Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    That's more of an amoeba look... don't know what Ryan's problems are - one thing I know for sure, Dom Capers can't care Rob Ryan's jock.

Capers couldn't care less about the middle of the field, and he's proven that for several years running. Whether it is stopping the run up the middle, or making receivers pay over the middle - Capers simply doesn't think that is real estate worth contesting. There is definitely an undeniable lack of execution/adjustments, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to stop the run. What did he do in the Jets game that finally slowed them down? We all agree that we don't like what we are seeing, but Capers doesn't want to stop the run. Don't buy that.

The Bears smashed us over and over again up the middle and over the middle... that's all on Capers. He simply doesn't belong in the league anymore - hopefully TT will get that figured out by years end. There's no denying what we all saw with our own eyes, over and over. Again, I assert, is this just schematic? Could another DC take the same set of guys and mold them into a competitive defense? Not saying keep Capers...I'm saying we might need more help. I believe talent can overcome scheme because good football players have talent that shows out

We win a game b/c of our offense, and suddenly you guys think we have a defense?? lol... More good news - we get to play the anemic Vikings on Thursday... On our way to the SB again are we?? You guys are such bandwagon jumpers - both on and off You chastise, but do you seriously think there are people on this forum who would defend that effort on run defense? I'm glad the offense got up big and had a cushion, but that is nothing to rely on if you are the defense. We don't like it either, Wist.
    Capers most likely won't be fired in-season; that doesn't seem like their style, and they'd have to have a plan for succession, They'll just have to make whatever adjustments they can, and make the best of this season. I hope they get it together.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

That's more of an amoeba look... don't know what Ryan's problems are - one thing I know for sure, Dom Capers can't care Rob Ryan's jock.

Capers couldn't care less about the middle of the field, and he's proven that for several years running. Whether it is stopping the run up the middle, or making receivers pay over the middle - Capers simply doesn't think that is real estate worth contesting. There is definitely an undeniable lack of execution/adjustments, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to stop the run. What did he do in the Jets game that finally slowed them down? We all agree that we don't like what we are seeing, but Capers doesn't want to stop the run. Don't buy that.

The Bears smashed us over and over again up the middle and over the middle... that's all on Capers. He simply doesn't belong in the league anymore - hopefully TT will get that figured out by years end. There's no denying what we all saw with our own eyes, over and over. Again, I assert, is this just schematic? Could another DC take the same set of guys and mold them into a competitive defense? Not saying keep Capers...I'm saying we might need more help. I believe talent can overcome scheme because good football players have talent that shows out

We win a game b/c of our offense, and suddenly you guys think we have a defense?? lol... More good news - we get to play the anemic Vikings on Thursday... On our way to the SB again are we?? You guys are such bandwagon jumpers - both on and off. You chastise, but do you seriously think there are people on this forum who would defend that effort on run defense? I'm glad the offense got up big and had a cushion, but that is nothing to rely on if you are the defense. We don't like it either, Wist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Capers most likely won't be fired in-season; that doesn't seem like their style, and they'd have to have a plan for succession, They'll just have to make whatever adjustments they can, and make the best of this season. I hope they get it together.
    There has been nonstop support for Capers schemes on this board. I criticize the 2-4, and with few exceptions, everyone on this board freaks out and breathlessly defend it - afterall, how can you defend the TE, or the RB out of the backfield, or the 3rd WR??

We get gashed in the run game - but oh no!! we must, we must continue to run the 2-4 b/c it is the only sensible option, right??

It isn't Capers, it's the players, right??

------------------------------------------------------------

Most Packerrats spent most of the offseason being critical of Capers, but at the same time defending the 2-4.

Now Capers comes out with a different scheme - but he's still fundamentally flawed in the same ways - the most obvious being that he doesn't defend the middle of the field, and he doesn't care about winning the LOS.

Cutler fumbles the snap, and roots around on the ground for a couple of seconds - stands up, and realizes there isn't a defender in front of him for 20 yds, and he rumbles right up the middle for 16 yds on 4th and 1?? WTF is wrong with that picture??

Capers biggest problem is that he thinks every single stinking snap is a pass; yes, it is a passing league by and large, but if you don't defend the run at all, your opponent doesn't need to pass.

We gave up another 235 yds rushing again yesterday. Capers is a complete disaster - there's just no getting around it.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    There has been nonstop support for Capers schemes on this board.
    Ahh, you equate 1-2 people discussing things with the entire board. I'm really starting to get your rants lately. Maybe I'm going crazy too?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Ahh, you equate 1-2 people discussing things with the entire board. I'm really starting to get your rants lately. Maybe I'm going crazy too?
    He's right though, the general consensus of the Kool-aid crowd is that no other aspect of the game matters much as long as Rodgers plays well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    As Bruce Willis said in Die Hard, "Welcome to the party pal... "

And yes, I'm sure your name has been added to the "undesireables" list... off to reeducation for us soon enough

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the X's and O's of football... it is like building a house - you have to have a solid foundation, and what crazy shit you do after that is up to you. If you don't have a solid foundation, however, the building will collapse. Frank Lloyd Wright used to build some of the nuttiest looking shit imaginable, but what he built was stable and solidly founded. The same applies to just about any systemic platform.

What Capers does is fundamentally unsound, b/c if you don't control the LOS, and you're weak up the middle - you can't win consistently. Maybe your team has enough talent to cover up for the flawed philosophical approach against less talented teams; but, against a tough opponent who takes those fundamentals seriously - you're going to get slapped around, and you're more than likely going to lose; and that is what we have been witness to for the past 3-4 years.

At this early stage of the season, it looks like the teams to beat in the NFC are Seattle, Dallas, Detroit, and maybe Arizona... all of those teams are tougher and more physical than we are. Philly isn't bad - but I'm not sold on Foles.

Maybe SF, NO, and Carolina rebound, I don't know... but the NFC isn't looking like the juggernaut we all thought it would be. And don't forget the Giants - they are suddenly showing signs of life again - a team that has been slow to round into form in the past, and a team that has whipped our asses in the trenches twice on their way to winning Superbowls.

Unless MM and Capers take their blinders off and adopt a tougher, more physical mindset and approach - we're not going anywhere this year.
    wist