Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I was very impressed with the pass rush until the fourth quarter, and disappointed in the way the line seemed to bend on the running game - things looked bottled up, but a running back would push the line and end up with five or six yards.
    Is it just me, or do Hawk and Lattimore play deeper than most inside LB's? It seems they are always 5-6 yards behind the LOS. Maybe that accounts for the "running back push" you mentioned.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Is it just me, or do Hawk and Lattimore play deeper than most inside LB's? It seems they are always 5-6 yards behind the LOS. Maybe that accounts for the "running back push" you mentioned.
    I've always assumed that's to allow them to not be completely out of position when the time comes for them to make a play. ILB play really appears to be the huge weak link in this D now. It's glaring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I've always assumed that's to allow them to not be completely out of position when the time comes for them to make a play. ILB play really appears to be the huge weak link in this D now. It's glaring.
    That's probably Dom's thinking. Compensating for their lack of speed (Hawk's) and inexperience (Lattimore). Look at game film from other teams and the inside backers are much closer to the LOS. They fill the gaps quicker. I'd move ours up a yard or two.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Yes, its part of the pass alignment, if you see them back there 6 yards deep, they are playing pass first.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I am not the x's and o's guy like many here, but I'm gonna guess they play off the LOS so much so they don't give up the middle of the field in the passing game. They were flying to the ball much better last night, and were a lot cleaner than previous weeks.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I am not the x's and o's guy like many here, but I'm gonna guess they play off the LOS so much so they don't give up the middle of the field in the passing game. They were flying to the ball much better last night, and were a lot cleaner than previous weeks.
    You're probably right. That's similar to what pbmax was saying. The trouble is they seem to be in that position 90% of the time, whether it's Hawk and Lattimore or Hawk and the nickle back. I rewatched the game yesterday and there was a 3rd and 4 play for the Bears. Hawk and House (I think) were 6 yards deep. Ponder gave the ball to Asiata who was 6 yards deep. Asiata beat Hawk to the line of scrimmage (along with a lead blocker)! Hawk made a good tackle but Asiata was already two yards beyond the LOS and his momentum carried him three yards more for a first down. Hawk had no chance.

It's just frustrating to watch.