Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Flynn or Tolzien?

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Once you broke into the clear, nobody could stop you!

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Score one for CaliCheez

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 6m
    I give up RT @RobDemovsky Clearing up Scott Tolzien's practice-squad eligibility. Guess what? He's eligible NFL says http://es.pn/1vStz5b

Feel free to use this testimonial in your business: Whenever I need an interpretation of overly complicated and poorly written bureaucratic rules, I always trust CaliforniaCheez.

All that work with the GameBooks out the window.
    Thank you. When I always try to know what I am talking about. When I use bold type, I'm pretty sure.

But my point has two big questions:

1) Can he clear waivers (not be added to an active roster)?
    2) Would Ted pay him enough cap money to stay on the Packers practice squad during the season?

Ted has made enough gutsy calls in the past (like cutting AJ Hawk) that I think he can get away with it.
    Tolzien will not know another teams playbook so his value to them is diminished.

The counter argument is he would be running someone else's scout team and maybe Seattle keeps him for a week or so for scouting.

Paying him is not the problem. Getting him past waivers is. There are three teams, Texans, Titans and Jets that he might be their starter. Though the Jets might be beholden to Vick first. And would you be surprised to see Oakland (Schaub/McGloin) take a flyer on him?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I refuse to correct you until someone makes me a personalized "bobblized" stamp.
    First we need to get CaliCheeze a "You've been curdled" stamp.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Paying him is not the problem. Getting him past waivers is. There are three teams, Texans, Titans and Jets that he might be their starter. Though the Jets might be beholden to Vick first. And would you be surprised to see Oakland (Schaub/McGloin) take a flyer on him?
    Jets? Haven't been paying attention, Smith been that bad? I'd heard Vick was acting like he was patently uninterested in being given the ball. As far as Oakland, Carr's performance is probably enough for them to be happy going into the season.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Have to admit, Tolzien looked good last night. It won't surprise me in the least if he is the pick for #2, but I still lean toward Flynn's experience. If the idea is to keep the best 53 players regardless of positions, both should be kept. It just seems that a 3rd QB does so little to help you in a typical season that it is a waste to keep one on the 53 man roster. The chances of him playing a single meaningful snap are really quite small.

Yes, after seeing Carr play last night. From what I've been hearing the 49ers backups have not looked very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Have to admit, Tolzien looked good last night. It won't surprise me in the least if he is the pick for #2, but I still lean toward Flynn's experience. If the idea is to keep the best 53 players regardless of positions, both should be kept. It just seems that a 3rd QB does so little to help you in a typical season that it is a waste to keep one on the 53 man roster. The chances of him playing a single meaningful snap are really quite small.
    Experience is a good thing but if one player is outplaying another why would you cut the better player? I don't know if we have the luxury of keeping 3 QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Experience is a good thing but if one player is outplaying another why would you cut the better player? I don't know if we have the luxury of keeping 3 QBs.
    That's just it, I don't see that either clearly outplayed the other, so I would go with the proven commodity, which is Flynn.