8 25.81%
  • Tolzien #2, Flynn #3

6 19.35%
  • Flynn #2, Tolzien #3

14 45.16%

Thread: Flynn Tolzien do-over

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've seen how little upside Tolzien has when I watched every Badger game he played in. Whether seeing him in person or on tv, it was not very impressive. Flynn gets it done, it may not be pretty but he gets it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I've seen how little upside Tolzien has when I watched every Badger game he played in. Whether seeing him in person or on tv, it was not very impressive. Flynn gets it done, it may not be pretty but he gets it done.
    Yet you lack the decisiveness to cut Tolzien outright. You want to use a roster spot for him "for the future"? Why hang on to a guy who is not very impressive? Surely there are other not-very-impressive QBs that could be brought in later. TT usually prefers to go with 2 QBs.

I'm curious, people who are voting for a 3 QB roster this year, does that mean you think GB should keep 3 QBs every year?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Yet you lack the decisiveness to cut Tolzien outright. You want to use a roster spot for him "for the future"? Why hang on to a guy who is not very impressive? Surely there are other not-very-impressive QBs that could be brought in later. TT usually prefers to go with 2 QBs.

I'm curious, people who are voting for a 3 QB roster this year, does that mean you think GB should keep 3 QBs every year?

Not indecisive at all, I just think it's extremely stupid to go into the season with only one decent back up QB. Especially for the Packers who seem to always mysteriously be bitten by the injury bug.

Not indecisive at all, I just think it's extremely stupid to go into the season with only one decent back up QB. Especially for the Packers who seem to always mysteriously be bitten by the injury bug.
    OK, so then you vote for the Packers keeping 3 QBs every season that 3 respectables can be rounded-up?

That might be overly risk averse, wasteful. Most GMs, include TT, lean to 2

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    OK, so then you vote for the Packers keeping 3 QBs every season that 3 respectables can be rounded-up?

That might be overly risk averse, wasteful. Most GMs, include TT, lean to 2
    When it comes to the Packers and injuries I don't think they can be compared to what the rest of the league is doing. They are the exception, in a bad way.

That's what I keep coming back to. Even last night, Flynn missed some throws he should have made, yet he had an 86 yard drive for one TD and a 94 yard drive for another. Sure, the second one was helped tremendously by penalties, but he took advantage of them. It has sort of been the story of his career. He's never been good enough, yet he makes it work. To me, he is kind of the ideal backup, one that could be around a long time, until Rodgers' heir-apparent is found.

I guess I just don't have the same confidence in Tolzien that I have in Flynn, and since the hope is neither will ever become the starter, I like the reliability of Flynn to pick up the pieces if it becomes necessary.