• Tolzien #2, Flynn #3

6 19.35%
  • Flynn #2, Tolzien #3

14 45.16%

Thread: Flynn Tolzien do-over

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    We saw last year what the quality of QBs looks like on the street. Of course Tolzien will find a team if cut, Flynn too in time.

I do think Patler's idea of just going with Flynn makes some sense, given his low evaluation of Tolzien.

I don't see anybody voting for just keeping Flynn.
    Huh? Mostly we saw Tolzien last year, who didn't have much success in game results and Flynn who did. Tolzien was with GB for 10 weeks before he was asked to play. Flynn bounced around between three (?) teams, sat at home a few weeks, was in GB for something like 5 practices and saved the seaaon.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Huh? Mostly we saw Tolzien last year, who didn't have much success in game results and Flynn who did. Tolzien was with GB for 10 weeks before he was asked to play. Flynn bounced around between three (?) teams, sat at home a few weeks, was in GB for something like 5 practices and saved the seaaon.
    And Scott was on the practice squad until Rodgers got hurt and then he had to be Wallace's backup. A guy on the PS doesn't get any reps so he was truly green when he was forced to play after Wallace got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    And Scott was on the practice squad until Rodgers got hurt and then he had to be Wallace's backup. A guy on the PS doesn't get any reps so he was truly green when he was forced to play after Wallace got hurt.
    A QB on PS does get to study the playbook, so Flynn had 10 weeks of that. He does get to do film study with the other QBs, so Flynn had 10 weeks of that. He does get to watch the #1 & #2 run the offense, so Flynn had 10 weeks of watching and learning from watching Rodgers & Wallace. He gets to run the scout team, so he had practice with mechanics. He should have been as prepared or more prepared than Fynn was when he came in. Flynn even remarked at how much the offense had changed since he was last there.

I'm not saying he was as prepared as he might be now, but 2 1/2 months into the season the excuse wears thin. It's his job to get prepared, and Tolzien is reputed to be a tireless worker in that regard. I will give him some slack, but not a lot. He was in his third year in the league, with two full seasons on the 49ers 53 man roster.

Even this year so far, Tolzien gets yards, but tends to come up short on getting points.

I just don't think he has done enough to get beyond the proven commodity that Flynn is for the Packers. Maybe he will eventually, but he really has not shown that yet this preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    A QB on PS does get to study the playbook, so Tolzien had 10 weeks of that. He does get to do film study with the other QBs, so Tolzien had 10 weeks of that. He does get to watch the #1 & #2 run the offense, so Tolzien had 10 weeks of watching and learning from watching Rodgers & Wallace. He gets to run the scout team, so he had practice with mechanics. He should have been as prepared or more prepared than Fynn was when he came in. Flynn even remarked at how much the offense had changed since he was last there.

I'm not saying he was as prepared as he might be now, but 2 1/2 months into the season the excuse wears thin. It's his job to get prepared, and Tolzien is reputed to be a tireless worker in that regard. I will give him some slack, but not a lot. He was in his third year in the league, with two full seasons on the 49ers 53 man roster.

Even this year so far, Tolzien gets yards, but tends to come up short on getting points.

I just don't think he has done enough to get beyond the proven commodity that Flynn is for the Packers. Maybe he will eventually, but he really has not shown that yet this preseason.
    Pretty much how I feel, but I'm pretty sure you swapped the QBs names?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Pretty much how I feel, but I'm pretty sure you swapped the QBs names?
    Sure did, thanks for correcting it. That's what I get for trying to get a post off quickly before leaving for the rest of the day!