Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why This Is Going To Be A Great Season

Actually true about Moses. I have the game film. However, actual 3rd tablet was lost like an iPad playbook dropped on the sidewalk.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    3 man rush doesn't have a place anytime, anywhere, for any supposed reason.

Besides, it's illegal in most states - that's how fucking stupid it is.

In fact, this is a little known biblical fact - when Moses descended from Mount Sinai, he had 3 tablets, not 2... and the 11th commandment was: "Thou shalt never, ever, rush 3. Unfortunately, Moses dropped and broke the 3rd tablet, and those gems of wisdom have been lost forever.

In all of American cinema, only the great biblical scholar, Mel Brooks, has depicted this truth in film!!!

My assessment of the jumbo nickel was in light of using it with the wrong guys - that's the point; our personnel don't fit what dunderdummy is trying to do at all, yet he plows ahead doing the same shit - with disasterous results.

If you were to run the jumbo nickel - and you suspect that it is at least 50/50 possibility of run, then I'd run blitz out of that alignment more often than not; if it's a pass?? just keep on keepin on after the QB.

That said, I wouldn't run the jumbo nickel at all anyway... I'd be in base.
    The existence of a 3 man rush doesn't bother me. I've seen it work. You could say its overused or something with evidence to back that claim but its stupid to talk about a sound strategy in absolutes.

We share the same complaint on the jumbo nickel then. It should have been limited to the gimmick section of the playbook once Woodson left. They did a remarkable job at replacing Woodson with Hayward and then Hyde but the fact that the plan was to just find a new player to replace a hall of fame veteran in the scheme built around him is foolish. Raji's decline rotted the foundation of that scheme even worse. Whatever the new schemes and wrinkles are this year I hope they aren't dependent on any one guy. Thats a high variance way of coaching. Good for making DPOY out of Jason Taylor and Charles Woodson but miserable when you're defensive game plan is tied to a couple of fragile hamstrings.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

If you were to run the jumbo nickel - and you suspect that it is at least 50/50 possibility of run, then I'd run blitz out of that alignment more often than not; if it's a pass?? just keep on keepin on after the QB.

... That said, I wouldn't run the jumbo nickel at all anyway... I'd be in base.
    If you blitz on 2nd or 3rd and short, you are going to hemorrhage big plays, especially given the play of the players in the middle of the D, from safeties to ILBs.

A quick throw in shorter yardage situations doesn't give the D an advantage. Maybe with new safeties, you could trust this D to hold it, we'll see.

I'll say this just to get it on record but I half-expect to be disproven early. Brad Jones looked like he had solved the diagnosis delay he had his first two years at ILB. Now, he could just be going forward on run willy nilly, without much regard for gap or ball, but he looked faster to the play.

If it holds and he isn't exposed as simply guessing, it would make the middle of the D light years better.

BTW, if you are in base facing 3x1 (WRxTE), you are going to have a LB covering a WR. Which is what nickel was invented to prevent. You need to choose which is the greater threat and for 30 years D coordinators have said its the WR.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Reason for success - Rodgers and Lacy only played something like 25 quarters together during the regular season last year, well before Lacy hit his stride.

I'm concerned about the run D. We all know neither Hawk or Jones are great at taking on blocks. If Guion/Pennel don't hold up at NT I could easily see teams running the ball down our throats.

That said, the formula for success is pretty obvious. MM knows he has a lethal offense, hence all the no huddle. If we are able to get a lead and force teams to go to the air, we have enough pass rush and secondary to stop teams IMO.
    Go PACK

I know from watching other teams that bigger doesn't necessarily mean better against the run but its still hard to visualize a Packers team that lost Pickett, CJ Wilson, Jolly, and Raji not being a sieve.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If you blitz on 2nd or 3rd and short, you are going to hemorrhage big plays, especially given the play of the players in the middle of the D, from safeties to ILBs.

A quick throw in shorter yardage situations doesn't give the D an advantage. Maybe with new safeties, you could trust this D to hold it, we'll see.

I'll say this just to get it on record but I half-expect to be disproven early. Brad Jones looked like he had solved the diagnosis delay he had his first two years at ILB. Now, he could just be going forward on run willy nilly, without much regard for gap or ball, but he looked faster to the play.

If it holds and he isn't exposed as simply guessing, it would make the middle of the D light years better.

BTW, if you are in base facing 3x1 (WRxTE), you are going to have a LB covering a WR. Which is what nickel was invented to prevent. You need to choose which is the greater threat and for 30 years D coordinators have said its the WR.
    If you can't cover 3 WR's with 4 DB's - then you should be selling insurance instead of coordinating an NFL defense.

Add to those 4 DB's - a supposedly adept cover LB like Jones... and if it's a pass, both Jones and Hawk are going to drop - Jones, Hawk, and probably 1 of the OLB's.

You can't cover 3 WR's and 1 TE with 6 guys in coverage??

By dunderdummy's reckoning, and the brainwashed Packer masses - it would seem an absolute impossibility.

If it is an impossiblity to cover anyone out of base - then we should never run base - which we don't run much anyway... so why not just scrap it altogether?? Stopping the run isn't even a consideration for Dom, so why have any DL over 280 lbs at all??
    wist

Hyperboles aside, I don't think 3 WR on the field should automatically mean nickel or dime defense. The down and distance is just as important IMO.

If you can't cover 3 WR's with 4 DB's - then you should be selling insurance instead of coordinating an NFL defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Hyperboles aside, I don't think 3 WR on the field should automatically mean nickel or dime defense. The down and distance is just as important IMO.
    Sure, on 3rd and short you gear up to stop the run in that formation, but otherwise it is an advantage to the offense to have 3 WR and 1 TE vs 4 DB. The way a defense can make it work is if you have 1) a safety that can really cover a WR (Woodson, hopefully Hyde), 2) another safety that can really play center field (Collins yes, Burnett ?), and LB's who can handle the TE in one way or another. If you have the personnel to do it, great, otherwise nickel is your best bet.

Flip it around. If you were a DC going up against the Packers and they came out 3 WR, 1 TE and Lacy, what would you do? Would you seriously go with 4 DB?
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Add to those 4 DB's - a supposedly adept cover LB like Jones... and if it's a pass, both Jones and Hawk are going to drop - Jones, Hawk, and probably 1 of the OLB's.

You can't cover 3 WR's and 1 TE with 6 guys in coverage??

By dunderdummy's reckoning, and the brainwashed Packer masses - it would seem an absolute impossibility.

If it is an impossiblity to cover anyone out of base - then we should never run base - which we don't run much anyway... so why not just scrap it altogether?? Stopping the run isn't even a consideration for Dom, so why have any DL over 280 lbs at all??
    Of course there are situations (certain down and distance or even more likely field position-goal to go) that don't call automatically for nickel.

But using nickel to combat 3x1 in typical situations was a lesson finally learned in the NFL by the last hold out Broncos when the 49ers tore their simple 4-3 Cover 2 to shreds in the Super Bowl which yielded a 55 to Doesn't Matter final score. John Taylor said at the time, this offense (both the original Walsh and the Holmgren 3x1 variation) was designed to pull apart the kinds of coverages you get from a base D, especially a Cover 2.

You have 7 in coverage assuming no blitz and almost always one (if not two) is deep safety. That's 6 to cover 4; you can double 2 which leaves 2 in single coverage. And those single coverages can be manipulated to put a LB on a WR or TE at will. See the Packers opening game against the 49ers when Perry was in coverage on Michael Crabtree.

You can play base or you can blitz in your nickel, but if its a medium to short yardage situation, you are playing with fire since the offense is happy with a quick throw.

That's been my point all along.
    wist

This season, to me, depends upon two areas: injuries and the play of the defense. IF this team can stay healtrhy, and IF this new fangled defense actually improves, this team can do very well.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

2 reasons the defense will be better: Peppers and competent safety play.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

I am hopeful in both of those areas, DYoop.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    2 reasons the defense will be better: Peppers and competent safety play.
    Well those reasons are gone. Got any others?

Dix is a rookie and it shows. Worse yet he cannot tackle. Seattle exposed Dix, Peppers, Matthews, Jones, and Hawk as liabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCheez View Post
    Well those reasons are gone. Got any others?

Dix is a rookie and it shows. Worse yet he cannot tackle. Seattle exposed Dix, Peppers, Matthews, Jones, and Hawk as liabilities.
    They also showed our offense is pretty damn anemic too. It's gonna be fun season looking up from the bottom of the NFCN standings the rest of this year.

You guys (and gals) turn quickly in the wind, don't you? Last place in NFCN, fire MM, fire Capers, fire TT. What we learned from last night is that this team isn't going to go 16-0 and that the injury parade is a constant in GB. Fortunately we also know that injury parades and SB crowns are not necessarily incompatible, and that teams can get blown out in week 1 and still turn their seasons around.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    You guys (and gals) turn quickly in the wind, don't you? Last place in NFCN, fire MM, fire Capers, fire TT. What we learned from last night is that this team isn't going to go 16-0 and that the injury parade is a constant in GB. Fortunately we also know that injury parades and SB crowns are not necessarily incompatible, and that teams can get blown out in week 1 and still turn their seasons around.
    I hope so, cause lets face it, last night they were awful, just awful. The thing I cant get my head around is the packers have had poor tackling for many moons. Why would I believe they will turn it around after all the games, and all the new players, and the preseason, etc? Seattle just looked so goddamn much better in the fundamentals, it was really quite embarassing.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 18m
    Trepidation about how #Bears defense will perform? No question they've been keeping some stuff under wraps.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 6m
    So was GB. RT @BradBiggs: Trepidation about how #Bears D will perform? they've been keeping some stuff under wraps.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 3m
    @RobDemovsky So it sounds like you are saying there is a chance?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I don't think they have a defensive line to compete for championship, and the offensive line depth is not there. I would say they still can be a good, 10-6 team.

Hey! Waitaminit! This isn't Kool- Aid! What the fuck? This tastes like shit! Shit! It IS shit! What the fuck? Where's my mouthwash? Fuck! Where's my toothbrush? Goddamn!