Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Why This Is Going To Be A Great Season

For all of my pessimism, I had sincerely hoped that they would have learned some lessons from the past couple of years... and with MM supposedly sitting in on defensive meetings - they had to correct some things?? Right??

Well, the answer to that is an obvious no - they've learned nothing, and are determined to keep trying the same things that didn't work the last few years. It's mind-boggling.

Capers came out and emptied his little bag of tricks during the 1st quarter - he showed some 3-4 base, and showed at least some committment to stuffing the run and controlling the LOS. Then the 2nd quarter rolled around, and it was right back to that idiotic 2-4... the Seahawks were off and running after that.

Capers is like the scorpion that stings the frog - to his own demise. He simply cannot help himself - he sees the NFL as a passing league, and only a passing league, and figures the opponent is eventually going to abandon the run and pass, pass, pass. Even when going up against a run heavy team like the Seahawks, Capers cannot believe that they are not going to air it out 50 times.

If he gets gashed for one 12 yd run... well, surely the opponent will pass on the next down, right?? or the next down, right?? Well, 6 yds, 8 yds, 12 yds, 6 yds... eventually, the only thing that is going to stop an opponent from continuing to run it down our throats is the goal line - as the rules say that once a team crosses the goal line, they have to stop beating up their pitiful opponent.

207 rushing yds allowed - that about sums up Dom Capers committment to stopping the run. It's sickening to watch.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I don't think they have a defensive line to compete for championship, and the offensive line depth is not there. I would say they still can be a good, 10-6 team.
    You may be right, but how can you tell from one game? The '97 Packers were hemorrhaging yards on defense for the first half season and then someone figured out how to stop the run when December and January rolled around. Last night may have exposed a couple of fatal weaknesses left open by injuries to Raji and Bulaga. But it is also conceivable that Sherrod finds his legs (so to speak) after a couple of games, and that MM does what he should have done last night and activates Pennel, who turns out to be a revelation. In the NFL each year is different (except when it comes to the Packers and the injury epidemic), and the worm has a way of turning really quickly. A few years ago everyone had left the Giants smoldering by the side of road and suddenly they woke up and ran the table. If I had to bet, yeah, I would bet that the 2014 Packers will be done in by weaknesses on both lines (and injuries, don't forget the injuries), but as a fan I'm not ready to write them off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I don't think they have a defensive line to compete for championship, and the offensive line depth is not there. I would say they still can be a good, 10-6 team.
    You may be right about the defensive line. On the offensive side though, they've lost 3 of their top 6 guys. That would wipe out the depth of any team. If they can hang in until they get Bulaga, and eventually Tretter back, I think the offensive line situation is pretty decent.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    You may be right about the defensive line. On the offensive side though, they've lost 3 of their top 6 guys. That would wipe out the depth of any team. If they can hang in until they get Bulaga, and eventually Tretter back, I think the offensive line situation is pretty decent.
    They don't need Tretter except for depth, Linsley looks good. I'm assuming that Bulaga or some other starter will be out throughout the season, that seems par for the course.
    Somebody suggested replacing Sherrod with the tackle on practice squad, the guy with suspiciously foreign sounding name to go along with Bakhtiari. Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    You may be right, but how can you tell from one game? The '97 Packers were hemorrhaging yards on defense for the first half season and then someone figured out how to stop the run when December and January rolled around. Last night may have exposed a couple of fatal weaknesses left open by injuries to Raji and Bulaga. But it is also conceivable that Sherrod finds his legs (so to speak) after a couple of games
    What you say is reasonable except for the LOL about Sherrod being salvagable.