Thread: Pay to Play? NFL Reverse Payola

Pay to Play? NFL Reverse Payola

Wanna play the Super Bowl Halftime?

Perhaps, since record companies paid the radio station to air the act, its really just regular payola.

Then you might have to pay the League for the privilege. And, in an almost unbelievable ask, also pay a percentage of your tour ticket sales after the Halftime Show.

This is the beginning of the end.

http://www.avclub.com/article/coldpl...lay-sup-208329

Original from WSJ but its behind their paywall: http://online.wsj.com/articles/nfl-t...owl-1408465018

Quote Originally Posted by Onion AV Club
    though it’s also asking “at least some of the acts” if they’d be willing to pay the league for the privilege of playing the halftime show—something that’s absolutely insane, but not 100 percent unreasonable, considering how many people actually watch the performance. Alternately (and this is where it gets wacky), they should “be willing to contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income to the league.”
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Its free market. I say they can do what they want, but if no one bites they look like assholes.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Its free market. I say they can do what they want, but if no one bites they look like assholes.
    But its not truly a free market, or at least, its not perfectly competitive. There is a limited number of acts that afford to do this and get the payoff at the backend with a tour in midwinter. So two problems arise:

1. You get acts the Super Bowl audience might not want to see because those acts are the one's with the money and big tours.

2. You have acts that will be increasingly willing to take back control of the content of the show.

There will be good fits, but I think this goes wrong eventually in a similar way the MYV version did.*

* Long before the wardrobe malfunction, people were not happy with the entertainment choices.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

They have bands play during the Super Bowl? What will they think of next? Seriously, who watches the official halftime show other than the people stuck in the stadium? I stopped watching so long ago I couldn't tell you any of the bands.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    But its not truly a free market, or at least, its not perfectly competitive. There is a limited number of acts that afford to do this and get the payoff at the backend with a tour in midwinter. So two problems arise:

1. You get acts the Super Bowl audience might not want to see because those acts are the one's with the money and big tours.

2. You have acts that will be increasingly willing to take back control of the content of the show.

There will be good fits, but I think this goes wrong eventually in a similar way the MYV version did.*

* Long before the wardrobe malfunction, people were not happy with the entertainment choices.
    I meant more of "its a free market and no one HAS to pay the NFL to play if they don't want to". I think they may end up with egg on their faces with this one.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Bring back Up With People!
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Someone should start a kickstarter campaign to get Body Count in there.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wanna play the Super Bowl Halftime?

Perhaps, since record companies paid the radio station to air the act, its really just regular payola.

Then you might have to pay the League for the privilege. And, in an almost unbelievable ask, also pay a percentage of your tour ticket sales after the Halftime Show.

This is the beginning of the end.

http://www.avclub.com/article/coldpl...lay-sup-208329

Original from WSJ but its behind their paywall: http://online.wsj.com/articles/nfl-t...owl-1408465018
    As a musician type dude...

This is straight retarded.

Just put SLAYER on and be done with it.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKickass View Post
    Just put SLAYER on and be done with it.
    You. I like you. Start it out with World Painted Blood and roll into Angel of Death. Watch as the crowd sits in awe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Seriously. Now that was an event. You can see any pop band/performer many times a year. Up With People only re-formed for the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    You. I like you. Start it out with World Painted Blood and roll into Angel of Death. Watch as the crowd sits in awe.
    I'm down.
    C.H.U.D.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    That cracka ass shit ain't bad. Works for the halftime "smoke" break.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I didnt watch the half time show when I was in the Stadium...missed the nip slip...This is not a big deal at all, 12 minutes equals $100 million in free advertising for the artist. Maybe no upfront fee but a percentage of ticket increase at shows after.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Those pieces of shit did 4 SB halftimes!

The entertainers never were paid, it has always been done for the exposure.

The PR from this make the NFL look like the pigs they are, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    That cracka ass shit ain't bad. Works for the halftime "smoke" break.
    The lead singer's a beaner like you. Just a little farther south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Araya