Thread: Belichick As Packers Headcoach?

Belichick As Packers Headcoach?

This one is for Bretsky.

This article intimates, though not explicitly, that the Packers might have been interested in Belichick as Head Coach after Holmgren left and before Ray Rhodes was hired.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bi...new-york-jets/

It only mentions BB turning down interviews with the Bears and Chiefs in 1999, but lists the Packers as a team that had to make another choice. Wolf and Parcells were buddies, they could have obviously talked about Hoody.

Did they have a conversation? Informal or at all? Article says to anyone's knowledge, he did not interview anywhere until the NE job came up the following year. But a side conversation could happen easily with their respective contacts.

Has anyone heard of this before?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Never heard it before. But my recollection is that Wolf was set on Rhodes, and didn't talk to anyone else.

That would have been pretty damn awesome had it worked out that way.

Rhodes got shafted
    Brandon Marshall, MAN...!!
    Jimmie Johnson: Nascar's G.O.A.T......

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Glad we didn't get the cheater.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

I don't think Rhodes got shafted. There were a couple articles, several years ago, about the lockerroom atmosphere under Rhodes. Sounded like the players ran the ship, not much discipline. I think it was a good thing he wasn't retained, though at the time I thought he deserved another two years. But like I said, when you read about the lockerroom, it sounds like he didn't have control of that team.

And I'm glad we didn't get Belihoody. Too skulky, too cheating. He had a great run in NE for awhile, but now he's no longer effective (which is becoming my fear for MM).
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    OMG....HOODY COACH GENIUS would have won us multiple SB's since then and we'd all love him ..........assuming.........he never became our GM
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I don't think Rhodes got shafted. There were a couple articles, several years ago, about the lockerroom atmosphere under Rhodes. Sounded like the players ran the ship, not much discipline. I think it was a good thing he wasn't retained, though at the time I thought he deserved another two years. But like I said, when you read about the lockerroom, it sounds like he didn't have control of that team.

And I'm glad we didn't get Belihoody. Too skulky, too cheating. He had a great run in NE for awhile, but now he's no longer effective (which is becoming my fear for MM).
    Yeah Fritz, Ray Ray let the team get away from him. One of the early indicators was Wolf attending GBP practices in late '99. Things were loose & Wolf told Rhodes to tighten 'em up. The next day saw more of the same and Rhodes down in the locker room playing dominoes with the fellas. The last shoe dropped after the late season loss to the Bucs. The players straggled back to GB, several of them missing the team flight. Supposedly, Ron Wolf went absolutely ballistic and vowed to clean house. Wolf did and Rhodes was canned right after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Yeah Fritz, Ray Ray let the team get away from him. One of the early indicators was Wolf attending GBP practices in late '99. Things were loose & Wolf told Rhodes to tighten 'em up. The next day saw more of the same and Rhodes down in the locker room playing dominoes with the fellas. The last shoe dropped after the late season loss to the Bucs. The players straggled back to GB, several of them missing the team flight. Supposedly, Ron Wolf went absolutely ballistic and vowed to clean house. Wolf did and Rhodes was canned right after the season.
    I remember reading an article after the season that stated that Favre talked to Wolf during the season about his concern about the stuff that was going on. Players late for meetings, taking cell phone calls during meetings etc. When Rhodes' staff was fired, that included a QB coach named Mike McCarthy.