Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    http://theadvocate.com/sports/saints...are-proof-that

Good read from the link above. I've gotten into reading about how to stop the run from the nickel, since the nickel is accounting for more and more snaps league-wide. Nice shout out to Fritz Shurmur in the article (or Fitz if you notice the typo). This article has a New Orleans slant, but still talks about the trend league-wide. I have a question. Is the difference between Nickel and Dime always the third safety in place of a linebacker? The article mentioned Big Nickel where the safety replaces a linebacker so you not only have coverage but run support. Do the Packers ever do Nickel where they take Hawk out and substitute another safety? Richardson might be good for that role if that was the case. People here have long disparaged Hawk's coverage ability, so who would you rather have on the field when you are betting on pass, but still wanting to stop the run?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post

Good read from the link above. I've gotten into reading about how to stop the run from the nickel, since the nickel is accounting for more and more snaps league-wide. Nice shout out to Fritz Shurmur in the article (or Fitz if you notice the typo). This article has a New Orleans slant, but still talks about the trend league-wide. I have a question. Is the difference between Nickel and Dime always the third safety in place of a linebacker? The article mentioned Big Nickel where the safety replaces a linebacker so you not only have coverage but run support. Do the Packers ever do Nickel where they take Hawk out and substitute another safety? Richardson might be good for that role if that was the case. People here have long disparaged Hawk's coverage ability, so who would you rather have on the field when you are betting on pass, but still wanting to stop the run?
    I think the Packers go more with the Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde rotation. Hyde seems to be more CB than S to me.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

To me this might be an intriguing possibility. I'm not suggesting Richardson play linebacker, but that he play as an extra safety - but perhaps closer to the LOS. He could cover tight ends but still be around the LOS in case of a run, as in a third-and-four situation.

I wonder if this is realistic.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Do the Packers ever do Nickel where they take Hawk out and substitute another safety?
    Hawk has played almost every snap this year, so not yet. I think we have the personnel to run Big Nickel. San Fran was projected to use the Big Nickel as their quasi base defense--with Jimmie Ward as the third safety. Similar to Hyde in that he's kind of a S/CB tweener.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson