Thread: Flynn or Tolzien?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Tolzien is not practice squad eligible.
    Tolzien is practice squad eligible.

He has been on the game day roster for only 3 games in his career. You are eligible until the 10th game active.

This season with the expansion of 2 spots on the practice squad those 2 are allowed to be over the 3 year limit. There are new rules this year and you may want to read about it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-ti...ad-eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCheez View Post
    The Packer's practice squad is the Vikings & Bears & San Fran's practice squad too, in that any team can sign players off of other teams' practice squads. San Fran would instantly sign Tolzien.

He has been on the game day roster for only 3 games in his career. You are eligible until the 10th game active.

This season with the expansion of 2 spots on the practice squad those 2 are allowed to be over the 3 year limit. There are new rules this year and you may want to read about it.

Not according to every beat writer. Wilde verified via a Twitter post. Something about Tolzien being in his 4th year and players with 3 or less years being eligible.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Not according to every beat writer. Wilde verified via a Twitter post. Something about Tolzien being in his 4th year and players with 3 or less years being eligible.
    Will you read the link provided? Please.

Now, what about my original post wherein there is the possibility that the Packers pay Tolzien enough to keep him on the practice squad?

It does not have to be an either/or question. The Packers are more creative than that and have the cap space.

[B]Now, what about my original post wherein there is the possibility that the Packers pay Tolzien enough to keep him on the practice squad?
    I read somewhere that San Fran's backups are struggling. Tolzien has trained in the San Fran system. Even without 49er interest, Tolzien likely would not clear waivers.

If you continue to harp on this practice squad stuff, I'm going to ask Madtown to give you a little timeout.

Score one for CaliCheez

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 6m
    I give up RT @RobDemovsky Clearing up Scott Tolzien's practice-squad eligibility. Guess what? He's eligible NFL says http://es.pn/1vStz5b

Feel free to use this testimonial in your business: Whenever I need an interpretation of overly complicated and poorly written bureaucratic rules, I always trust CaliforniaCheez.

All that work with the GameBooks out the window.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Score one for CaliCheez

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 6m
    I give up RT @RobDemovsky Clearing up Scott Tolzien's practice-squad eligibility. Guess what? He's eligible NFL says http://es.pn/1vStz5b

Feel free to use this testimonial in your business: Whenever I need an interpretation of overly complicated and poorly written bureaucratic rules, I always trust CaliforniaCheez.

All that work with the GameBooks out the window.
    Thank you. When I always try to know what I am talking about. When I use bold type, I'm pretty sure.

But my point has two big questions:

1) Can he clear waivers (not be added to an active roster)?
    2) Would Ted pay him enough cap money to stay on the Packers practice squad during the season?

Ted has made enough gutsy calls in the past (like cutting AJ Hawk) that I think he can get away with it.
    Tolzien will not know another teams playbook so his value to them is diminished.

The counter argument is he would be running someone else's scout team and maybe Seattle keeps him for a week or so for scouting.