Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: DO...The Chicago Bears have the pieces to be Super Bowl winner?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    When you trade a guy to another team, you're on the cap hook for his remaining signing bonuses and any other bonuses already earned, but not his upcoming salary and bonuses going forward. If no team wants to bite on Cutler's guaranteed salary, da Bears can convert some of it to a bonus, pay Jay now, and take the cap hit for it, but at least move some of his future salary off their books and cap. It's like selling last year's model at a loss just to get it off your lot.

Actually, it's a lot like that.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Jay Cutler is going to start for the Bears in Week 17.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...-chicago-bears

Cutler To Start, Clausen Concussed

LAKE FOREST, Ill. --
    " Bears quarterback Jay Cutler will start Chicago's season finale against the Vikings after Jimmy Clausen experienced delayed symptoms of a concussion Sunday evening and will not play this weekend, the team announced on Monday.

Clausen was ruled out after an examination on Monday morning."
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I'll repeat, because I have found this site to be very accurate. According to the "Spotrac" breakdown:

- Total guarantee as of March 2014 was $38M.
    - An additional $10M guarantees in 3/2015.
    - If they dump him before March, they are still on the hook next year for a $19.5M cap hit after a cap charge this year of $18.5M.

Assuming they cut him before the next guarantee and assuming the offset provision applies, it appears their cap hit = $19.5 - (2015 salary from whoever he signs with)

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I'll repeat, because I have found this site to be very accurate. According to the "Spotrac" breakdown:

- Total guarantee as of March 2014 was $38M.
    - An additional $10M guarantees in 3/2015.
    - If they dump him before March, they are still on the hook next year for a $19.5M cap hit after a cap charge this year of $18.5M.

Assuming they cut him before the next guarantee and assuming the offset provision applies, it appears their cap hit = $19.5 - (2015 salary from whoever he signs with)
    Contract has offset language? That surprises me, wouldn't think a negotiator would dare try to put that language into a starting qb's 3rd contract!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Contract has offset language? That surprises me, wouldn't think a negotiator would dare try to put that language into a starting qb's 3rd contract!
    Does seem a bit strange, but a number of reporters have mentioned it being in Cutler's contract. I suppose you could sell it as being needed in case the team ends up with a Brett Favre-like situation in the last few years of the contract. A young QB ready to take over and an ancient vet still under contract wanting to wring a few more years out of his career. It's an incentive for the team to release him and let him look for a home elsewhere, even with a team unwilling or unable to assume his remaining contract via a trade.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    1) TN considering trading for Cutler. Yes, and I'm interested in paying to contract pancreatic cancer
    2) Jay Cutler as 'Waterboy?' I'd take the water boy over Cutler in a second. "Mama says...."
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
    The #Bears have fired GM Phil Emery, source says.

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer 4m4 minutes ago
    Marc Trestman was just fired as well

Steve Palazzolo ‏@PFF_Steve 8m8 minutes ago
    @mikefreemanNFL The Bears drafting only 22 players with an allotted 28 draft picks between 2010 and 2013 also led to today.
    Last edited by denverYooper; 12-29-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

A lot would depend on how they lost those 6 draft picks. Trades or trading up? Who did they get?

Not surprised Jay Cutler has brought another franchise low, just astonished they signed him AGAIN to do it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    A lot would depend on how they lost those 6 draft picks. Trades or trading up? Who did they get?

Not surprised Jay Cutler has brought another franchise low, just astonished they signed him AGAIN to do it.
    They looked great with Josh McCown last year. He worked the chemistry very well with the Bear WR's. Mccown managed it well as well utilizing /working with their solid RB Matt Forte.

So why didn't it work for Marc Trestman and Jay Cutler?

I believe it has a lot to do with Jay Cutlers attitude.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    So why didn't it work for Marc Trestman and Jay Cutler?

I believe it has a lot to do with Jay Cutlers attitude.
    Wow, interesting theory. Anyone else ever hear of attitude problems with Jay? This seems scandalous. Certainly not Jay Cutler!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck