Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
What we saw against the Bears was a microcosm of what we should have been seeing for the past 2-3 years - and with the beefier DL we had in those years we could have used them in an effective rotation depending on opponent. Against run heavy teams like SF and Minnesota? go to a heavier 3-4; against the New Englands and Denvers of the world, rotate the smaller quicker guys.

The one thing that should never be done is abandon the middle of the field and simply concede the run - which is what dunderdummy has been doing forever.

Against the Bears, dunderdummy lined up primarily in the Elephant as his base - but it was the personnel and where they were playing that made it effective. Perry was playing elephant - at least in most of the snaps I saw (I wasn't able to watch every snap unfortunately), and Matthews was playing ILB - something I've suggested several times only to have PackerRat Nation scream HERESY!!!!

I assume MM and TT sat dunderdummy down and explained the facts of defense to that idiot, and they used the bye week to adjust - should have been done 2 years ago, if not before that!!!

We'll see if this was just a 1 week fart in the wind, or if MM and TT have demanded changes and enforced the law. If the changes stick, I think we can see an improvement to at least a 10-15 defensive ranking, and that might be enough to launch us back into contender status.

I would never have thought I'd see dunderdummy forced into making the necessary adjustments, but the Chicago game has given me hope.

We'll see.
They played one down of 3-4 according to McGinn and according to Wilde, Matthews was not playing the 4-3 Quad they displayed earlier this year (he labeled it abandoned).

You saw the 2-4-5 nickel in action all night. Daniels and a rotation of Boyd/Guion/Jones.

The only additional beef was Perry instead of Jones/Lattimore/Barrington.