Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Safety - is it fixed?

Anyone know how Calvin Prior has looked in camp/preseason?

Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Looks like he is the one bright spot in a bad secondary. http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...dary-1.9079000
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I think safety is a tough position to evaluate because they are usually the last line of defense and covering for a breakdown elsewhere. Also, unless you have all-22 access you might not be able to see where they are lined up.
    That said, Burnett has missed a lot of tackles and I sometimes got the impression that he was playing hesitant. Having someone like Hyde or HHCD should be an upgrade to Jennings/McMillian and I think it will be reflected this year. Getting an improved pass rush will make a big difference too.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    You are all mixed up. Ward was the "big name" THIS offseason. He hasn't played a meaningful game for Denver yet, so we have no idea if he's a long-term solution for Denver. I personally think he's overrated. Decent player on a bad team. I think he'll get exposed in coverage.

EDIT: I see somebody else has already called you out on this BS.
    I thought folks were drooling over Byrd?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I think it's going to take some time to be truly "fixed", but APRH this unit sure looks the part. Very pleased at what's back there now. Been a while since we've been able to say that.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Joe's link is about right.

I saw a Jets game where he came up and filled like crazy. He is a banger.

Going into the draft, I wanted HaHa. Prior does get burned bc of his aggression, but man, he can hit.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Joe's link is about right.

I saw a Jets game where he came up and filled like crazy. He is a banger.

Going into the draft, I wanted HaHa. Prior does get burned bc of his aggression, but man, he can hit.
    How do you feel about HaHa so far?

He's not blowing guys up but he looks like he can really knife in there to make the tackle. To me he looks accurate? smooth? certain? I'm not sure how to describe it, but it looks like he belongs in there.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I thought folks were drooling over Byrd?
    Everybody knew TT wouldn't pay top price for Byrd. Ward was the cheaper alternative that people wanted.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post

He's not blowing guys up but he looks like he can really knife in there to make the tackle. To me he looks accurate? smooth? certain? I'm not sure how to describe it, but it looks like he belongs in there.
    He looks like a player. I was hoping he would be a standout type, but yeah he seems like he'll contribute for us. Prior has made some splashes, but both guys could be career safeties.

I hope we don't see a lot of him on Thursday, that'd mean Hyde went and hid.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post

I know what you're saying there... just really smooth and the game seems pretty slow for him. He's not knocking guys out, but I'll be shocked whenever he misses his next tackle. Just looks very sure of himself and steady.

I don't see this guy as an 8 INT kind of guy, but 4 seems reasonable with tons of tackles and a couple FF. Rarely out of position and always bringing guys down. Eventual leader of the secondary. Very long frame-- LOOKS the part.. wait til he adds 10 lbs of NFL big boy muscle to that! What he does with the ball in the air is still in question, but I think he'll be pretty good there too.