Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

I thought the Okie was the giant guys, three of them, on the line. Does GB even have three giant guys any more?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I thought the Okie was the giant guys, three of them, on the line. Does GB even have three giant guys any more?
    Guion is big enough to be a NT but it doesn't seem to be his best position. Jones is a 3-4 end. They still run it; Daniels is the odd fit.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Dom's unit comes though again with a dominating outing against the Panthers. I'm starting to come back around to him as the defense has been stellar.

In the last 23 quarters (since the 2nd quarter of the Jets game) the defense has given up 88 prs, that's 15.3/game.

Either way you slice it, that's good defense overy the last 6 games. That's not a mirage.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Dom's unit comes though again with a dominating outing against the Panthers. I'm starting to come back around to him as the defense has been stellar.

In the last 23 quarters (since the 2nd quarter of the Jets game) the defense has given up 88 prs, that's 15.3/game.

Either way you slice it, that's good defense overy the last 6 games. That's not a mirage.
    Their secondary is as good as there is in the NFL. When the defense does a good job against the run, they can be dominant. They've sometimes been able, even when they don't stop the run, to keep the points down. However, in those cases, not being able to get off the field has kept the Packers offense off the field. The best thing is that this defense is getting better as the season goes on.

Some of the young talent picked in the last few years is starting to pay off. Nick Perry is starting to look like a decent player. We have considerable depth in the secondary. If Clay can ever get back to 100%, this defense is plenty stout considering our offense...which is only going to get better as it gets colder because Lacy is going to be more effective in the elements, and I think the coaches are finally realizing they need to give Starks the ball too. That will keep both of them fresh into December.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I am still concerned with the lack of stoutness on the defensive line. What will happen when a team with a good offensive line decides to run the ball through the middle? How will NASCAR help then?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I read it was used just 5 times, all in obvious passing situations on 3rd down. Carolina was 1 for 5 converting.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Don't look now but the defense is T10 in PPG allowed
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

NASCAR was for running QBs, not designated run plays at run down and distance.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I'm encouraged by the improvement shown. Should they make the playoffs, which is currently looking very promising, I don't think the bend but don't break stuff is going to cut it. I will be highly encouraged about this team's chances this year if they can consistently stop the run, which will mean more favorable down and distance to allow them to bring pressure more successfully. If Dallas can fix their defense in one year, so can the Packers.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I am still concerned with the lack of stoutness on the defensive line. What will happen when a team with a good offensive line decides to run the ball through the middle? How will NASCAR help then?
    Those teams are going to get more Pyrrhic victories than actual victories. That's bringing a knife to a gun fight.

But even in those cases good safety play has made it viable to play 8 in the box when its called for. In the most obvious of the obvious of run situations, 3rd or 4th and very short, I think the defense has been a pleasant surprise. Seems like most of those have gone our way.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

And they gave up ~21 points in garbage time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The defense has been even better than their ranking. They've played an entire game of garbage time at this point.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Blog Entries

Wist will be here anytime to sing the praises of Dom
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Packers defense is on pace to give up just 41 passing plays of 20+ yards and 2 passing plays of 40+ yards. Last year was 61 and 8. 2011 was 71 and 10. 2010 was 44 and 8.

An improved pass rush is a factor, but I think it's mostly improved safety play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Wist will be here anytime to sing the praises of Dom
    wist would like NASCAR on passing downs. He still probably not in favor of nickel even if run D has had an uptick.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers defense is on pace to give up just 41 passing plays of 20+ yards and 2 passing plays of 40+ yards. Last year was 61 and 8. 2011 was 71 and 10. 2010 was 44 and 8.

An improved pass rush is a factor, but I think it's mostly improved safety play.
    Burnett is a different player this year. How many times did we see him in some discussion with another DB last year after giving up a big play?

I think there is something to the theory that he was trying to do too much last year/didn't trust the help/was flat out scared by his partner.

Isn't this Burnie's 4th season? That was about when the light went on for Collins. If only Burnett could play the ball like Nickie the Pick.... but he's a better tackler, which is a decent consolation...

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Isn't this Burnie's 4th season? That was about when the light went on for Collins. If only Burnett could play the ball like Nickie the Pick.... but he's a better tackler, which is a decent consolation...
    It's his 5th season. IR'd his rookie year, but played well (and played all 16 games) in years 2 and 3. Got a nice new contract. Year 4 (last year) was bad and some thought he was the second coming of Cletius Hunt
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...