Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I've seen that argument but I think that's the wrong way to look at it. Jordy was getting his yards no matter what, their boundary corners are just not good enough to stop him. The guy who had the most to gain from the Jets sitting in base was Cobb and he only gained 39 yards while being mostly covered by linebackers and safeties. Also our tight ends did nothing. They shut down a lot more than just Lacy.
    Single high safety helped his touchdown.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packers will be seeing more of a "regular" offense in the next three or four games. things should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    Packers will be seeing more of a "regular" offense in the next three or four games. things should be better.
    With the exception of Carolina October 19, Packers may be done facing option QB's. Not sure about Bridgewater if he becomes the Vikings starter.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    With the exception of Carolina October 19, Packers may be done facing option QB's.
    i'll be at that game. hopefully by then we'll be hitting on all cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Never, ever say that again!!!

For SHAME!!!
    Broken clock, blind squirrel, Dom Capers.

C.H.U.D.

Nice find, Freak. I've always liked his hustle and he's saying the right things.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Nice find, Freak. I've always liked his hustle and he's saying the right things.
    That makes me think that part of the defensive design for this year was to feature Daniels's strengths.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    That makes me think that part of the defensive design for this year was to feature Daniels's strengths.
    This is a big game for the whole defensive line. I am hoping Capers uses his linemen to create penetration. That could lead to some big runs on draws and big gains on screens, but may also lead to losses on runs and perhaps to turnovers on Matt Statford.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I like those kinds of video features...the game wasn't on here, and of course all the highlight reels just show Rodgers/Nelson so you miss a lot of good stuff.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    I like those kinds of video features...the game wasn't on here, and of course all the highlight reels just show Rodgers/Nelson so you miss a lot of good stuff.
    Some good highlights of his work there. He really excels at shedding blocks, on the 2nd play they show he lines up on the inside shoulder of the guard, pushes him back, then released to the guards outside shoulder to make the tackle! He did something similar later, lining up directly over the guard, going outside then changing direction, leaving the guard blocking air while he went around his inside shoulder and hit Geno.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

If we're complaining about the 2-5 that gets thrown out there on occasion, imagine if Rob Ryan was the Pack's co-ordinator!

Yup, that's the vaunted 0-5-6 look, rushing 6!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    If we're complaining about the 2-5 that gets thrown out there on occasion, imagine if Rob Ryan was the Pack's co-ordinator!

Yup, that's the vaunted 0-5-6 look, rushing 6!

Wist is already teetering on the verge of major heart failure; if the Packers employed that look he'd have the big one and be gone. Don't let Capers unveil that look!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    In the words of Lombardi, "what the hell is going on out there?" The defense, save for a couple of turnovers was as bad as the offense was good today. It reminded me of 2011 all over again. Lots of yards, big plays, some turnovers created, bend, but don't break. The best defense is the offense getting a big lead, not being able to run the ball effectively...you know the story.

Calling all Packerrats who understand schemes and formations. What are you seeing from a scheme/personnel standpoint that is allowing the Packers defense to get gashed? What could/should Capers be doing to get this fixed? This is embarrassing. If the Packers can't stop the run, and give up almost a first down on every opposing offensive snap, how can they ever hope to get pressure? There's no obvious passing down on second/third and manageable, and if the Packers are getting gashed in the run game, why would the opposing offense ever let up?

Again, I get that they won today and that makes me happy, but if this goes the way of 2011's defense, if/when we get to the post season, it will be the same story. The Packers will face a superior defense that will find a way to take away what the offense wants to do, and then the defense not having a big lead to hold onto will be exposed again. Rather than just bitching about what Capers is not doing, it would and interesting discussion to hear from some of you scheme gurus to see what the Packers could do to fix the defense to fix what ails them.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The middle two guys in nickel (Daniels and Jones) for pass rush or for run D (Boyd and one of Guion/Daniels) are playing terrible. The Bears game was significant because even Daniels wasn't up to his normal level.

Add to that the ends and SAM linebacker taking terrible angles and abandoning gaps. Peppers has been the best at this, but Matthews, Lattimore, Neal, Jones and the safeties has been really loose in gap discipline. Outside of Peppers, the only guy steady on the end has been Perry which is why you keep seeing him in the second half when there is a lead. I have no idea why Burnett is close to the LOS and Ha Ha is deep.

Remember the jumbo formation the Packers would line up to guard against Peterson in 2012 (Raji, Pickett and Wilson)? It was terrible against him for two games and it wasn't for lack of size. Everyone was playing their own gap and nothing else. Some were penetrating, others were waiting. No one stayed in their gap and got off the block. Raji was in the backfield but whiffing. Despite talent and size, it was terrible run defense.

Same thing here. Someone is ALWAYS out of position and those interior D lineman are not helping, they are getting moved which gives the back space and time. Matthews is still getting used to being in the middle. He loves to react quickly and chase, but in the middle that is recipe for disaster.

Part of this is talent, the interior guys are not dominating players. But a lot of it is getting used to the scheme and knowing where their teammates are going to be. When to freelance and when to sit in a gap. It also doesn't help that the only guy in the backend who knows how to tackle is Ha-Ha.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Wist is already teetering on the verge of major heart failure; if the Packers employed that look he'd have the big one and be gone. Don't let Capers unveil that look!
    That's more of an amoeba look... don't know what Ryan's problems are - one thing I know for sure, Dom Capers can't care Rob Ryan's jock.

Capers couldn't care less about the middle of the field, and he's proven that for several years running. Whether it is stopping the run up the middle, or making receivers pay over the middle - Capers simply doesn't think that is real estate worth contesting.

The Bears smashed us over and over again up the middle and over the middle... that's all on Capers. He simply doesn't belong in the league anymore - hopefully TT will get that figured out by years end.

We win a game b/c of our offense, and suddenly you guys think we have a defense?? lol... More good news - we get to play the anemic Vikings on Thursday... On our way to the SB again are we?? You guys are such bandwagon jumpers - both on and off
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The middle two guys in nickel (Daniels and Jones) for pass rush or for run D (Boyd and one of Guion/Daniels) are playing terrible. The Bears game was significant because even Daniels wasn't up to his normal level.

Add to that the ends and SAM linebacker taking terrible angles and abandoning gaps. Peppers has been the best at this, but Matthews, Lattimore, Neal, Jones and the safeties has been really loose in gap discipline. Outside of Peppers, the only guy steady on the end has been Perry which is why you keep seeing him in the second half when there is a lead. I have no idea why Burnett is close to the LOS and Ha Ha is deep.

Remember the jumbo formation the Packers would line up to guard against Peterson in 2012 (Raji, Pickett and Wilson)? It was terrible against him for two games and it wasn't for lack of size. Everyone was playing their own gap and nothing else. Some were penetrating, others were waiting. No one stayed in their gap and got off the block. Raji was in the backfield but whiffing. Despite talent and size, it was terrible run defense.

Same thing here. Someone is ALWAYS out of position and those interior D lineman are not helping, they are getting moved which gives the back space and time. Matthews is still getting used to being in the middle. He loves to react quickly and chase, but in the middle that is recipe for disaster.

Part of this is talent, the interior guys are not dominating players. But a lot of it is getting used to the scheme and knowing where their teammates are going to be. When to freelance and when to sit in a gap. It also doesn't help that the only guy in the backend who knows how to tackle is Ha-Ha.
    So gap discipline is critical to them being able to improve run defense. And, as you alluded to, I saw a lot of guys who were well blocked by Bears o-line, and not many consistently winning their one on one battle in their gap. When is the last time you remember the defense consistently swarming to the ball? Scheme may be important, but so is the ability to whip the guy in front of you. Is anyone seeing much of that?

If you are a Capers hater or not; fine, get someone else in here. I only care about the success of the Packers, not whether he is the DC. But tell me how another DC will take the same guys who can't win a one on one battle consistently, can't take good angles to the play consistently, can't wrap up and tackle consistently, can't diagnose plays pre-snap consistently and turn them into a capable defense? Is it really all about the wrong scheme? I do agree with MM that scheme is not a crutch. The ultimate success or failure is Capers fault, but it's always the players who have to execute what is called. Is it too simplistic to ask, "hey, whatever adjustments you made in the Jets game when you were getting gashed, where were those adjustments today in the Bears game?"
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Part of the problem of gap control and tackling is that players are often out of position or coming from well away from the play to make a play. So they do swarm, but it leaves gaps as it happens. And, as you noted, not many are winning individual battlers (Daniels previously being a big exception), no one is clean to make a play. So everyone is one arming their gap.

So swarming to the ball while one arming the tacking leaves a lot of broken tackles and lots of space to operate. The Capers Packers D has always been aggressive to the ball to the point of hurting itself (minus the 2009 season in run D). They need to slow down, play the gap and put a body on the ball carrier. Once they master that, then you can try for strips, big hits or penetrating deep into the backfield.

Right now its not sound technique.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    That's more of an amoeba look... don't know what Ryan's problems are - one thing I know for sure, Dom Capers can't care Rob Ryan's jock.

Capers couldn't care less about the middle of the field, and he's proven that for several years running. Whether it is stopping the run up the middle, or making receivers pay over the middle - Capers simply doesn't think that is real estate worth contesting. There is definitely an undeniable lack of execution/adjustments, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to stop the run. What did he do in the Jets game that finally slowed them down? We all agree that we don't like what we are seeing, but Capers doesn't want to stop the run. Don't buy that.

The Bears smashed us over and over again up the middle and over the middle... that's all on Capers. He simply doesn't belong in the league anymore - hopefully TT will get that figured out by years end. There's no denying what we all saw with our own eyes, over and over. Again, I assert, is this just schematic? Could another DC take the same set of guys and mold them into a competitive defense? Not saying keep Capers...I'm saying we might need more help. I believe talent can overcome scheme because good football players have talent that shows out

We win a game b/c of our offense, and suddenly you guys think we have a defense?? lol... More good news - we get to play the anemic Vikings on Thursday... On our way to the SB again are we?? You guys are such bandwagon jumpers - both on and off You chastise, but do you seriously think there are people on this forum who would defend that effort on run defense? I'm glad the offense got up big and had a cushion, but that is nothing to rely on if you are the defense. We don't like it either, Wist.
    Capers most likely won't be fired in-season; that doesn't seem like their style, and they'd have to have a plan for succession, They'll just have to make whatever adjustments they can, and make the best of this season. I hope they get it together.

If this keeps up...which unfortunately it probably will...Capers need to be shown the door. There is talent on the defensive side of the ball but its not setup to succeed. Which could very well cost this team another shot at the SB this year.
    C.H.U.D.