Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Flynn or Tolzien?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I think there is zero chance that Tolzien will be cut, he's made the roster. The question is only whether the Packers would keep Flynn if Tolzien beats him out.
    You overestimate Tolzien IMO
    It's not a given San Fran grabs him
    There will be other QB's cut with higher upside
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Because of Tolzien's history with the 49'ers, they might like him better than Yo Gabba Gabbert, who has looked pretty bad in pre-season
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Well, the good news is we'll have our answer in six days or sooner. I'd hate to have to wait much longer for that crow to be served. The taste and taunting are more bitter when fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Maybe one's with more experience starting (and winning) but I am not sure about upside.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

After his flops elsewhere, does Flynn have any value outside of the Packers? If not, would he will still be available even if they cut him? I suspect that they go with Tolzein and keep Flynn on their speed dial.

I'm starting to think it's 50/50 for Flynn. Tolzien may have shown enough to think he could be a solid backup, and he has more potential. I still think back to last year, and I'm not sure the brass is ready to go through that again. Both guys have shown they belong on an NFL roster.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    I'm with Joe on Tolzien. He needs to prove he can put points on the board. Notwithstanding the outstanding grab be Gillette - after the gift unsportsmanlike gave them another set of downs after the play in which the field goal team was coming on the field - I'm not sure he's shown that he can consistently deliver that yet. Maybe he has in practice. Flynn didn't play great last game but he was hurt by a drop at the goal line by Adams and going back to st. Louis one by Dorsey as well on a couple good throws in the red zone.

Drive for show and putt for dough.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I'm with Joe on Tolzien. He needs to prove he can put points on the board. Notwithstanding the outstanding grab be Gillette - after the gift unsportsmanlike gave them another set of downs after the play in which the field goal team was coming on the field - I'm not sure he's shown that he can consistently deliver that yet. Maybe he has in practice. Flynn didn't play great last game but he was hurt by a drop at the goal line by Adams and going back to st. Louis one by Dorsey as well on a couple good throws in the red zone.

Drive for show and putt for dough.
    Rex 'Sex Cannon' Grossman would disagree! Drive for show ALL THE TIME!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Flynn has shown he can win games, Tolzien has yet to do that.

How much upside do we need in a back-up QB?

But Ted always throws us for a loop come cut downs, history shows; 3 fullbacks anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Flynn has shown he can win games, Tolzien has yet to do that.

How much upside do we need in a back-up QB?

But Ted always throws us for a loop come cut downs, history shows; 3 fullbacks anyone?
    Agreed. I'll take a calm, proven performer with somewhat less potential over the unproven player with a potentially higher ceiling for my back up QB that I hope to never play.

3 fullbacks and 5 TEs were interesting, to say the least. But I'm not sure he can ever top the brief period of no backup QBs that he gave us last year at the end of camp!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCheez View Post
    Tolzien is practice squad eligible.

He has been on the game day roster for only 3 games in his career. You are eligible until the 10th game active.

This season with the expansion of 2 spots on the practice squad those 2 are allowed to be over the 3 year limit. There are new rules this year and you may want to read about it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-ti...ad-eligibility

Score one for CaliCheez

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 6m
    I give up RT @RobDemovsky Clearing up Scott Tolzien's practice-squad eligibility. Guess what? He's eligible NFL says http://es.pn/1vStz5b

Feel free to use this testimonial in your business: Whenever I need an interpretation of overly complicated and poorly written bureaucratic rules, I always trust CaliforniaCheez.

All that work with the GameBooks out the window.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

He does have three accrued seasons, so the GameBook adventure wasn't a total loss, but he has never had a qualifying number of games on the Active roster in one of those seasons.

Citing that rule, a league spokesman said: "Tolzien is eligible to be on the practice squad. … While Tolzien does have three accrued seasons, he's never been on an active roster for nine or more games in any of those three [seasons]."

Tolzien has been on the 46-man game-day roster for 11 career games, but it was broken up over two seasons. He dressed for eight games last year with the Packers and three in 2012 with the San Francisco 49ers. Tolzien was on the 49ers roster for all of 2011, but was inactive for all 16 games that season.
    Demovsky: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...e-squad-status

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m
    Tolzien made it by one game. He was active for 8 with a single-season maximum of 9. His 8 weeks on PS counted as 1 of his 3 eligible seasons

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m
    Tolzien made it by one game. He was active for 8 with a single-season maximum of 9. His 8 weeks on PS counted as 1 of his 3 eligible seasons
    My mistake was in thinking he had been on the 49ers PS for two years, which would have made last year his third and final. Why didn't anyone correct me when I wrote things like this??:

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    As I understand it, a player can still spend only three years on practice squads. Tolzien has used those up.

They made some changes to practice squad eligibility of players who have been on active rosters, but I don't think that helps Tolzien at all because he has already used up his three years on practice squads.

Last year, Tolzien was in the same situation as Breno Giacomini at one time, I think, going to a PS after two years on regular rosters. The Packers kept Giacomini on their 53 man roster for two years, then cut him his third season and signed him to their practice squad, only to have the Seahawks offer him a regular roster spot a few weeks later.

My mistake was in thinking he had been on the 49ers PS for two years, which would have made last year his third and final. Why didn't anyone correct me when I wrote things like this??:
    Do you have a source that makes it clear the exact roster designation of a player?

Because to determine his accrued seasons, I had to dig into six game books each for the 49ers for two seasons. Once I got to six, I stopped looking. To figure out he was NOT on the PS by that method, I would have had to look at all 16 games.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Do you have a source that makes it clear the exact roster designation of a player?

Because to determine his accrued seasons, I had to dig into six game books each for the 49ers for two seasons. Once I got to six, I stopped looking. To figure out he was NOT on the PS by that method, I would have had to look at all 16 games.
    Most teams, including the Packers, have all of their transactions listed on their websites going back a lot of years. It's easy to see all signings to their regular rosters and practice squads. It's easy to search a player name and see eveything for him on that team I couldn't find that for the 49ers, so I searched news releases, and found one from when they released him last year that said he had been on their regular roster the full seasons of '11 & '12, but mostly inactive. I took them at their word, and since he was on GB's PS last year....
    Last edited by Patler; 08-27-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Once you broke into the clear, nobody could stop you!

I refuse to correct you until someone makes me a personalized "bobblized" stamp.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Once you broke into the clear, nobody could stop you!
    Love this, but is it from a movie or TV show? Seems vaguely familiar.