Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Flynn or Tolzien?

Flynn or Tolzien?

Who's got the inside track for backup QB, Flynn or Tolzien? Flynn came in first last night, but Tolzien seems to be playing better.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Flynn looks like the definition of stop gap right now.

Tolzien looks like a future starter, though not a franchise guy. If you keep two I think you have to keep Tolzien at this point, as he clearly was the better QB last night.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I was going Flynn until last night. Scoots it is.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I think you can cut Flynn and no one will pick him up.

If you cut Tolzien, I think he might get picked up by someone.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I think you can cut Flynn and no one will pick him up.

If you cut Tolzien, I think he might get picked up by someone.
    The Texans or Jets might start him Week 1.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

tolzien looks good this preseason going against other teams 2nd and 3rd stringers. he looked like hell last year playing in games that mattered up against real players

flynn on the other hand looked good last year against real players, but has looked like hell against 2nd and 3rd stringers in preseason

i know what kind of backup flynn is, tolzien still scares me based on last year

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    tolzien looks good this preseason going against other teams 2nd and 3rd stringers. he looked like hell last year playing in games that mattered up against real players

flynn on the other hand looked good last year against real players, but has looked like hell against 2nd and 3rd stringers in preseason

That's where I am at. We have seen Flynn succeed playing with the 1's against the other team's 1's in games that matter. We have not seen the same from Tolzien, so there is more uncertainty with him.

For this year I would want Flynn. I think Tolzien is getting a lot better though and with one more year he should be ready to play if needed. You might need to keep 3 Qbs this year unless Tolzien is ready now. Hopefully it won't matter who we keep.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

I don't think Flynn looked good in general. He looked good in one sense. He did not throw the ball to the other team. Without looking it up, I think what he did better than Tolzien was not throw interceptions. That is good, but very limited.

If Tolzien has worked that out and become more careful, then he is superior in all respects. I agree though, perhaps not until he gets first half snaps next week, we might not know whether that will hold against starters.

Aaron Nagler blew up on Twitter at the idea that Flynn was outplayed. He castigated the team for playing Janis while Flynn was on the field. But Janis was a key reason Flynn looked good last week.

Aaron Nagger can go sit on a brick.

Of course last year when Tolzien was pushed into service after Wallace got hurt he had no clue what he was doing and it showed. I think he looks light-years better this summer. We won't know who will be our #2 until after next week's game against KC.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I don't think Flynn looked good in general. He looked good in one sense. He did not throw the ball to the other team. Without looking it up, I think what he did better than Tolzien was not throw interceptions. That is good, but very limited.

If Tolzien has worked that out and become more careful, then he is superior in all respects. I agree though, perhaps not until he gets first half snaps next week, we might not know whether that will hold against starters.

Aaron Nagler blew up on Twitter at the idea that Flynn was outplayed. He castigated the team for playing Janis while Flynn was on the field. But Janis was a key reason Flynn looked good last week.
    But that was a real bad pick Matt threw last night after we got a turnover.

Flynn's had some big games as a reliever. But he's also not played well at other places in his career. So I think you have to say his record is mixed.

The notion that Tolzien needs to wait for another year of seasoning is unreasonably timid. You have to aggressively promote players when they are ready, and he is ready. If you wait until you think you've got no risk you've wasted too much gain.

The only thing I am sure of is that Tolzien has made the 53, he is far too valuable to give away. If Flynn puts in a decent performance next week, I'm fine with either guy as backup, and I stubbornly insist either guy would draw a decent draft pick as soon as the QB shortage hits inseason.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Flynn's had some big games as a reliever. But he's also not played well at other places in his career. So I think you have to say his record is mixed.

The notion that Tolzien needs to wait for another year of seasoning is unreasonably timid. You have to aggressively promote players when they are ready, and he is ready. If you wait until you think you've got no risk you've wasted too much gain.

The only thing I am sure of is that Tolzien has made the 53, he is far too valuable to give away. If Flynn puts in a decent performance next week, I'm fine with either guy as backup, and I stubbornly insist either guy would draw a decent draft pick as soon as the QB shortage hits inseason.
    HH, you may be right about the trade part. Not that history always indicates what will happen, can you think of in-season back-up QB trades where a team was addressing an injury need? I'm sure there have been, but I can't think of any in recent past (not counting the John Hadl trade )
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I'd rather have Tolzien as the #2. As Pugger said, he looked like shit but that was with very little prep time last year. He's much better this year and to me has a higher ceiling than Flynn.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Tolzien pls.

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    Flynn is a known commodity. He has a tendency to not look good in practice but shine in actual games.

Tolzien I saw in the preseason when he was with the 49'ers and I thought the 49'ers should have kept him. He looked good for a young QB.
    Last year with the Packers I don't think he knew the playbook all that well. He has more potential. He is 26 Flynn is 29.

Ted looks long term. Tolzien is practice squad eligible. The Packers may pay him extra to stay on their practice squad.
    If he clears waivers Ted looks wise and gutsy and he keeps both.

Right now I think it is a coin flip. Whoever is the more accurate passer this next week is the likely winner.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCheez View Post
    Tolzien is practice squad eligible.
    Tolzien is not practice squad eligible.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...lynn/14483513/

Pete Dougherty doesn't think so much of Tolzien or Flynn, so the Packers should only keep one. He gives the example of the Patriots with better backups, Ryan Mallett and Jimmy Garoppolo, who might be wise to keep three and get some trade value out one of the backups down the road.

Jaguars traded Blaine Gabbert to 49ers for 6th last spring
    Raiders got a 7th for Terrelle Pryor from Seattle

There are a lot of trades for unheralded backups, but I can't remember anything during fall season.

I go with Flynn. Tolzien is a decent prospect, but his only production has come against scrubs in the vanilla environment of the preseason. Tolzien may have better measureables and probably has a slightly higher ceiling than Flynn along with being younger, but he's never going to be the starter in GB because Rodgers has another 6-8 years anyway. Keeping a backup who is HUNGRY to get his chance at being a starter someday is foolish IMO for the Packers. It just means you need to find and train a new backup 2 years down the road.

What the Packers need is that Doug Pederson type QB...and I think that is what Flynn is. He had his chance to be a starter in the league and failed. He knows he is a career backup at this point. He has more value to Green Bay than anyone else due to his knowledge of the system and players. He can fill in for 2-4 games and keep the team afloat if need be.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!