Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so much coverage on Michael Sam?

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar

Why so much coverage on Michael Sam?

Maybe this topic doesn't belong in the Packers forum and if that is the case, please move it to the correct forum. But I have to ask, why does ESPN and every other sports station have so much coverage of Michael Sam and whether he makes the team or not? You don't see these kinds of segments for every (or even ANY) other rookie hoping to make the team.

If homosexual people want to be treated the same as others then why do we treat them so differently? As it stands, Sam may just make the St. Louis Rams team just because he is gay. The Rams could never cut the guy even if he sucked because the backlash would be so great. Which is really the main point of this topic... if being gay isn't a big deal, than why do we make it such a big deal?

It's a story because he is the first openly gay NFL player. Being gay isn't a big deal, but being a gay player is.

I think if you look at newspapers back in the 1940s, Jackie Robinson was a huge story during his rookie year.

When Aaron Rodgers comes out as the second gay player, the coverage will die-out quicker. Well maybe not A-ROD, but some other player won't be too big of a deal.

Jackie Robinson won an MVP award in his career and deserved it. Sam is a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Jackie Robinson won an MVP award in his career and deserved it. Sam is a little different.
    It's not a question of deserving the coverage. Jackie Robinson and Michael Sam would get a lot of coverage even if they stunk as players. Their presence was new and controversial.

Leftists fancy themselves "enlightened", and since they control our society now, they delight in rubbing everyones face in the perversions they celebrate - and if you don't like it?? you are a bigot; if you don't celebrate it?? you are "intolerant" and in need of "reeducation"...

Ever listen to Mike and Mike in the Morning?? ESPN radio's Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg... their entire show has nothing whatsoever to do with sports anymore, it is nonstop celebration of political correctness in sports. All they talk about is Sam, the Ray Rice incident, the horrors of marijuana, etc. The entire show is an exercise in self congratulation of how enlightened they are, and anyone who disagrees is the equivalent of a Jew in Nazi Germany.

They're unlistenable now... same thing with other sports talk shows. If I want to be lectured by some leftist nuts, I'll go back to college.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    Maybe this topic doesn't belong in the Packers forum and if that is the case, please move it to the correct forum. But I have to ask, why does ESPN and every other sports station have so much coverage of Michael Sam and whether he makes the team or not? You don't see these kinds of segments for every (or even ANY) other rookie hoping to make the team.

If homosexual people want to be treated the same as others then why do we treat them so differently? As it stands, Sam may just make the St. Louis Rams team just because he is gay. The Rams could never cut the guy even if he sucked because the backlash would be so great. Which is really the main point of this topic... if being gay isn't a big deal, than why do we make it such a big deal?
    Because people are fucking stupid. See Harlan's post.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-53-man-roster

Why Michael Sam Has Earned His Place on the Rams' 53-Man Roster

By: Tyson Langland , NFC West Lead Writer Aug 28, 2014

Over the course of the last three preseason games, Sam has tallied some impressive numbers. Since the start of the 2014 preseason, the left defensive end has amassed 11 total tackles, three quarterback sacks and two quarterback hits.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Just imagine what would happen if he sacked Johnny Manziel... ESPN is probably already built an 8 hour tribute montage ready to go instead of their normal programming. Twitter would fail whale for a week.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

Ever listen to Mike and Mike in the Morning?? ESPN radio's Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg... their entire show has nothing whatsoever to do with sports anymore, it is nonstop celebration of political correctness in sports. All they talk about is Sam, the Ray Rice incident, the horrors of marijuana, etc. The entire show is an exercise in self congratulation of how enlightened they are, and anyone who disagrees is the equivalent of a Jew in Nazi Germany.

They're unlistenable now...
    ++1

Why create a thread about Michael Sam in a Packers forum?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Just imagine what would happen if he sacked Johnny Manziel... ESPN is probably already built an 8 hour tribute montage ready to go instead of their normal programming. Twitter would fail whale for a week.
    This happened already. Twice in one game, actually. And Sam taunted JFBM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Jumbo Rat HOFer

Yes, because the government is going to round you up and kill you in gas chambers.

Keep this shit in FYI.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Yes, because the government is going to round you up and kill you in gas chambers.

Keep this shit in FYI.
    You've been living in Madison too long Dan... you lefty nuts actually believe your own bullshit.
    wist

Wist, I don't get the Jew in Nazi Germany bit. Don't you mean "anyone who disagrees is a Nazi"? Or am I being obtuse? (A real possibility).

At any rate, this thread is going downhill fast.

Wist cannot separate himself from himself.

The answer to the original question comes down to a storyline which generates interest and therefore clicks and viewership which generate revenue.

The NFL is a soap opera for men. Think about all the time spent discussing and deconstructing the Ingognito flap lat year. How much money was made by espn and NFLN telling and rebelling that story. And the consumers ate it up.

The NFL wants these story lines, it's good business. We want these story lines, generally, it's entertainment.

Personally, though, I don't care who Sam likes to be intimate with and I watch none of such coverage. I do want Manziel to succeed because I want a good villain to root against. It's entertainment.

I agree to a point. PC is not about freedom of thought, it's about conformity.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    We survived.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Incredible! I must have been in the right place at the right time not to know that!
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

They're unlistenable now... same thing with other sports talk shows. If I want to be lectured by some leftist nuts, I'll go back to college.
    It must be depressing when capitalism fails you. They are the highest rated national morning sports show in the country. Apparently, there are significant numbers of people who disagree with your assessment.

They also aren't all that left either. As was said above, they are interested in generating numbers and like Tebow, Sam moves the needle. Its ESPN doing what ESPN has been doing for years. They aren't the home of Mel Kiper, Dick Vitale and never-ending reruns of Jim Valvano for nothing. They are a money making machine.

This logic also explains Joe Buck and every color commentator on American TV.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.