his time at KC. Don't remember the Oakland stint. I thought he looked very good versus KC and that might be what I was going off of.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...awks/15362145/

"I think Derek probably had his best training camp to date, and we just need him to play like that," veteran left guard Josh Sitton said. "He was playing well in training camp, and honestly I think he played well (against the Seahawks), with the exception of a couple of plays. They just happened to be plays that everybody's talking about it. He's just got to continue to get better and build that confidence. If he can build that confidence, he'll be fine.

"For him, it's mental. He's missed a lot of football over the last couple of years. I don't know exactly what he's got to do to get that confidence back, but it starts on the practice field. If he can get that confidence, he'll be fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...awks/15362145/

"I think Derek probably had his best training camp to date, and we just need him to play like that," veteran left guard Josh Sitton said. "He was playing well in training camp, and honestly I think he played well (against the Seahawks), with the exception of a couple of plays. They just happened to be plays that everybody's talking about it. He's just got to continue to get better and build that confidence. If he can build that confidence, he'll be fine.

"For him, it's mental. He's missed a lot of football over the last couple of years. I don't know exactly what he's got to do to get that confidence back, but it starts on the practice field. If he can get that confidence, he'll be fine."
    Being on the road isn't helping him. Being at home will give him an edge.

Sherrod struggled at times in the preseason his rookie year, but showed promise. He had one awful game and one solid game in the regular season.

It must have been the game against Atlanta where he played well.

http://allgbp.com/2012/02/12/derek-s...d-report-card/

His season highlight was probably the week 5 game against Atlanta. With Bryan Bulaga out with an injury and Chad Clifton leaving after 15 plays with a hamstring injury, Sherrod slotted in at right tackle with Newhouse moving to the left side. Despite minimal experience at right tackle, Sherrod found his bearings and played reasonably well. He allowed no sacks or QB hits and garnered positive reviews from his coaches after the game. His lowlight, of course, was the Kansas City game.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 09-11-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Sounds like Packers are going to risk Bulaga's season rather than risk putting Sherrod on the field, even for a single game at home.

I don't agree with that decision, but it suggests the coaches see Sherrod as a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Sherrod struggled at times in the preseason his rookie year, but showed promise. He had one awful game and one solid game in the regular season.

It must have been the game against Atlanta where he played well.

http://allgbp.com/2012/02/12/derek-s...d-report-card/
    That is pretty much how I remember his rookie year. The first, awful game I barely remember, but had convinced myself that like the Rams preseason game relier this year, it started out bad and got better.

Lang is saying he expects Bulaga to be available and that he did more Thursday than Wednesday. But I doubt its decided yet.
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-12-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    I remember a whole lot of awful mixed in with a few occasionally good plays
    So any bad play is not a surprise here
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?