Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...274057691.html

Tom Silverstein article... he makes note of the fact that Raji being available wouldn't have made any difference b/c Capers gameplan was what it always is - line up in nickel, and blow a kiss to the RB as he blows past our undermanned front.

"It probably would not have mattered if the Packers had B.J. Raji, out for the year with a torn biceps, because the plan coordinator Dom Capers played rarely used the base 3-4 defense. Instead, the Packers played a hybrid nickel scheme where they kept just two defensive linemen in the game."

I was listening to Silverstein on the PRN pregame, and they were talking about only having 4 DL active. He said he thought Capers was going to play a lot of 2-4 nickel, and therefore they didn't need the defensive linemen. I commented in another thread, that if that was the case, we were toast before the coin flip - which proved to be the case.

We gave up 207 yds rushing, for a 5.6 yd average.

More of the same, more of the same... it's gonna be a very, very long year watching this defense.

I figured we'd lose this game, but what I wanted to see was a makeover on defense - the last thing I wanted to see was more 2-4, and then after that, still more 2-4. What we got?? Lots and lots of 2-4.

It's only 1 game - but the die is cast, a leopard doesn't change his spots - we are in for an entire season of getting completely gashed on the ground, and nothing will be done to fix it. Dom Capers cares nothing whatsoever about stopping the run.

If he devises a gameplan for a run heavy team like the Seahawks, a team that has very few passing game weapons... if he devises a gameplan for a team like that, that calls for nickel, nickel, and more nickel - then there is no hope whatsoever that he will do anything different against anyone else.

The '14 season is already a no-hoper b/c of Dom Capers.
    wist

You're right... Capers and also the fact that the offense looks significantly worse. Lacy didn't look like an nfl back yesterday. He looked fat and slow
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Oh and for all the people who think Cobb is going to cost 7 million plus forget it. Guy gets no separation at all.

But to stay on topic, yeah I watching the game with my brother and we were dumb founded why we invited then to run as if that was there weakness. We have zero quality dline man based off yesterday's performance

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
    You're right... Capers and also the fact that the offense looks significantly worse. Lacy didn't look like an nfl back yesterday. He looked fat and slow
    Seriously? What space did he have? Seattle run blitzes every single play and blew everything up. He was hit behind the line almost every play!!!!

Plus there was the whole "amoeba" alignment.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    If they could tackle that would be nice...
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Seriously? What space did he have? Seattle run blitzes every single play and blew everything up. He was hit behind the line almost every play!!!!
    Compared to the speed that the Hawks d plays with, he looked like he was moving in quick sand. And correction he IS fat AND looks fat. Put Lynch and Lacy side by side and you'll see what I'm talking about. Not saying he's not a good back, but he needs to get wiped into shape. Same body as last year. Guy needs a nutritionist

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Why isn't anyone blaming the offense? Shit was terrible.

The thing that really bugs me and I can't get over is we've seen this movie before. We've seen Jones exposed and to a lesser degree Hawk. Still, we're going on year 3 here where these two are still the ILB's. Why would anyone think they, and by extension the defense as a whole, be effective? Wake the fuck up TT, MM, and Capers. Glaring fuck up going in to another year with these two as your starters.

As the Fonz said to Ritchie, Ralph, & Potsie when they tried to be pick up girls on a camping trip by pretending they were Tunisian camel jocky's "that's the plan you guys came up with?!?!?!?" Woahhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    They have an elite defense - I think everyone expected that this would be a tough night for the offense.

The defense on the other hand - it's not like Seattle is the class of the league. They are good, but if you stop their running game and make them 1 dimensional, make Wilson beat you... they really don't have that many passing game weapons.

So there is a reason the offense struggled - the only reason the defense struggled, well maybe not the only reason, but the biggest reason the defense struggled (struggles) is b/c of dunderdummy and his mind-numbingly idiotic 2-4.

Nothing has changed from last year - our season is already over b/c of it. Capers is going to run that 2-4 all the way to another 25-32 finish in defense. No way can we compete with the elite teams in this league with a defensive coordinator who refuses to adjust and make the necessary changes.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Fat Mikes play calling, I.e.: not feeding Lacy the ball after the first possession and Rodgers multiple bad plays: run for the first down and don't throw across your body like your brain dead predecessor. It was really bizarre. I am really about done with Fat Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    They have an elite defense - I think everyone expected that this would be a tough night for the offense.

The defense on the other hand - it's not like Seattle is the class of the league. They are good, but if you stop their running game and make them 1 dimensional, make Wilson beat you... they really don't have that many passing game weapons.

So there is a reason the offense struggled - the only reason the defense struggled, well maybe not the only reason, but the biggest reason the defense struggled (struggles) is b/c of dunderdummy and his mind-numbingly idiotic 2-4.

Nothing has changed from last year - our season is already over b/c of it. Capers is going to run that 2-4 all the way to another 25-32 finish in defense. No way can we compete with the elite teams in this league with a defensive coordinator who refuses to adjust and make the necessary changes.
    Statistically, and elite offense vs an elite defense should be pretty close to a 50/50 proposition. Green Bay's offense has been stifled by elite defenses to an unsettling degree of consistency. They should, at times, be able to dictate those games and that has not been the case for the last couple of years.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Statistically, and elite offense vs an elite defense should be pretty close to a 50/50 proposition. Green Bay's offense has been stifled by elite defenses to an unsettling degree of consistency. They should, at times, be able to dictate those games and that has not been the case for the last couple of years.
    That's certainly not due to a lack of quality skill position players - it is due to the OL and TT/MM's philosophy which rejects run blocking offensive linemen. The only way we can run the ball, is if we can pass the ball to set up the run.

It's the same old stuff with this team.

Still as I've explained, the offense has a track record of righting the ship over time - the defense being a mess is a constant.

We simply are not a legit contender, and as long as Dom Capers is our DC - we have no shot at another SB. The SB 3+ years ago really was a 'fart in the wind'. We got on a roll offensively, and only had to play flawed teams, very flawed teams, to win the title.

Now, some legit teams have risen up and we simply cannot compete with them. That's been proven over and over again... in embarrassing fashion I would add. In post-game coverage, some Packer analysts were talking about how in the last few years, we are 0-6 against the tough, physical, defensive minded teams like Seattle and SF.

We simply are not a contender - not with a defense like that.
    wist

This defense in just poorly coached period. I coach 11-12 year old football and the easiest way to move the ball is misdirection, making three or four total opposite plays look just alike, trying to make the defense figure out who has the ball. Having 3 kids chasing a kid who doesnt even have the ball. Having your fastest guy just flying around as a decoy while the defense is drawn to him like a moth to a flame. Thats exactly what Sea did to us last night, they ran Pop Warner plays, playactions, our players were frozen. One play Peppers literally looked like he was playing freeze tag and was "it" while the guy ran past him, We were chasing guys who didnt even have the ball.

That screen to Lynch when they ran Harvin to the opposite side sucked in all the GB defense and tossed it to Lynch, MAN WE RUN THAT PLAY!!!!

I've seen 12 year old teams play the read option better than GB last night and thats no joke.

No lane/gap discipline, horrible outdated schemes. Its time to give Capers some much needed time off, he obviously is still running plays from his Steelers/ Panthers days. Anybody still calling this guy a guru, is living in the past.

Offseason, whoever is available on Sea or SF defensive staff for a DC position SIGN HIM.

1250 WSSP... they're just ripping the defense apart, lol...

wist

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Rodgery View Post
    This defense in just poorly coached period. I coach 11-12 year old football and the easiest way to move the ball is misdirection, making three or four total opposite plays look just alike, trying to make the defense figure out who has the ball. Having 3 kids chasing a kid who doesnt even have the ball. Having your fastest guy just flying around as a decoy while the defense is drawn to him like a moth to a flame. Thats exactly what Sea did to us last night, they ran Pop Warner plays, playactions, our players were frozen. One play Peppers literally looked like he was playing freeze tag and was "it" while the guy ran past him, We were chasing guys who didnt even have the ball.

That screen to Lynch when they ran Harvin to the opposite side sucked in all the GB defense and tossed it to Lynch, MAN WE RUN THAT PLAY!!!!

I've seen 12 year old teams play the read option better than GB last night and thats no joke.

No lane/gap discipline, horrible outdated schemes. Its time to give Capers some much needed time off, he obviously is still running plays from his Steelers/ Panthers days. Anybody still calling this guy a guru, is living in the past.

Offseason, whoever is available on Sea or SF defensive staff for a DC position SIGN HIM.
    LeRoy Butler was just commenting on wssp, that he did a double take, and had to rewind it to make he saw what he saw...

He said there was 1 play up the middle where Brad Jones was just completely frozen, and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix had to literally throw him out of the way to get a hit on the ball carrier, lol...
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Rodgery View Post

The thing is Capers shouldn't be here NOW, the fact that TT keeps him proves that TT is far from being one of the best GM's in the NFL.

TT leaves it to MM to pick his coaches. He could demand a change, but that definitely changes their dynamic.

I think what happened last night was largely determined by who was active. By having only 4 d-linemen active, they almost had to play nickel most of the night. It might have had a chance to work if the Packers had gotten ahead and forced Seattle to abandon the running game. But when just the opposite happened, the Packers simply didn't have the horses to survive the onslaught. The decision to have active only 4 d-linemen against Seattle's offense was questionable at best.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Yeah unfortunately, as long as MM is here, we know that Capers will be DC and Slocum will coach ST. Is this year 7 of Slocum and we continue to have coaching issues on ST (too many men on the field, stupid penalties). DC came in and had a 1 year improvement like he does everywhere. Now he was grown complacent and his defense sucks, like it has done everywhere he has been.