Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why This Is Going To Be A Great Season

Why This Is Going To Be A Great Season

Ok ,key imjuries can derail any season - but as it looks right now, the Packers are set up for a tremendous season
    Why?
    Here we go :

1. Aaron Rodgers (and the QB position). Rodgers should now be at the peak of his powers; a fusion of athletic ability + experience (and last year's injury might make him a bit more aware of the dangers of taking unnecessary risks). Flynn & Tolzien (if both make the final 53) are a huge insurance upgrade over last season.
    2. The 3 - headed ground game. Lacey, Starks & Harris can keep the RB position fresh AND make Rodgers job significantly easier.
    3. The O Line : Baktiari has a year of experience under his belt, Sitton & Lang are a great pair of guards, Bulaga's return solidifies the RT position. Of course, the wild card is Linsley - at least until Trestter's return - but if he can handle things, we look solid.
    4. Receivers : Nelson & Cobb are dangerous standbys, Boykin & Adams should be more than adequate #3s. I think Janis makes the team & will be a Jordy-Nelson-in-training.
    5. TE Not great, but should be adequate. Quarless seems to be holding the seat for Bostick, but Richard Rodgers might emerge as the best option.
    6. The D Line : The real; key player is Daniels, who, if used right, could make another giant jump. The year of experience helps Jones. I think Pennel could be the sleeper - maybe by mid-season making a possible Raji exit next season a non-issue. The line is younger, & faster - and a good rotation could be very effective. PLUS (and a HUGE plus) : Peppers, Neal & Perry could all step in at DE at times - thus keeping that rotation even more fresh.
    7. Inside LB : Not a true strength, but Hawk & Jones have now worked together long enough to hold up. Barrington, in Year 2, could start to establish himself here.
    8. Outside LB : Mathews, if he can stay healthy, will benefit from Peppers on the other side. Likewise for Peppers. Teams won't be able to automatically double Clay any more. With opponents now so concerned with the edges, look for the inside rush - esp Daniels, but linebackers too - to get more opportunities for sacks & hurries.
    9. The Secondary : Having both Hayward & Hyde back there will be huge. Williams & Shield should again be solid - and if House is not just teasing again with preseason flashes - this unit should be a ballhawking machine. AND : Clinton-Dix is learning in the wings + Richardson seems to have also made great strides. Safety now, instead of being a disaster-area, has gone to a major strength.
    10. Special Teams : No fan of Slocum, but Crosby, Mastay & Goode are vets, Bush will do his thing - and Harris as a kickoff returner should be fine

In this humble Shadow opinion, the Pack is poised to have a very good - and perhaps great - season.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

It all comes down to dunderdummy...

We have the offense, we have enough talent on defense - it all comes down to Dunderdummy of the Spraypainted Hair.
    wist

Bring on the Kool-Aide! I'm down for a gallon of that red dye 40 goodness!

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Bring on the Kool-Aide! I'm down for a gallon of that red dye 40 goodness!
    Sorry ass, it's suppose to be green koolaid. Are you a fucking niners fan?

Nice post Grampa Shadow!! Glad to see you still kicking around.

Gamblin' Rat
    Nice post Shadow. We certainly know that it won't be a BAD season by any means. The question is can we peak at the end of the year and finally beat one of the better teams in the playoffs.

I think the younger, faster D Line - with great substitution possibilities - will address that.

I think the defense will be at least fine, if not pretty good this year. Dom can work with players and this year I think he has enough.

The real key will be the O-line in the first 4-6 games. Not just because Tretter is out, but because under Campen they always suck the first 4-6 games, look ok (often with extra protection) for the next 6-8 and then look pretty decent the last 4 games on the season. If the o-line doesn't suck to start the season, watch out NFC.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

If the Pack cam handle the adversity we'll be very happy fans.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Sorry ass, it's suppose to be green koolaid. Are you a fucking niners fan?

Nice post Grampa Shadow!! Glad to see you still kicking around.
    Yeah. Im a fucktard.

I am uncharacteristically optomistic.

This preseason was the first since Holmgren that I thought I have seen the quality of this team in the preseason. Both Sherman and McCarthy usually seemed to be trying to work out other kinks in the preseason and never had the thing running on all cylinders.

The Packers spent the majority of each quarter either playing level with or beating the opponent in front of them. Titans might have gotten them for a quarter, same with Rams and Shaun Hill. But that was it.

It looks promising. The GBPG said the Packers cut the injuries and lost practices in half this year, despite the list of players headed to IR.
    Last edited by pbmax; 08-29-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

This "accent the positive" shit creeps me out, this is like a tent revival meeting. But I will step forward to testify. I'm encouraged that Micah Hyde won the starting safety job ahead of a first round draft pick. Ha Ha looked fine, nothing to worry about there, but Micah looks like a natural. Last year's critical problem is now a strength. Also, Peppers looks very natural and quick at outside linebacker. As Borat would say, "Great Success."

Praise Jesus, brothers and sisters! Bwa-ba-galla gimme kush kush! (that was some speaking in tongues for the uninitiated)

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    This "accent the positive" shit creeps me out, this is like a tent revival meeting. But I will step forward to testify. I'm encouraged that Micah Hyde won the starting safety job ahead of a first round draft pick. Ha Ha looked fine, nothing to worry about there, but Micah looks like a natural. Last year's critical problem is now a strength. Also, Peppers looks very natural and quick at outside linebacker. As Borat would say, "Great Success."

Praise Jesus, brothers and sisters! Bwa-ba-galla gimme kush kush! (that was some speaking in tongues for the uninitiated)
    You've got to accentuate the positive
    eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative
    But don't mess with mister inbetween

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
    Bring gloom down to the minimum
    have faith, a pandemonium
    Libel to walk up on the scene

To illustrate my last remark
    Jonah in the Whale, Noah in the ark
    What did they do
    just when everything looked so dark

They said we better
    accentuate the positive
    eliminate the negative
    latch on to the affirmative
    But don't mess with mister inbetween

[One more Time]

To illustrate my last remark
    Jonah in the whale, Noah in the ark
    What did they do
    just when everything looked so dark
    don't mess, don't mess, don't mess
    with mister inbetween

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    It all comes down to dunderdummy...

We have the offense, we have enough talent on defense - it all comes down to Dunderdummy of the Spraypainted Hair.

You seem to always hedge your bets so you can rip into DOM
    What would be your expectation as to what rated defense we should have in GB ?
    We don't have top 10 talent here IMO on that side of the ball, but we don't need it either with our explosing offense.
    Where do you think we should be ? I'm thinking anything in the fifteen to twenty range would be good and if we are not top twenty that is evidence to lay into DOM.

Looking for your specific view so we can judge Dom off of some expectations given the talent
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

The pass rush will be better this year, and that's a major upgrade.

The D will probably be better - pass rush, Safety play, etc., but we still have a significant weakness at ILB.

Possibly the biggest factor for improvement IMO is the apparent commitment to go "hurry up"/no huddle almost all the time. I hope that wasn't just a means of getting more snaps for more people in the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    You seem to always hedge your bets so you can rip into DOM
    What would be your expectation as to what rated defense we should have in GB ?
    We don't have top 10 talent here IMO on that side of the ball, but we don't need it either with our explosing offense.
    Where do you think we should be ? I'm thinking anything in the fifteen to twenty range would be good and if we are not top twenty that is evidence to lay into DOM.

Looking for your specific view so we can judge Dom off of some expectations given the talent
    I think we have top 10 talent on defense - that's my bitch against dunderdummy.

Still, you can have all the talent in the world, but if the coaching staff is playing a guy like Raji at CB, and Sam Shields at NT - it aint gonna be pretty. What Dom has done the last 2 years has been unwatchable. A lot of legitimate excuses can be made for 2011, and that falls more on TT, but dunderidiot has been given enough talent to excel, if not dominate.

It is true that TT has not brought in personnel that fit a 3-4, or a 2-4 for that matter - but it is up to the DC to make that work - dunderidiot hasn't done that at all... he keeps running his same old scheme, despite the fact that the players don't fit it.

It'll be interesting to see how he plays the 2-4 in run/pass situations this year, now that he really can't go to his beloved, and mindnumbingly idiotic "jumbo nickel". My guess is that if he lines up in the 2-4 on 3rd and 3, with his DT's being Daniels and Jones - we're gonna get run over pretty consistently. We were 27th in rushing yds allowed last year - if DD doesn't adjust to his personnel, we'll be there again.

I've been saying for a few years now... I like a lot of the defensive talent - if I like the talent, and hate how they're being used, and the results are pathetic... well, I don't think it takes Columbo to figure out that the blame rests with the DC.

Either that, or the talent really does suck - in which case the blame rests with TT... it's one or the other.
    wist

Blog Entries
    I think we have top 10 talent on defense - that's my bitch against dunderdummy.

Still, you can have all the talent in the world, but if the coaching staff is playing a guy like Raji at CB, and Sam Shields at NT - it aint gonna be pretty. What Dom has done the last 2 years has been unwatchable. A lot of legitimate excuses can be made for 2011, and that falls more on TT, but dunderidiot has been given enough talent to excel, if not dominate.

It is true that TT has not brought in personnel that fit a 3-4, or a 2-4 for that matter - but it is up to the DC to make that work - dunderidiot hasn't done that at all... he keeps running his same old scheme, despite the fact that the players don't fit it.

It'll be interesting to see how he plays the 2-4 in run/pass situations this year, now that he really can't go to his beloved, and mindnumbingly idiotic "jumbo nickel". My guess is that if he lines up in the 2-4 on 3rd and 3, with his DT's being Daniels and Jones - we're gonna get run over pretty consistently. We were 27th in rushing yds allowed last year - if DD doesn't adjust to his personnel, we'll be there again.

I've been saying for a few years now... I like a lot of the defensive talent - if I like the talent, and hate how they're being used, and the results are pathetic... well, I don't think it takes Columbo to figure out that the blame rests with the DC.

Either that, or the talent really does suck - in which case the blame rests with TT... it's one or the other.

top 10 talent on defense ...wow.....I might try to argue we are average there. our dl's are ok at best but probably below average. our ilb's are junk....our olb's might be elite between Matthews and peppers. The safeties are improved...I think....but average would be a fair assessment. cb's are above average but not elite.

I would consider our talent on defense to be average and expect a 15-20 range defense if we keep our health.

if you think we have top 10 talent on defense you wlll hate dom again this year

Don't mistake this for supporting dom...I think he is average at best......but I don't think he's nearly as bad as you d
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    top 10 talent on defense ...wow.....I might try to argue we are average there. our dl's are ok at best but probably below average. our ilb's are junk....our olb's might be elite between Matthews and peppers. The safeties are improved...I think....but average would be a fair assessment. cb's are above average but not elite.

I would consider our talent on defense to be average and expect a 15-20 range defense if we keep our health.

if you think we have top 10 talent on defense you wlll hate dom again this year

Don't mistake this for supporting dom...I think he is average at best......but I don't think he's nearly as bad as you d
    Yeah, I think we have top 10 talent on defense... despite the fact that we have putrid ILB's - which the braintrust at 1265 seem to love.

Matthews is elite, and while the other spot has been in flux, I think Neal proved he could play it quite well; now with Peppers, we have 2 guys that can excel at that position - it just depends on how they are used.

On the line, which TT has invested much in, we have 3 first round draft choices, that have shown flashes - flashes that indicate if they were used properly, they could excel. Losing Raji hurts... hurts a lot, but Jones and Daniels have both shown ability, and Perry could be a decent player - again, if he is used properly.

We have excellent corners, and Burnett is a keeper - despite wandering in the wilderness last year. The other Safety spot is an issue for sure.

Add the talent up, and yes... we could have a top 10 defense, if only we had a DC that could put it all together.

Concentration of forces... what good does it do to have a guy like D. Jones standing on the sideline in favor of 1 of 2 slugs (Hawk or Jones)?? Why does dunderdummy abandon the middle of the field to 2 fat guys, and 2 ILB slugs, when he could go to a 3-3 and force the offense to adjust to him??

One thing is for sure... if Capers runs the 2-4 down after down after down after down - we will get run over, and if he responds by going to some version of his "jumbo nickel", we will get aired out. Those 2 negative consequences of what Capers has been doing the last few years have, unfortunately, become the norm for this defense - when we could be so much better.
    wist

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think we have top 10 talent on defense... despite the fact that we have putrid ILB's - which the braintrust at 1265 seem to love.

Matthews is elite, and while the other spot has been in flux, I think Neal proved he could play it quite well; now with Peppers, we have 2 guys that can excel at that position - it just depends on how they are used.

On the line, which TT has invested much in, we have 3 first round draft choices, that have shown flashes - flashes that indicate if they were used properly, they could excel. Losing Raji hurts... hurts a lot, but Jones and Daniels have both shown ability, and Perry could be a decent player - again, if he is used properly.

We have excellent corners, and Burnett is a keeper - despite wandering in the wilderness last year. The other Safety spot is an issue for sure.

Add the talent up, and yes... we could have a top 10 defense, if only we had a DC that could put it all together.

Concentration of forces... what good does it do to have a guy like D. Jones standing on the sideline in favor of 1 of 2 slugs (Hawk or Jones)?? Why does dunderdummy abandon the middle of the field to 2 fat guys, and 2 ILB slugs, when he could go to a 3-3 and force the offense to adjust to him??

One thing is for sure... if Capers runs the 2-4 down after down after down after down - we will get run over, and if he responds by going to some version of his "jumbo nickel", we will get aired out. Those 2 negative consequences of what Capers has been doing the last few years have, unfortunately, become the norm for this defense - when we could be so much better.

Man to me, perry has been miscast in the system from day 1 and showed little to warrant the first round he was picked in. raji, the other 1st is out of the year, and while I liked datone jones on draft day he has a lot to show.

I expect about an 18 rating. if we're above that i'll give dom credit and if below that i'll blame him.

tt needs to hit on more picks on the defensive side