Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Montgomery headed to Packers' staff for TBD (Defensive?) Role

Jerry Montgomery headed to Packers' staff for TBD (Defensive?) Role

Looks like Green Bay's defensive staff might be picking up at least one new coach.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-...rticle/5392369

Montgomery, who has coached Sooner defensive linemen the last two seasons, has accepted an NFL position, the school announced in a Tuesday afternoon news release.

Multiple sources confirmed to The Oklahoman that Montgomery has accepted a position on the Green Bay Packers’ staff.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Yep, this one was for red who M3 clearly saw was disappointed by the lack of staff changes on D.

One of the GBPG guys says there is no indication that any current staff are leaving.

He is from the Big 12, home of McCarthy buddy Kevin Sumlin. He would be very familiar with spread concepts that flourish inside the Big 12 on offense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
    Montgomery isn't replacing anybody on #Packers staff. Likely to be asst. DL coach. There's 2 coaches now with LBs and DBs.

Who is the second LB coach?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
    Montgomery isn't replacing anybody on #Packers staff. Likely to be asst. DL coach. There's 2 coaches now with LBs and DBs.

Who is the second LB coach?
    Didn't the D quality coach join Winston Moss after K Greene left?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Blog Entries
    Aren't we still short an OLB type coach.

That said, Moss seemed to work a little magic moving CMIII around.

clearly m3 thinks we can fix the coaching problem by just adding more coaches to the mix
    Last edited by red; 02-10-2015 at 11:12 PM. Reason: because i fucking wanted to

Packers interviewed Badger DC Aranda before signing Montgomery. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...291566391.html Just wondering how the die-hard Badger fans would have felt if the Packers hired him away from the Badgers.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 02-11-2015 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Because Red edited his thread, so why can't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers interviewed Badger DC Aranda before signing Montgomery. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...291566391.html Just wondering how the die-hard Badger fans would have felt if the Packers hired him away from the Badgers.
    Sad. He's done great work in two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Aren't we still short an OLB type coach.

That said, Moss seemed to work a little magic moving CMIII around.
    Smidgeon nailed this one, this guy got promoted last offseason after KG left.

Scott McCurley - Assistant Linebackers

I am guessing they are doing a serious restructuring. Ted was involved in Aranda's interview according to Bob. Aranda seems WAY over-qualified to be a general assistant, and same can probably be said of Montgomery. I can't imagine Ted being involved in the hiring of a position Bob is describing as one step about Quality Control, which is entry level. Neither has coached in the NFL though.

Bob says the job interview came without a job description though, which is not usually a good thing.

A source told the Journal Sentinel that Aranda met with coach Mike McCarthy, defensive coordinator Dom Capers and general manager Ted Thompson, among others, during his daylong interview on Friday.

... snip ...

The Packers interviewed candidates last week without a defined job description, according to a source. The most logical position would be as an assistant coach on the defensive front seven or general defensive assistant.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...291566391.html

The thing this set of facts tells me is that the Packers LIKE the Capers style of Defense - scheming, trickery, etc. often compensating for inadquate personnel - as Aranda basically does the same for the Badgers. I don't know anything about Montgomery's way of doing things, but we can probably assume he has the same philosophy. My guess is the new guy will be groomed to take Capers' place in a few years when he retires. I heartily approve of this, although I, as a Badger fan, would have been very disappointed if we lost Aranda. Best case: Aranda told Ted he should DRAFT MELVIN GORDON.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The thing this set of facts tells me is that the Packers LIKE the Capers style of Defense - scheming, trickery, etc. often compensating for inadquate personnel - as Aranda basically does the same for the Badgers. I don't know anything about Montgomery's way of doing things, but we can probably assume he has the same philosophy. My guess is the new guy will be groomed to take Capers' place in a few years when he retires. I heartily approve of this, although I, as a Badger fan, would have been very disappointed if we lost Aranda. Best case: Aranda told Ted he should DRAFT MELVIN GORDON.
    Or that they both come from backgrounds that run a 3-4 defense.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    My guess is the new guy will be groomed to take Capers' place in a few years when he retires.
    That was my first impression. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Capers has told MM he will retire in a year or three; and that MM is looking to build in a ready replacement who knows the players and is versed in the current scheme so any transition is smooth.
    Last edited by Patler; 02-12-2015 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    That was my first impression. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Capers has told MM he will retire in a year or three; and that MM is looking to build in a ready replacement who knows the players and is versed in the current scheme so any transition is smooth.
    No one on the current staff can do that? Or is the Montgomery hiring is more of a "hire the next bottom rung and then promote everyone up a step" sort of thing?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    No one on the current staff can do that? Or is the Montgomery hiring is more of a "hire the next bottom rung and then promote everyone up a step" sort of thing?
    It is a little weird, but the only guy on staff who is cut his teeth in Capers D is Perry. Thompson's involvement seems to mean something is going on more than usual.

Other than possibly forcing M3's hand on D coaches after 2008, he doesn't meddle too much.

Answers today at 12 Noon.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h1 hour ago
    #Packers HC Mike McCarthy will hold a press conference today at 12 p.m. CT. Watch it live on http://packers.com .

Defensive Front Assistant:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...uring-shakeup/

What does that mean? Makes it sound like Patler and tpb may be onto something.

EDIT:

Money quote: "Jerry Montgomery will primarily be working hand-in-hand with Dom Capers."

and:

"He's someone we've been looking at for a couple of years. These are types of decisions and things we're looking at long term."
    Last edited by Smidgeon; 02-12-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Low Profile Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    If they're looking for a smooth transition, I hope the new guy has bad hair so as not to upset Wist's applecart too much.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Jerry Montgomery:

DunderDummy reboot; the mask hides the spraypainthair. And the fact that DD is blind did not escape my notice.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by LP View Post
    If they're looking for a smooth transition, I hope the new guy has bad hair so as not to upset Wist's applecart too much.

He probably negotiated a spray hair provision in his contract:

Or he get's Stubby's old sharpie
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck