• Tolzien #2, Flynn #3

6 19.35%
  • Flynn #2, Tolzien #3

14 45.16%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Flynn Tolzien do-over

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I don't actually have any zeal for Tolzien, just some manufactured enthusiasm for recreational purposes.
    Tolzien looks significantly better than Flynn this preseason, so I say give him a spin. Your statement there that Flynn is unchallengable is odd.

Ya, so is Eddie Lacy. Tolzien isn't going to clear waivers.
    This talk of the practice squad is just a crutch to make the decision seem easier.

Look at the poll, nobody can bring themselves to just cut Tolzien outright! I'm going back to watching The View, more virile.
    Anything you say, Harlan.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Anything you say, Harlan.
    Welcome aboard Team Huckleby, I am honored by your allegiance. You could do far worse for a guru.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Pretty much how I feel, but I'm pretty sure you swapped the QBs names?
    Sure did, thanks for correcting it. That's what I get for trying to get a post off quickly before leaving for the rest of the day!

OK. But if you aren't going to promote Tolzien to #2, what is the point? You aren't going to learn anything about Tolzien this year.

Tolzien has more talent than Flynn. That will always be true.
    Flynn has more experience than Tolzien. If you aren't willing to promote Tolzien of Flynn, that will remain true.

It is not worth using up a roster spot if you aren't willing to take a risk and promote Tolzien ahead of Flynn.
    I'd want Tolzien's upside.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I've seen how little upside Tolzien has when I watched every Badger game he played in. Whether seeing him in person or on tv, it was not very impressive. Flynn gets it done, it may not be pretty but he gets it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I've seen how little upside Tolzien has when I watched every Badger game he played in. Whether seeing him in person or on tv, it was not very impressive. Flynn gets it done, it may not be pretty but he gets it done.
    Yet you lack the decisiveness to cut Tolzien outright. You want to use a roster spot for him "for the future"? Why hang on to a guy who is not very impressive? Surely there are other not-very-impressive QBs that could be brought in later. TT usually prefers to go with 2 QBs.

I'm curious, people who are voting for a 3 QB roster this year, does that mean you think GB should keep 3 QBs every year?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Both make the original 53. However, If TT finds a waived player from another team worth picking up, Tolzien could be waived.
    Tolzien? Try Flynn. I voted for keeping just Tolzien - I think the poll was "want", right - not what we think will happen?

The only way either is likely to leave is if Ted gets a decent offer of a draft choice in trade - and I think that would only be considered if the offer was for Flynn.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The only way either is likely to leave is if Ted gets a decent offer of a draft choice in trade - and I think that would only be considered if the offer was for Flynn.
    I think greedy Ted would trade either for a #6 or better draft pick. He'd trade his mom for a #3. Draft picks are catnip to TT. Flynn looked good tonight. Either guy is fine for the #2 job, IMO.

i think they keep both on the 53. tolzien wouldn't make through waivers to put on ps. both played well tonight. i think flynn gets the #2 but i wouldn't be surprised or upset if tolzien got it.

Am I the only one who thinks there are throws that Flynn just simply can't make any more? I don't know the whole story on the elbow injury, but seems to me he has missed on just about every throw over 20 yards in the air and rarely shows any "zip" on shorter throws. I honestly don't think he can make either of the throws that were Tolzien's TDs last night.

That said, I voted keep both. At least for a week. Drop either and I believe the Seahawks pick them up and pump them for our offensive calls.

That's what I keep coming back to. Even last night, Flynn missed some throws he should have made, yet he had an 86 yard drive for one TD and a 94 yard drive for another. Sure, the second one was helped tremendously by penalties, but he took advantage of them. It has sort of been the story of his career. He's never been good enough, yet he makes it work. To me, he is kind of the ideal backup, one that could be around a long time, until Rodgers' heir-apparent is found.

I guess I just don't have the same confidence in Tolzien that I have in Flynn, and since the hope is neither will ever become the starter, I like the reliability of Flynn to pick up the pieces if it becomes necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jdrats View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks there are throws that Flynn just simply can't make any more? I don't know the whole story on the elbow injury, but seems to me he has missed on just about every throw over 20 yards in the air and rarely shows any "zip" on shorter throws. I honestly don't think he can make either of the throws that were Tolzien's TDs last night.

That said, I voted keep both. At least for a week. Drop either and I believe the Seahawks pick them up and pump them for our offensive calls.
    I'm not sure Flynn ever did make those throws with any consistency. His arm strength has always been a question mark.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Its interesting that the poll is between Flynn over Tolzien and Tolzien over nothing. The most conservative and most risky choice.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Yet you lack the decisiveness to cut Tolzien outright. You want to use a roster spot for him "for the future"? Why hang on to a guy who is not very impressive? Surely there are other not-very-impressive QBs that could be brought in later. TT usually prefers to go with 2 QBs.

I'm curious, people who are voting for a 3 QB roster this year, does that mean you think GB should keep 3 QBs every year?

Not indecisive at all, I just think it's extremely stupid to go into the season with only one decent back up QB. Especially for the Packers who seem to always mysteriously be bitten by the injury bug.

If you don't think Tolzien is good enough to be the heir to Rodgers, then cut his sorry ass.

How's that for decisive, blue dog?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Its interesting that the poll is between Flynn over Tolzien and Tolzien over nothing. The most conservative and most risky choice.
    Tolzien may be risky relative to Flynn, but if you look around the league, the #2's are a lot of #2. Tolzien is not risky by league standards.

Keeping Flynn>Tolzien is conservative in that you avoid making choices that could fail. But is it really conservative to spend extravagantly on QB resources? That does not fit-in with the Thompson style of GMing. He believes in cutting players a year early rather than a year late. Out with the old, in with the upcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If you don't think Tolzien is good enough to be the heir to Rodgers, then cut his sorry ass.

How's that for decisive, blue dog?
    My nipples are hard. I love a can-do fan.

Tolzien may be risky relative to Flynn, but if you look around the league, the #2's are a lot of #2. Tolzien is not risky by league standards.

Keeping Flynn>Tolzien is conservative in that you avoid making choices that could fail. But is it really conservative to spend extravagantly on QB resources? That does not fit-in with the Thompson style of GMing. He believes in cutting players a year early rather than a year late. Out with the old, in with the upcoming.
    If Rodgers goes down, this is a .500 ball club with either guy. Does it really matter this much or are we just talking to have something to talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Does it really matter this much or are we just talking to have something to talk about?
    the latter.

but bug out, party pooper.

Not indecisive at all, I just think it's extremely stupid to go into the season with only one decent back up QB. Especially for the Packers who seem to always mysteriously be bitten by the injury bug.
    OK, so then you vote for the Packers keeping 3 QBs every season that 3 respectables can be rounded-up?

That might be overly risk averse, wasteful. Most GMs, include TT, lean to 2