Thread: Why so much coverage on Michael Sam?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    They're unlistenable now... same thing with other sports talk shows. If I want to be lectured by some leftist nuts, I'll go back to college.
    It must be depressing when capitalism fails you. They are the highest rated national morning sports show in the country. Apparently, there are significant numbers of people who disagree with your assessment.

They also aren't all that left either. As was said above, they are interested in generating numbers and like Tebow, Sam moves the needle. Its ESPN doing what ESPN has been doing for years. They aren't the home of Mel Kiper, Dick Vitale and never-ending reruns of Jim Valvano for nothing. They are a money making machine.

This logic also explains Joe Buck and every color commentator on American TV.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Speaking of gay, why does Buck start his broadcasts with "I'm Joe and this is Troy"

Disturbing. I don't care what people do in their bedrooms, but keep it out of my face.

It must be depressing when capitalism fails you. They are the highest rated national morning sports show in the country. Apparently, there are significant numbers of people who disagree with your assessment.

They also aren't all that left either. As was said above, they are interested in generating numbers and like Tebow, Sam moves the needle. Its ESPN doing what ESPN has been doing for years. They aren't the home of Mel Kiper, Dick Vitale and never-ending reruns of Jim Valvano for nothing. They are a money making machine.

I understand Amerikans want to listen to that crap - I don't, so I tune out. For me, it is unlistenable... I tune into sport talk radio to listen to sports talk, not liberal proselytizing.

But it is everywhere, and you can't escape it... if you object, or find it offensive?? You are subjected to the entire battery of liberal abuse, i.e. you are a bigot, intollerant, etc. Liberals are bullies, and unfortunately they are now in power and in control all of our institutions. They are no different than previous incarnations of authoritarians.

I do agree with Dan though - this kind of topic belongs in FYI. It isn't about football, it is about a societal topic - Michael Sam is of interest to some (not me, but some) b/c he's gay... it has nothing to do with football.
    wist

I agree, they aren't all that leftist, they are opinionated on a variety of issues, which triggers emotions. Sam's triggers emotions, whether you want him to fail because you are sick of him getting special attention, or if you want him to succeed to begin an era where being gay is more mainstream, you have some interest in the story. He sells copy as they say, therefore the media blitz is on. Same went for Tebow (except I don't believe he was ever given the same fair shot Sam's will be given). Same went for the early black QB's. Warren Moon, Doug Williams and all. And when a Black QB went top 5 in the draft the blitz was really on.

Many of us (I consider myself in this camp, and sounds like chann as well) don't give a shit if a player is green, black, gay or whatever. Can he play. I'll be happy when the 2nd and 3rd gay player comes out because the hub bub will die off.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.