Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Raji's Season Might Be In Trouble

I have no doubt its a full tear. That's just how this team roles. As much as Raji has pissed me off, there is no depth behind him. Pennel has looked good, but he's a rookie. Guoin can't get on the field.

My biggest concern has been the d-line this TC. Depth is gonna be tested. Not good, imo. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Wow. Nobody around here wanted to sign Raji for even the vet minimum this year, and now he's an irreplaceable part of the defense?

Go figure.
    Untrue. Myself and others wanted him back on the cheap.

And he is done.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m
    The results are in and they are not good. #Packers NT BJ Raji is out for the season with a torn bicep, source says. This was the fear
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    So, what do you think they will do to address the roster spot? Do you think they'll go with the depth they have at DL or perhaps look to the last roster cut-down to add to depth? Eliot Wolf, time to earn your money! Find Ted a good fit, please.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

GBPG's WesHod has confirmed out for season.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 4m
    Still, wouldn't expect a ton of panic out of Packers. Use nickel a ton. They have Boyd/Guion/Pennel, and liked Guion a lot.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m
    Here's what Ryan Pickett said right before training camp about wanting to play, and in GB ... http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...265637431.html
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wow, not good to lose your starting NT.
    This likely means Pennel makes the roster, and Guion too. I'd think they will try to play Guion quite a bit in the last preseason game. I think going with Boyd/Pennel as your duo at NT week 1 vs. Seattle is risky, especially with what they have at ILB.

I think they will kick the tires on Pickett and wouldn't be against bringing him back on the cheap if Guion's hurt/no good. Pickett gives them size and some run stopping but zero pass rush. Not sure about scouts bringing some new face in unless it's a surprise veteran cut who might still have something in the tank. I don't see it happening.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 56m
    Research with @RobDemovsky this week revealed #Packers played Okie in 25.2 percent of their total snaps last season. Nickel is the new base

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m
    Source tells @TomSilverstein that Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly are not in the #Packers plans, in light of Raji's season-ending injury.

It sure looked likeRaji was getting pushed around and run right past in this preseason at NT, the same as he did last year wherever he played. This is the ultimate addition by subtraction. The Packers D will be BETTER without Raji. And don't even think about bringing in Pickett! Also, I really don't think we need Guion - assuming he's just another big clod.

Boyd and Pennel have both played a lot better than Raji. Going with them at NT in addition to plenty of the no NT packages will make the Packers better - a lot better as a result of this injury.

Now what about Brad Jones? Somebody said he had a knee injury. Could we have even more addition by subtraction?

Well this sucks, I'd argue nose tackle had the least depth on the team
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 56m
    Research with @RobDemovsky this week revealed #Packers played Okie in 25.2 percent of their total snaps last season. Nickel is the new base
    isn't there someone on this site that makes this same argument?

No major loss.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post

Boyd and Pennel have both played a lot better than Raji. Going with them at NT in addition to plenty of the no NT packages will make the Packers better - a lot better as a result of this injury.
    I will pose the same question I asked Harlan last week. Exactly what games are you watching?
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I will pose the same question I asked Harlan last week. Exactly what games are you watching?
    Back at you - I'll ask you the same. Instead of getting push, Raji got pushed - and it ain't a thing of the past. The snaps he got just last night he got pushed around/pushed back/and run right past. And when Boyd and Pennel were at NT, the same stuff didn't happen.

MARK MY WORDS! Save this post to rub it in if I'm proven wrong. the Packers D will be MUCH better off without Raji in there - assuming they don't pull some shit like bringing back Pickett. I've been campaigning for this the whole off-season - long before they made it obvious they were going that direction - to go to a smaller more mobile better tackling D Line. Raji was the last remnant of the old shit.

I would not have been upset if he had signed with a different team, so I'm not overly concerned that he is out for the year. only difference is that they now have little time and fewer options fpr working in a replacement

Blessing in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    isn't there someone on this site that makes this same argument?
    I don't think anybody's argued against the fact that the 2-4-5 is really our base defense. It's just that some don't have a problem with it--especially in today's NFL. Also, the Packers aren't the only team like this. Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and San Diego also play the 2-4-5 as their base defense. San Fran will likely play a 2-4-5 Big Nickel (where the extra DB is S Jimmie Ward and not a corner). Many teams 3-4 teams play a lot of 2-4-5.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

The Packers won the Super Bowl with the 2-4-5 as their base defense. This is not something new.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

This really is only an impact due to depth IMO. Raji just does not have the desire to be a consistent performer. He is certainly replaceable...the timing is what really hurts the Packers.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

The old Okie 5-2 and the 3-4 are essentially the same. The major difference is whether or not your outside guys are in two-point - standing up or down in 3 or 4 point stances. Coaches always used to teach linemen/pass rushers to get down in the 3 or 4 point. I think the evolution of the way they call (or don't call) holding as well as cut blocks has made the down way less advantageous, and the two point makes sprinting around the corner easier. The 2-4-5 is basically a 4-2-5 with stand up pass rushers.

Not to turn this into another pro or con thread about Capers, but I much prefer all the creative pass rushing and run blitzes over the old plain vanilla way.

Defensive line is very hard for the fans to evaluate, especially when they are playing the 3-4. It is funny to me that so many people are sure that Raji is not much better than the guys on the bench, that TT gave Raji a big contract out of stupidity. TT only gives vets a contract when he thinks they are special.